8 Day Itinerary Critique

Apr 21st, 2011, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

8 Day Itinerary Critique

I have created a rough draft of my itinerary for my trip to Paris this summer. This will not be followed exactly, I know it will change when we're there, I just want to know if you guys think it is a good itinerary for time, walking etc...

Saturday, June 4 – Arrive
8:35 am
-Arrive in Paris, France at 8:35 am at the ORLY airport
-After retrieving baggage then proceed to buy tickets for the OrlyVal + RER (10,25 euros/person)
-Depart on OrlyVal
-Go to lockbox to retrieve key and put luggage in the apartment
-After walk around Champs Elysees neighborhood, and potentially get groceries. Discover restaurants, bakeries, patisseries etc...
-Eat dinner at a cheap restaurant / make something in apartment, then get to bed earlier than normal

Sunday, June 5 – Louvre
Morning
-Walk towards the Louvre (opens 9 am), grabbing cheap breakfast along the way, along the Champs Elysees and then through the Concorde area
-Enter the Louvre (free admission on the first Sunday of every month) and explore the museum for a couple of hours

Afternoon
-After exploring the Louvre, exit, and tour the Jardins des Tuileries (potentially have a picnic)
-Walk towards Musee d’Orsay crossing Pont Royal to get tickets for another day to bypass lines (5,50 euros/person)
-Walk along the Seine towards Notre Dame, climb to the top, and explore that neighborhood a bit (4,80 euros/person)

Evening
-Find cheap place for dinner in the area and discover some bars etc...
-Either walk balk to apartment or take the metro depending on how we are feeling

Monday, June 6 – Sacre Coeur
Morning
-Sleep in
-Leave apartment and stroll along the Champs Elysees area
-Take metro towards the Galeries Lafayette (10 story department store in Paris) and look around for a while (buy carnet of 10 tickets, 12 euros)

Afternoon
-Find some where to grab a cheap lunch and then head towards Sacre Coeur
-After Sacre Coeur stroll around Montmartre area

Evening
-Find cheap place for dinner
-Take metro back towards Champs Elysees area
-Go to Arc de Triomphe and walk to the top (5,50 euros/person)
-Stroll around Champs Elysees, discover bars etc...

Tuesday, June 7 – Disneyland Paris
All day
-Eat breakfast in apartment
-Take RER line A towards Disneyland Paris (6,45 euros/person)
-Spend all day here, and then take RER line A back to Champs Elysees area (6,45 euros/person)

Wednesday, June 8 – Musée d’Orsay / Cruise on the Seine
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, then take metro to Musée d’Orsay area
-Go in line to the right of the main line (tickets already purchased)
-Explore museum for a couple of hours

Afternoon
-Head over to Luxembourg Gardens for a picnic
-Stroll around the Latin Quarter and Marais area

Evening
-Find a cheap place for dinner
-Head over to Vedettes du Pont Neuf for night cruise on the Seine (9:30 pm or 10:00 pm) [arrive 30 minutes prior to ensure seat on top of the boat]

Thursday, June 9 – Eiffel Tower
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, or find cheap bakery/patisserie in area
-Stroll around Champs Elysees area, do some window / real shopping

Afternoon
-Head towards Eiffel Tower area
-Stroll around, have a picnic in Champs du Mars area
-After a while, eventually go buy tickets to Eiffel Tower and wait in line (11,80 euros/person)

Evening
-Head up to the top of the tower admiring the views
-Maybe grab a glass of champagne on top depending on price
-Descend to the bottom of the tower and head back to Champs Elysees area
-Maybe go to a bar or two depending on prices and how we’re feeling (maybe Showcase club?)

Friday, June 10 – Tour Montparnasse
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, then stroll around Champs Elysees area
-Find some snacks, window shop, etc...

Afternoon
-Head to Tour Montparnasse and head up to the top (7 euros/person)
-After this descend to the bottom and head towards the Luxembourg gardens for a picnic
-Walk along the Seine back towards the Champs Elysees area

Evening
-Stroll around Champs Elysees, find a bar / club depending on drink prices

Saturday, June 11 – Marais / Latin Quarter
Morning
-Head over towards Marais / Latin Quarter area

Afternoon
-Stroll around, find cheap place for lunch, do some shopping maybe

Evening
-Find a bar and go for a couple drinks
-Head back towards Champs Elysees for the last night in Paris
-Make sure to clean up apartment / wash linens etc...

