Search

Bastille area accommodation - noise?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2023, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bastille area accommodation - noise?

Hello,

I'm a bit late booking accommodation for Paris in mid-March. I've found (I think) a decent VRBO option in the Bastille area but am somewhat concerned about noise. (I've stayed in Paris many, many times but never in this neighborhood). The location looks to be above or very near the restaurant "La Rotonde" at 17 Rue de la Roquette, 75011. First floor. Any words of wisdom? While we don't to be somewhere totally dull, we definitely a good night's sleep! For context, we're 50.

Merci d'avance!
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
There is a lot of nightlife there but not particularly rowdy. If you were in the middle of rue de Lappe, though, you probably wouldn't want to sleep with the windows open. Most complaints I have heard -- but this concerns all of Paris where there are cafés and restaurants -- are about trash collection around 6 a.m.
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 01:36 PM

I don't think it's a neighborhood issue as much as an issue with the setting of that particular apt and the area. I would never ever book an apt on the first floor overlooking a busy commercial street and over a cafe/restaurant even if iot weren't rowdy. That is about the intersection of several streets (Daval, Lappe and Roquette, I think). And that cafe ios right at the intersection but those are narrow streets and there is no vegetation of any kind. I mean there are no trees, etc., it's just a very narrow old section of Paris. I would personally never stay in a location like that as I really really hate noise. I choose apts in outer more residential areas wiht broader boulevards or not on a commercial street, etc. But I don't care about being in the dead center of Paris, you just get a different streetscape in those old narrow parts of Paris, of course.

If you know how to use Google streetview, just take a look. That would have to be noisy, I think.

But it depends on the situation of the apt, also. For example, once I rented an apt on rue Mouffetard and you'd think that would noisy but it wasn't at all because it was inside a building with a courtyard and the apts looked into it, not onto rue Mouffetard. But I suspect there wouldn't be that type of building at the location you named. But you just know the situation and description in that regard. If it were first floor but back of the apt and only overlooked some courtyard inner area, maybe it would work. Are there reviews on the noise issue? There usually are, but I think the owners can delete any they don't like, not sure.

Is it this one?
https://www.vrbo.com/2910145

That actually could be ok as it does look into a courtyard. But it doesn't say first floor, it doesn't mention floor that I see, so I suspect that isn't the one. Maybe you should consider it, though. I saw another one that also said it looked into an interior ctyd in that area but it also doesn't mention the floor. I really dislike it when the ad doesn't tell you the floor.

If you
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Kerouac: Merci bien! Non-rowdy is key.

Christina: I think you're right about the first floor, and very kind of you to look at the VRBO listings. The one I'm looking at is 2084507 and as it doesn't mention a courtyard or "quiet", so probably worst case for noise. (And only two reviews, which isn't a good sign.) I think you've confirmed my gut!

Last edited by rali; Feb 12th, 2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old Feb 13th, 2023, 01:15 PM

That's kind of odd as I can't find its location, the bedroom clearly looks out onto a narrow street with a bright pink facade and I don't see one around there on Google streetview unless theypainted.

I am always a little suspicious when you only see two reviews and they are two years apart or something. It could be benign and they just rented it twice, but I wonder. there was another one in that area that looked onto a nice inner ctyd but I couldn't find it now, but I didn't know you wanted a 2 BR anyway.