Reload this Page >

opinion about bastille area in paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
rahul

I have got a hotel reservation in the bastille area in paris. <BR><BR>Any opinions about the area? Unsafe.. etc?<BR><BR>Thanks, R.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:09 PM
RJD

I have stayed in the Bastille area many times. It's a trendy upcoming area that is both safe and fun. The rue de la Roquette for example contains many shops-an upscale resturant, The Blue Elephant, a nice wine bar, etc. The metro is right at the square, in front of a lively cafe, where I suggest you stop for a Pernod.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 02:31 PM
bill

The Bastille area is a great area, full of life, especially at night. Bofinger is a great place to eat and the China Club a fun place to party.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:36 PM
topping

tttttttt

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:42 PM
CJ

The area was scary in the '80s, but it is now very happening, with the opera and lots of fun restaurants. If you get sick of French food, try the Blue Elephant for some excellent Thai food in a very fun, jungle-like decor. Thai dancers and musicians parade the restaurant around 9 pm. It got an excellent write-up in Bon Appetit magazine. Some locals took us there and we loved it.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:44 PM
Betsy

While I don't stay in the Marais because of a hotel I feel loyal to, The Marais is where I like to go at night. There are really great small shops. Many are owned by up and coming designers and the prices are great.