Bastille Day, July 2012

Jan 2nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Bastille Day, July 2012

We're planning way ahead for our July 2012 trip to Paris. We have our apartment arranged and are just waiting to find a halfway decent airfare if that's at all possible. We will be there for Bast ille Day and plan to go out to Longchamps for a night at the races the Grand Prix de Paris. We will be heading back into the city before or around the time the fireworks will be getting started. We'll probably try to get on the metro at Porte Autueil (line 10) and wonder where to go to be part of the festivities but not in the thick of it. I've read everything about the Eiffel Tower area and think I'd like to steer clear of that. What's going on at the Bastille area as we will be heading in that general direction for our apartment?
Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I guess I should have given this a more interesting title, but I'm not real creative that way.

Basically I would like to know if anyone has any ideas about where to celebrate Bastille Day in Paris besides the Eiffel Tower area.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:30 AM

I think your title is perfectly fine
I can't help except to attach some links but wanted to chime in that I'm going in July as well and am waiting on that airfare, too. Ugghh!

Here are a couple of threads re. Bastille Day

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...whats-open.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...onale-2011.cfm

Good luck!
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM

If you want to see fireworks, but not at Eiffel, could go to Trocadero, but I would think crowds would also be crazy there.

I've stayed in the 16th, near Metro Mirabeau. I walked down to Seine and checked out Eiffel tower from there. Maybe Pont Mirabeau or Pont Grenelle?
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM

Trocadéro is no good for the fireworks -- that is where they shoot them from, so it is all closed off.

If you are on line 10, it is perfect for a good view from the Champ de Mars. Just take the metro the La Motte Piquet-Grenelle and walk a few blocks in front of Ecole Militaire. The huge crowds will be pushing forward towards the Eiffel Tower, so if you hang back a bit, you don't have to worry about them and you will still get a perfect view and maybe even the sound system which greatly enhances the experience. (People who don't actually go to the Champ de Mars never realize that half of the show is the music.)

The fireworks never start before 22:45 although the official time is 22:30.

When you want to leave, it is best to walk at least one metro station "upstream" before taking the metro. Most people will be jamming onto the metro at the closest stations and walking just one station before the jam makes all the difference in the world.
Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. It's much appreciated.
Jan 17th, 2012, 07:57 AM

Sorry for hijacking this post -

My mom's planning to fly out of Paris on July 14th; will it be crazy trying to get to the airport in the morning (or even trying to find food, make her way around)? Should I tell her to book a day earlier/later?

Thank you!
Jan 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM

Best to start another thread.

Where is she staying? She can prebook a taxi, take RER...

I suppose another day in Paris owuld be nice
Jan 17th, 2012, 09:11 AM

It's not the end of the world, why would it be difficult to find food or get to the airport? It's just a national holiday and kind of slow, actually, because of that. Of course it is closed off around the Champs-Elysees for the military "parade", but when I've been there for that date, given I have only gone to that once, you didn't even know anything was going on if you were in other areas of the city.
Jan 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM

It's a non-event as far as finding food or getting to the airport.
Jan 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Was just wondering! It's my mom and brother's first time travelling to a place where they have to figure things out for themselves (ie. without tour guides) so I was just trying to make it easier for them but thanks for this info, I'll let her know it shouldn't be a problem.