Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Basel train station: long-term parking???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm needing to purchase tickets asap, BUT...Does the the Basel train station have long-term parking available ??? We'd need to leave our rental car there for three days. Thanks!
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 09:02 PM

http://www.parkleitsystem-basel.ch/p...ahnparking.php

This "Parkhaus" has direct access to the train station. They're located on Gartenstrasse 150. They charge CHF 100 for 3 days.

Please note that they're NOT in the train station but close by. I think you would want to drop your suitcases off at the station unless you travel light.

As far as I know, there is longterm parking in the station but it's difficult to get a space. If you contact the SBB Reisebüro (Travel Centre) in the station, they ought to be able to tell you.
Tel. +41(0)51 229 24 62 Hours: Mo to Fr 9am to 7pm; Sat 9am to 4pm.
Good luck
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Waggis, thank you kindly for the helpful information. I got to the point a few days ago where I knew I had to purchase the tickets ASAP, so I actually wound up calling the Basel train station in the middle of the night (I was up anyway...too much on my mind!). The friendly English-speaking employee at the train station gave me the phone number for the Central Bahn Parking, so I then proceeded to call them. A man who only spoke Swiss-German answered, and I had to dig really deep to inquire about long-term parking in German! It was amusing, to say the least. He quoted me the same CHF 100 for three days. Wow! That's $113 US. It'll be fine, though. That'll work out better for us than taking a train or bus to Basel's train station from Germany. Thank you again for your help!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:15 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you. You're a brave soul to have figured out our dialect!!!
While the fee is hefty, we used to pay $35 in NYC for a few hours at the theater.
Have a great trip!