Search

Barcelona to South of France Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona to South of France Itinerary Advice

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be flying into Barcelona in late July and have 6 nights to travel prior to meeting friends in London. My initial thought is to spend two nights in Barcelona, rent a car and spend the remaining 4 days and nights driving along the coast into France. We can fly to London from Marseilles, Toulon or Nice. Any itinerary recommendations, can't miss towns/areas, advice on whether to creep along and spend the night in a new town every night or drive straight to one town and do day trips? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you!!!
JK
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:53 AM

If you rent a car in Spain and drop it off in France you are looking at a drop-off fee in the neighborhood of $500 or more. So rethink that and take a train into France, then rent a car. I'd head for Montpellier and do daytrips from there. Places to make sure to visit include Carcassonne, Perpignan, Aigues-Mortes, Avignon, and as much of the Bouches-su-Rhône as you can fit in in that small amount of time.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Last month we spent a day in B'lona and picked up car, drove to Montserrat for the morning, then on into the mtns to Parador Bielsa for one night (beautiful). Our destination was San Sebastian, Spain, but we crossed over into France and stayed in St. Jean de Luz, which we loved.
To avoid the drop off charge, you could then head back into Spain (maybe see San Sebastian) and drop off in Bilbao and fly to London from there.
I can be more specific with details if you need any.
EK
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM

If you haven't been to Barcelona before, I would recommend spending all 6 nights in Barcelona. We were there in October for 5 days & didn't see everything. You could visit Montserrat for a day.

Another option would be to drive along the Costa Brava after spending 2 nights in Barcelona. You could overnight in one or two places along the way, & then spend a night or 2 in Cadaques, which we loved. While in Cadaques, you can visit Dali's house in Port Lligat, Cap de Creus, Dali's museum in Figueres & the monastery at Sant Pere (I think). You can click on my name to read my trip report from last October.
Hope this helps.
I'm not sure if you can take a train from Cadaques to France, to avoid the drop-off charge. You would have to check that out. Or you could return to Barcelona from Cadaques, & fly to London from Barcelona. We also stayed 2 nights in Girona, if that might interest you.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:58 AM

If your heart is set on France, then follow StCirq's suggestions.

If it's just Barcelona + somewhere nice you can rent from Barcelona, drive up the coast and fly from Girona to London.
Or follow the Southern edge of the Pyrenees to San Sebastian or Bilbao, as suggested.

If you decide to rent from/to any Spanish location but also plan to drive in France, i.e. go North from Barcelona, into France, along the Northern edge of the Pyrenees and back into Spain, you should check the rental car company's fine print for any possible extra insurance or fee for taking the car into France.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 12:45 PM

I don't think it's enough time to do all that, because Barcelona has a lot to offer. ( We're here now and it's our 14th time in 5 years and we often stay a month).

I'd definitely explore secret gems in Costa Brava

http://soultravelers3.com/2009/07/to...ems-spain.html

And the Dali Museum is hot

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2006/1...musee-hot.html

We did the route you are talking about last year around the same time ( but we have no times limits so did it all slowly.)

Colliore is divine and just over the border..one of the prettiest towns in France...reminded us a bit of Cinque Terra in Italy.

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2010/0...e-med-sea.html

if you like mountains, the yellow train in the Pyrenees is a fun trip ( to a UNESCO site)

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2011/0...rain-ride.html

With such a short time, I'd creep instead of stay in one place and do day trips.

Even though it is high season, we have been surprised to not run into too many crowds these last two years. We didn't make any reservations ahead and were fine.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! I have a lot to think about! I truly appreciate your suggestions.
JK