Base City for Cotswolds

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 10:27 AM
Carl

Base City for Cotswolds

Which city would be a good base for visiting the Cotswolds and area. We wiil be traveling by train exclusively and want a base city to use for Day trips(tours)to Cotswolds, Warrick, Stratford and Oxford. London seems a bit too far. Is Bath, Stratford or Oxford a good base? Plan to devote 2 to 3 days for area. Thanks!!

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 10:37 AM
Sheila

Sratford is a really nice town, especialy in the evening when the day trippers have gone home. There are some really nice pubs, and restaurants and of course 2 theatres.

Given the restriction to train travel, it would certainly be my choice.

There is an issue about trains in and out of Startford tho'. My recollection is that everything goes through Birmingham.

Birmingham has a reputation for being a bit industrial, but it too has a lot to recommend itself as a modern vibrant city. You should probably, for ease of travel choose somewher htat you can get to all hte others from without changing, and I think that probably means Birmingham.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 10:59 AM
carole

Another consideration could be Cheltenham - a regency spa town with beautiful architecture.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Carl

Been thinking of Stratford as our base but hear it's a "tourist trap". Main consideration is if we can get Tours in town for the outlying areas, since we won't have a car.

How is Cheltenam on tours to the areas I mentioned? It looks good as far as train connections.
Thanks!!

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 02:20 PM
Sheila

Startford is touristy; but it is also a thriving marke town with a resident population, lovely late mediaeval architecture, pretty walks along the river, boats to hire on the river (including punts), nice pubs, nice restaurants, nice hotels and guest houses, and lots of good shops, as well as few that you would rather nor be seen dead in.

If the transport links work, it would definitely be my recommendation. I spent many holidays there with an aunt who lived there, and it is simply a super town; why else would the tourist like it? Do you know where Dickens was born?

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 03:23 PM
Kat

Our base for exploring the Cotswolds was Chipping Campden and we loved it. Recommend the Cotswold House Hotel with its marvelous garden out back. Chipping Campden is only five miles from both Kiftsgate and Hidcote Manor gardens which are not to be missed. The old anglican church in Chipping Campden is lovely and chock full of history. Many, many walking trails (we ever scittered through a couple of 'kissing gates').

I've heard others stay in Broadway but we loved Chipping Campden; it was the star of our two-week visit.

I know you'll have fun wherever you stay.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Carl

Sheila, Where was Dickens born?
Thanks everyone for all the information and suggestions. "Tourist Area" is OK, since I live in one in the States, and I love it. If the Transports work, then Stratford it will be. After Stratford it's York and the North.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 03:20 AM
Sheila

My slightly obtuse point was that people don't visit Dicken's bithplace becasue it's not pretty. Stratford is.

However, without checking I'm not certain, but Ithink he was actually born in York, which is beautiful in itself, and well worth a trip.

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 05:33 AM
Carl

Will be in York after Stratford and have heard it great. We're using some guide books to plan our York trip but could use any suggestions. Thanks for all the help!!

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 03:40 PM
Sheila

Don't know much about York; but it has the best Chinese reaurant I've ever been in- the Willow

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:14 PM
Carl

Love Chinese Food. Will definitely try to find it in York. Thanks!!

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 09:40 PM
Ron

To stay on Sheila's tangent for a while, Charles Dickens was born in Portsmouth and it is possible to visit his birth place there, which is furnished in the style of 1812.

Getting back to Carl's original concern about a base to visit the Cotswolds, it is not clear to me whether you are looking for a place from which you can take organized tours or a place which has convenient local bus transportation into the Cotswolds? If the former I have no idea, but I would have guessed that Oxford would be more likely than Stratford. If the latter, I would recommend Cheltenham, since it has regular bus service to places like Winchcombe, Broadway, Bourton, Stow and Moreton. FWIW...

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 12:28 AM
Nigel Doran

In York, take tea at Betty's. It is fairly expensive, but you can buy food to take away too.
The Viking Centre is definitely worth a visit, but I am sure your guide books will tell you all about it.
A quick side trip to Harrogate might be a good idea, especially if the weather is good. It is a pretty, green old market town. And there's a great Betty's there too {nicer than York's} and a fantastic Victorian turkish baths.
About an hour or so from York is Durham, which has lots of history and a great cathedral. If you have a rail pass and the time, you might as well make use of it.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 04:18 AM
Tom

Carl - Returned from the Cotswolds last night and can't imagine touring the area without a car. If you consider this e-mail me and I think I can help. Tom