Search

Base in Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base in Croatia

Leave in 3 days, fly into Zadar from Pisa for 4 days ,may extend to 7 once there ,not sure. Can't decide whether to base in Zadar or Trogir, def want to see PLitvice Lakes. Nothin like waiting to the last minute Any and all opinions welcomed
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's my two Kunas worth:

Zadar to Plitvice is a two-hour drive. Spend two nights and a full day.
Drive from Plitvice to Trogir is 2 hours and 45 minutes - Two nights in Trogir with a 1/2 day trip down to Split and Diocletian's Palace
With a few extra days you could take the ferry from Split to Hvar and stay there for two or three nights.

Or you could take the car and go to Trogir first, then Plitvice and drive over to the Istrian Peninsula and beautiful Rovinj (about 3 1/2 hours from Plitvice).

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mttom! so 2 nights, 1 full days at plitvice? that sounds like a good plan.how are car rentals there, i don't drive stick and this may be a weird question but someone told me croatia has tons of scorpians, heard anything about this,lol.i'm gonna go check out u r report i remember seeing it.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM

LA...

When I was there in 2006 roads were great! I wasn't driving though!

My friend did the driving and we did rent a stick shift car, but the major highways are just like the autostrada, at least that's my experience...now the smaller roads along the coast can be more of a challenge.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 12:41 PM

" but someone told me croatia has tons of scorpians."

Heard a few of their songs on the radio, but didn't see any.

An automatic (if they have one) will cost you a lot more (we wanted a stick when we rented in Dubrovnik, but they only had an automatic and we got it for the same price). I don't know anything about renting cars in Zadar. Perhaps somebody out there has done this. Check with AutoEurope or Gemut.

What time do you get in? If it is later in day, then, yes, two nights and one full day would be advised. It takes 3 to 4 hours to hike upper and lower lakes, so you could do one night if you wanted. But it is so beautiful and relaxing.

Have fun.

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

i get in around 12:30 pm so have the whole day really, is that enough time to get to Plitvice and see the lakes and just stay that night and then head to trogir ( which btw is that a nicetown?)

btw-teehee on the musica reference
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM

"i get in around 12:30 pm so have the whole day really, is that enough time to get to Plitvice and see the lakes and just stay that night and then head to trogir ( which btw is that a nicetown?)"

Figuring you are going to have to rent a car, and the drive is 90 minutes, and you check into a hotel, my answer would be "No." You could see part of the park late that day, and a different part of the park the next morning. I also recommend if you do the entire 3 -4 hours at one time, start at the lower lakes.

As far as Trogir. We sent two nights there. It is small with not much to do, thus the 1/2 day trip to Split. Of our entire trip, I would have to say Trogir was my least favorite place (but better than Split). Trogir is cute, but just not a lot to do. You will get differing opinions from many on those two towns on which makes a better base. I was not impressed with Split (although Diocletian's Palace is cool).

If I were doing what you were doing, I would go to Plitvice for two nights and drive to Rovinj for three nights.
Or
Plitvice for two nights, Trogir for one night and Hvar (I've never been there but people on this board seem to love it) for a couple or three nights.

Don't know if you saw my tip report (click on my screen name and you will see it under trip reports), but when you get to the middle part it describes Trogir and Plitvice, while Rovinj is closer to the end (we went to Slovenia from Plitvice and then back to Rovinj).

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm reading it now, up to buza bar, i wish i had enough time for dubrovnik, i guess i could make the time, it looks like that is really spectacular. So I need to look at a map agian but am guessing rovinj is north of zadar? thanks again tom
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Yes, Rovinj is about four hours north of Zadar (FYI, it takes about four hours to drive from Trogir south to Dubrovnik). You stay on the same road for the entire way down to Dubrovnik. Yes, the Buza Bar is unbelievable! Three days in Dubrovnik is perfect (you might even be able to get into Montenegrp on a day trip if Mussolini is not at the border). be sure to walk the walls (after 2:30 or early in the morning before the attack of the Cruise Ship People).

I am nor familiar with any of the ferry schedules (I was hoping someone would chime in those) if you want to go to Hvar. Have fun. Croatia is great!!!

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM

LA...

If you do go to Hvar from Split there are regular ferries or the fast catamarans. I took a fast catamaran and got there in (I think) about 90 minutes (give or take). I liked Hvar, I was there for 5 days after a 17 day group tour, so I was really ready to do just about nothing. But there are some interesting things to see there.

Do try to fit in Dubrovnik...I loved it! And I second MaiTai's recommendations for not only Buza Bar but definitely do walk the city walls. I walked them twice, once at about 8:30am and again around 4:30pm...absolutely stunning views!
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately dubrovnik is not fitting in, I have 4 days and from Zadar to DUB just too far. Still not a decision in where to stay am trying to figure that out tonight . But thanks for all the input
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

OK decided to splurge extra couple hundred bucks and make my way to Dubrovnik, kind of think if I'm in Croatia should get down there. So

Mon arrive Zadar catch a bus to Plitvice, stay overnight, still need a place and that's tomorrow

Tues. 1/2 day at Plitvice catch a late afternoon bus to trogir stay there, found a place 60E looks nice B & B

Wed. bus to Dub stay wed, th fri nights, day trip to montenegro w/ atlas via boat, looks fun

Sat. am bus to split catch the 5 pm fast ferry to ancora and train back up to firenze PHEW!

still have no hotel or place in Dub either
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi Laartisa
We're doing a similar trip next month. Where did you end up staying in Dubrovnik & would you recomend?
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at villa ragusa, i would recommend, it's a SOBE , B & B, recommended by another fodorite. Will find the link and post back