Search

Barcelona - Two Perfect Days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona - Two Perfect Days

Hey Fodorites!

Off to Spain next week and was hoping people could comment and recommend the best way to have two perfect days in Barcelona. We're a well-traveled couple in our late 20's.

We arrive early on Thursday morning and will take a cab into the city. We're staying in the Barri Gothic area near Las Ramblas. We're planning on spending the morning in the area seeing numerous sites (Cathedral, walking Las Ramblas) and having lunch at La Boqueria. The afternoon we'll spend time seeing some of Gaudi's best - Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, anything else we can fit in. I would like to head to somewhere with a view for sunset - Park Guell perhaps. Then dinner at a nice romantic Tapas restaurant. Does anyone have a reco? People have recommended Cerveseria Catalana, which looks good. Don't know if it's necessarily a 'romantic' spot.

Friday is an opening book at this point. We wanted to make the journey up to Montserrat, but I doubt there will be enough time. Saturday we make for Granada and then we're off to a new destination. I've been all over Europe, but this is my first trip to Spain so I would like to try to see as much as possible. We're good about walking and taking the metro so mobility is not an issue. Any advice on must-eat restaurants or must see destinations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:09 AM

"lunch at La Boqueria"? Which spot in the market are you planning on dining at, Pinotxo or Quim? You'll have to get there early to find a seat at the counter.

And for dinner, regardless of the restaurant, you should plan on making reservations.

You might be interested in reading Maribel's Guide to Barcleona to help plan your brief visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Would you recommend Pinotxo more than Quim? I was actually planning on going to the spot that was least busy.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM

Barcelona got the mountains in the West and the sea in the East, so it's hard to literally see the sun set.

If you look for places where you can see how the lights go out you don't have to go as far as Park Güell. Since you already will be in the area of Passeig de Gracia to see Casa Mila, you could have your sundowner at the rooftop terrace bar of Casa Fuster. Also a Modernisme building and a sight by itself, and a very expensive 5* hotel. But one drink should not blow your budget.
Casa Fuster is at the upper end of Passeig de Gracia, a 5 minute walk from Casa Mila (or metro Diagonal).
http://www.hotelescenter.es/casafuster/mirador-en.html

Another place with a view is at the bottom of Mount Tibidabo, at Bar Mirablau. Again, with your tight schedule on day 1, I don't know if you want to trek all the way up there. But if you want, it's fairly simple:
FGC train L7 from Pl Catalunya to the terminus Av. Tibidabo. Change to bus #196 (get off at Pl Dr Andreu) or take historic tram Tramvia Blau to its terminus. The latter costs extra.
http://www.mirablaubcn.com/es/index.php

To find a romantic spot for dinner, I'd suggest you head to the Born district. There are many restaurants in the maze of small streets around Santa Maria del Mar church. It should not take long to take a look around to find a place that appeals to you. If you are determined to have tapas, both Cal Pep (google the name, and you will get many comments on waiting times etc.. not my idea of "romantic"), and the mainstream Taller de Tapas on C/ de l'Argenteria are located in that area.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Your first day is far from perfect-- way too loaded and all over the place....unless your idea of well traveled is Touch & Go versus Visit & Experience. A romantic dinner is not that romantic with two exhausted people.

Leave Parc Guell for Day 2 plus Montjic Telesferic and the Olympic Park (if good weather). Plaza Cataluna is a great place for people watching, a mile away the other end of las Ramblas is absolutely pleasant ocean boardwalk. Again, meant to be experienced and it takes time. My favorite restaurant in Barcelona is 7 Portes on Passeig d'Isabel II. Not cheap, not terribly expensive either, an institution in Barcelona, this is one of the restaurants my local friends take me whenever I come to visit.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

All fantastic comments! Thanks everyone for your insight.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM

I can't imagine that most tapas places are romantic. I think you need to decide if you want a romantic sit down dinner or tapas. Tapas places usually mean bar seating, although some have tables as well. Most of the taperias are frenzied, busy places.

Both of those Boqueria bar/restaurants are excellent. But, as has been noted above, you should plan on getting to them very early (before noon) to get a seat, or prepare to wait.

There is a wealth of fabulous food in Barcelona. I returned yesterday and am already longing to return!
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 09:29 AM

..also, we were there in early March and by late mornings there were long lines at Casa Mila and La Pedrera. I would try to get to these two at opening time unless you do not mind waiting. So do the Gaudi sites first, and then come back and walk along the Ramblas, explore Born etc.

Also, you should know that while the two market bars mentioned above are excellent, there are bars with food in every market...and the ambience is less crazed.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM

ooops, meant to say Casa Battlo and La Pedrera. Casa Mila IS La Pedrera.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM

...it is Casa Batlló (vs. Casa Battlo). Agree w/Boqueria-- you need to pick and choose which sites you are going to show up early for...can't show up early for all of them...
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM

"People have recommended Cerveseria Catalana, which looks good. Don't know if it's necessarily a 'romantic' spot.'

CC is mobbed all the time... great food, but hardly romantic. Same goes for Cal Ppep and most tapa restaurants.
7 Pportes is more romantic, but a total tourist trap . The food was not that good either.
I would forget about leaving the city... too much to see even if you are not interested in museums .

Maribel's Guide to Barcelona is a good suggestion for restaurants.

We had dinner at L'Olive.. modern setting, good service and food.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Thanks..I am not smart enough to make the accent sign over the o on my computer.

If you want a romantic spot, I would recommend a sit-down restaurant and not a tapas bar. In a week of dining on my most recent trip to the city, we had uniformly excellent meals but the best of the best was at Cinc Sentits. Quiet and contemporary, with an intimacy that might fit the "romantic" bill. Although the two menus offered for dinner are pricey (there is no a la carte) I thought that the value was excellent.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM

eks-- the proper spelling is more relevant....

Danon- I hardly see any tourists at 7 Portes most of the time. We usually go on the back dining room and are most of the time surrounded by locals (Spanish or Catalan speakers), big groups typically. So apparently is not only a tourist trap but it traps quite a bit of locals as well.