Sunday, June 12 – Depart
Morning
-Check out of apartment at 11 am
-Depart “Charles de Gaulle Etoile” with direction “Chatelet” using RER line A. Next, take RER line B from “Chatelet” to “Anthony” station. Finally, take OrlyVal from “Anthony” station towards Orly airport (10,25 euros/person)

Afternoon
-Check in at airport and wait for return flight home

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks
Apr 22nd, 2011, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Also, what would be acceptable clothing in June for a guy and a girl? We are both young, 18 and 20. Would shorts be ok for the mornings and afternoons, and jeans/shorts maybe for the nights depending on the temperature?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

I was also thinking that on Friday, June 10 we could head out to Versailles for a half-day trip and visit the Chateau de Versailles...

Friday, June 10 – Versailles
Morning
-Take RER line C towards Versailles (2,95 euros/person)
-Buy tickets for Chateau de Versailles (15 euros/person)

Afternoon
-Look around and finish the tour
-Take RER line C back towards Paris (2,95 euros/person)

Evening

What do you think? If we are doing the Eiffel Tower, I do not think we need to do Tour Montparnasse... but what do you guys think?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:39 AM

Not sure why you want to do all that strolling around the Champs Elysées area - it's about the most sterile place in Paris.

The Tour Eiffel and the Tour Montparnasse could not be more diffferent. Of course you don't need to do both, but one is a world Expo monument and the other is an office building with a spectacular view of all Paris from the top (and a good, but expensive bar/.restaurant).

I don't think you need to do two Seine cruises. One, at night, should be fine. You might want to avail yourself of the Batobus to get around the city if you want to be on the water part of the time.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Well strolling around champs elysees is only because that is where our apartment is. We will not always be there, but when I say a stroll around champs elysees I am talking about for like 1 hour. I want do most of our strolling along the seine, the Latin quarter, and the marais area.

I think instead of tour montparnasse and Versailles we will just stroll around Paris for a day.

Let me know what you guys think. .
Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:36 PM

I think you are missing wonderful things in Paris by doing so much strolling around the Champs Elysees. There is so little to see there that one can cover it all in an hour or two. And don't look for "cheap" restaurants there, whatever you do. You should be able to find good, inexpensive ethnic restaurants in the Marais and the Latin Quarter. On the day you visit Notre Dame, be sure to see Sainte-Chappelle. On the day you visit the Luxembourg Gardens, visit the Musee Rodin and its sculpture gardens- a good place for a picnic. Visit a street market to find delicious produce to make a meal in your apartment. Have a wonderful time.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Ok I will definitely tweak the itinerary a bit later tonight. I will reduce strolling in the Champs Elysees area and add a bit more to the marais and Latin quarter areas. Also I will be sure to visit saint chapelle as I have had many suggestions to visit there.

Is it free to enter saint chapelle?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the feedback.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 01:28 PM

I suppose it's too late to switch to an apartment in a part of the city that two young people would actually enjoy living in for a week or so? Can't quite imagine why you chose an apartment in the Champs Elysées area, especially since prices there are so high.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 02:04 PM

Sainte Chappelle is not free. If you can get there early, as in right as it opens, you'll avoid the long lines. Same is true of the Notre Dame towers; get there early to avoid long lines. Problem is, those two are close to each other, and good to visit them both while you're in the area.

You can buy tickets, undated and untimed, for both the Louvre and the Musee d'Orsay. You can have them sent to you, or pick them up at various department stores in Paris. Then you can avoid the long ticket lines, and have more time for strolling around Paris.

When you spend time in the Latin Quarter, which is definitely full of young people, also head over to the 6th Arr., St. Germain. Also very lively, lots of outdoor cafes, but a slightly different atmosphere than the Latin Quarter. Check out both areas to see which you like best!

Re clothing, many people will say to wear whatever you want. Generally speaking, however, fewer people wear shorts in large cities in Europe than perhaps do in the U.S. (though I don't know how many people wear shorts in downtown NYC or Chicago). You may find jeans to be too warm in June. I'm a female, and I tend to wear skirts, as I hate capris and the like, and only wear shorts when I'm hiking or running where I live in the U.S. Obviously, a personal opinion kind of thing.

And I tend to agree with StCirq about the location of your apartment...
Apr 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Does it cost money just to enter Saint chapelle? Also, we will be visiting the Latin quarter and saint Germain des pres a lot.

