Basque Itinerary

Search

Basque Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basque Itinerary

I have been reading posts and have come up with this itinerary. We fly into Bilbao. We rent a car and drive to French Basque (St. Jean de Luz or Barritz) for a few nights. then go to St. Etienne for a few nights. We then have to be in San Sabastian where we will spend 4 nights. Back to Bilbao for 3 nights. Does this sound like too much moving around? Should we pick one place in France and explore from there? Help!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:17 PM

St Jean de Luz would be my choice hands down.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 08:43 PM

Yes, you should select one place in the Pays Basque (Biarritz area) and up to two in the Pais Vasco (Bilbao and San Sebastian-Donostia). You can explore the areas on day trips. Nothing is more then a three hour drive from any of these locations, including the Rioja Alavesa from Bilbao or SS.

Spend more of your time enjoying yourself instead of packing and unpacking.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:42 AM

I don't have much to add to the previous commentary, except to say that 3 days in Bilbao might be a little too much. There isn't a whole lot to see there at all, other than the Guggenheim.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Woyzeck, when was the last time you where in Bilbao? The city continues to change daily. The city is fast become the business center for northern Spain, but it is also expanding in the arts. There are at least 6 other major museums to visit besides the Guggenheim. There are also two-dozen art galleries worth visiting and dozens of great restaurants to try including the Martin Berasategi run Guggenheim Bilbao which gets one of the top rating in the gastronomic guide of the País Vasco. Somehow three days seems hardly enought. You might have to plan a second trip.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM

Robert2533,

I am surprised by your information and, if that is the case, I retract what I say completely.

I was in Bilbao in September of 2001. I must admit, we were not originally planning to visit the city, but decided at the last minute to spend 2 days there. We had little preparation and ended up just walking around a lot after we had visited the Guggenheim.

So my experience probably had more to do with my own lack of preparation than the city itself. I am sorry to jump to conclusions, when I should leave such questions to those who know better than I!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Woyzeck, just remember that any input is helpful in understanding an area. We all see things differently. I happen to have a friend who is a reasonably famous Basque chef who know other great chefs and have friends in the area, so we see things from a different perspective. But once again, the more input, the better the experience. I can be in Bilbao and see it from a different viewpoint each time.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:54 AM

As other people indicated, this region is pretty easy to explore by car. You can take the local roads or the autopista toll road. Have a great time!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. We are looking forward to exploring.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:51 AM
rex

When are you leaving? Since this post originated over two months ago, you may have all tyour planning done.

While the advice from Robert is certainly sound, I am in the process of preparing our machine-gun-too-rapid whirlwind 2.5 days in the Pais Vasco and Pays Basque - - and if you are good at moving from point A to point B without a lot of fuss, you CAN move as often as you wish.

Since the trip report will still be a little bit, here are some thoughts, if you can still use them...

Biarritz - - I guess the sea is beautiful all along Bay of Biscay, but wow, we were mightily impressed at Biarritz (just a dinner, and a seaside walk of about 45 minutes). We ate at Le Bounty - - quite a contrast to the (no doubt) impressive (and expensive?) alternatives that overlook the sea there. Recommended by a local and we were very, very happy with this <u>little</u> and uninspiring-looking place.

San Sebastian - - must-see, in my opinion - - the Eduardo Chillida &quot;Museum&quot; (much of it is a grassy park with sculptures scattered all about) in Hernani, about 10 minutes out into the suburbs of SS. Liked it a lot.

Bilbao - - (well, actually, the &quot;Balkon de Euskadi&quot between SS and Bilbao, in the general vicinity of Gernika-to-Leikitio - - extraordinary vista(s), and I can recommend the <i>casa rural</i> <u>Garro</u> (see www.nekatur.net for more info) if you would like great hospitality, in a wonderful old farmhouse - - in a truly middle-of-nowhere, tranquil country setting.

Best wishes,

Rex