Also where do you buy your tickets to the louvre and musee d'orsay in advance? Can you buy them online?

For the location of our apartment I have been to Paris before and I like the champs elysees area. Further, I liked that the apartment has 24 hour security and that there is a security guard in the night hours. Also, most of our time will be spent away from champs elysees, but I like coming back to that area at night. I also chose that apartment because the owner was very communicative with me through phone and email and it just felt right. That is why I decided to go with that apartment and I have no regrets.

Thanks again!
Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Ok here is the updated itinerary. Let me know what you think of this one...

Saturday, June 4 – Arrive
8:35 am
-Arrive in Paris, France at 8:35 am at the ORLY airport
-After arriving proceed to go through customs and retrieve baggage (if any bags are checked)
-After retrieving baggage then proceed to buy tickets for the OrlyVal + RER (10,25 euros/person)
-Depart on OrlyVal and head toward “Anthony” station (8 minutes). Then take RER line B from “Anthony” station to “Chatelet” (25 minutes). Finally, take RER line A from “Chatelet” to “Charles de Gaulle Etoile” (5 to 8 minutes)
-Walk to apartment (10 minutes)
-Go to lockbox to retrieve key and put luggage in the apartment
-After walk around Champs Elysees neighborhood, then go to metro and head to Galeries Lafayette by metro (buy carnet of 10 tickets, 12 euros)
-Next head to Sacre Coeur and get some lunch / dinner in Montmartre
-Head back to Champs Elysees and get some groceries for the apartment and head in for the night
Sunday, June 5 – Louvre
Morning
-Walk towards the Louvre (opens 9 am), grabbing cheap breakfast along the way, along the Champs Elysees and then through the Concorde area
-Enter the Louvre (free admission on the first Sunday of every month) and explore the museum for a couple of hours (maybe use Porte des Lions entrance?)
Afternoon
-After exploring the Louvre, exit, and tour the Jardins des Tuileries (potentially have a picnic)
-Walk towards Musee d’Orsay crossing Pont Royal to get tickets for another day to bypass lines (5,50 euros/person)
-Walk along the Seine towards Notre Dame, maybe climb to the top, and explore that neighborhood a bit (4,80 euros/person)
Evening
-Find cheap place for dinner in the area and discover some bars etc...
-Either walk balk to apartment or take the metro depending on how we are feeling
Monday, June 6 – Saint Chapelle
Morning
-Leave apartment and stroll along the Champs Elysees area heading towards metro
-Go to Saint Chapelle and go for 9:20 am (opens at 9:30 am), and explore the church a bit (8 euros/person)
Afternoon
-Grab some lunch either at a cheap cafe or a picnic in the Marais / Latin Quarter / Saint Germain des Pres area
-Stroll around the area, finding some shops etc...
Evening
-Find cheap place for dinner in the Marais / Latin Quarter areas
-Take metro back towards Champs Elysees area
-Go to Arc de Triomphe and walk to the top (5,50 euros/person)
-Stroll around Champs Elysees, discover bars etc...
Tuesday, June 7 – Disneyland Paris
All day
-Eat breakfast in apartment
-Take RER line A towards Disneyland Paris (6,45 euros/person)
-Spend all day here, and then take RER line A back to Champs Elysees area (6,45 euros/person)
Wednesday, June 8 – Musée d’Orsay / Cruise on the Seine
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, then take metro to Musée d’Orsay area
-Go in line to the right of the main line (tickets already purchased)
-Explore museum for a couple of hours
Afternoon
-Head over to Luxembourg Gardens for a picnic
-Stroll around the Latin Quarter and Marais area
Evening
-Head over to Vedettes du Pont Neuf for night cruise on the Seine (9:30 pm or 10:00 pm) [arrive 30 minutes prior to ensure seat on top of the boat]
Thursday, June 9 – Eiffel Tower
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, or find cheap bakery/patisserie in area
-Head towards Eiffel Tower area
Afternoon
-Stroll around, have a picnic in Champs du Mars area
-After a while buy tickets to Eiffel Tower and wait in line (11,80 euros/person)
-Head up to the top of the tower admiring the views
-Maybe grab a glass of champagne on top depending on price
-Descend to the bottom of the tower and head to the 11 arrondissement area (Rue Oberkampf / Place de Bastille etc...)
Evening
-Find place for dinner in the 11th (bar maybe...)
-Stay out and enjoy some nightlife
-Head back to Champs Elysees to apartment later in the night
Friday, June 10 – Tour Montparnasse
Morning
Find some snacks, window shop, etc...
Afternoon
-Head to Tour Montparnasse and head up to the top (7 euros/person)
-After this descend to the bottom and head towards the Luxembourg gardens for a picnic
-Walk along the Seine back towards the Champs Elysees area
Evening
Saturday, June 11 – Marais / Latin Quarter
Morning
-Eat breakfast in apartment, then head over to the Marais / Latin Quarter / Saint Germain des Pres area
Afternoon
-Stroll around, find cheap place for lunch, do some shopping maybe
Evening
-Find a bar and go for a couple drinks
-Head back towards Champs Elysees for the last night in Paris
-Make sure to clean up apartment / wash linens etc...
Sunday, June 12 – Depart
Morning
-Check out of apartment at 11 am
-Depart “Charles de Gaulle Etoile” with direction “Chatelet” using RER line A. Next, take RER line B from “Chatelet” to “Anthony” station. Finally, take OrlyVal from “Anthony” station towards Orly airport (10,25 euros/person)
Afternoon
-Check in at airport and wait for return flight home

What do you guys think? Feel free to tweak it as you please. I still think June 10 I am spending too much time in the Champs Elysees area, so what should I do instead?
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM

Are you from the U.S? If so, is there a particular reason why you are dedicating a day to Disneyland? That doesn't seem like it's necessarily the best use of your time or your money.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:35 PM

I suppose it's good to have a "structure" so as to ensure you don't overlook anything important, but to me the itinerary does seem a little over-planned. I agree with other posters about your chosen location but understand that's now committed. Last time we stayed in the Latin Qtr/Ste Germaine area but next time we'll be looking more toward the Marais district. Rue de Mouffetard has a good Sunday market, and you can pick up a good lunch there for a picnic in the Jardin de Luxembourg. Enjoy your trip.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM

Perhaps you have already been there and did not care for it, but IMHO, you are really missing an experience if you don't go to Versailles, especially with as much time as you have. Don't try to go for just a half day. Take the train and get there super early to beat the tour groups. Tour the Chateau. Then have a nice lunch in the town (which is very nice, small and borders the Chateau), and stroll through the lovely gardens in the afternoon. Or, get stuff for a picnic lunch in town, and eat in the gardens in the afternoon. Strolling through the gardens is lovely. You could rent a boat and row a for a bit. The town itself has a nice market and some nice little restaurants. Well worth the day.
I would do only one cruise on the Seine. Time it for very late afternoon/early evening, so it is light enough to see things, but have the lights go on before the trip is over.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Ok, well I was considering Versailles, but I wasn't sure, so I think for sure now I will go see it. We plan a day trip. I like the boat rowing idea. How much does it cost to rent one? We are only doing one cruise on the Seine.

We want to go to Disneyland for a day because that's just us. I grew up in an extreme Disney family, so that could be part of it. My girlfriend also wants to see it too. We were originally going to go for 7 days, but we changed it to 8 so we could spend an entire day there. Of course that could change while we're there, but we are planning for an entire day there.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:13 PM

Your picnics are a good idea as they will reduce food costs. Can I make a suggestion that you look for shops selling filled baguettes. You can find them at lots of the patisseries all over Paris. I would buy a baguette, a pastry and a drink and then head to your picnic locations.

Do go to Versailles as it's a great place to visit. It can be very crowded but don't let that bother you. You seem to be on a very strict budget so keep in mind that entry is relatively expensive. I don't know about the boats at Versailles, you can see it all very easily without going on the boats. We took a picnic lunch with us to Versailles and sat on the steps of the chateau and ate while we enjoyed the view of the gardens etc. You could do the same.
Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Entry to the Chateau is 15 euros per person I believe. Can anybody confirm this?

Well not a really strict budget, but we do not have unlimited money to spend either. I am just planning things out to see how much everything is going to cost. I was thinking 750 euros should be good for the 8 days. I added up 200 euros for all the activities and sights we want to see including transportation to them, and transportation to and from the airport. So that leaves 550 euros for the rest of the trip, approx. 70 euros a day for food, some little shopping etc... I think that that is enough for us. What do you guys think about that budget?