Barcelona-3 day/2night side trip-ideas?

Old Feb 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona-3 day/2night side trip-ideas?

Any itinerary ideas appreciated. We want to include Girona and a taste of the Pyrenees and coast. We will have a car rented in Barcelona.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Rent a car and go to Puigcerda on the Spanish side (avoid the limited access highway and its tunnel to appreciate the full experience of Pyrenees driving) and come back down via Prades (French Catalonia) to the coast. The drive from Barcelona to Prades will take the first day. It would only be a day from Prades to Barcelona. So you could work it out to see various sights on the way and going back to Barcelona.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 03:49 PM

We drove from Barcelona up the Costa Brava & made several stops along the way. Our destination for the first night was Cadaques. Then from there we drove to Girona, where we stayed 2 nights. Spend a day sightseeing in Girona & then a day driving through the Pyrenees as far as Ripoll. Made stops in Besalu, Ripoll, Rupit & Vic.
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Michael, we are a little confused with Prades - in France or Spain? Also, did you take the rack-and-pinion railway, up to Vall de Núria?
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Virginia, If you rent a car in Spain you may have to pay extra to the rental company for a border crossing permit to go into France. It was about 50 to 60 euros. I was surprised to see this extra charge when we were pricing rentals in the Barcelona area. We decided we didn't need to do a day trip into France on this trip after all, Deborah
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM

Prades is in French Catalonia. I did not take a train ride. The road from Prades to La Tour de Carol is parallel to the train line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_de_Cerdagne
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

DeborahAnn and Michael, Very helpful. Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 12:38 AM

Take the coast road from Barcelona north through Calella and up to Lloret , where you can branch off left into Girona. From Girona, you can head up to Figueres to the Dali museum and then back to the coast at the Bay of Roses.

If you decide not to pay any hire car excess by heading into France, then come back down the coast for a leisurely drive back towards Barca.

Figueres is only just over an hour north, so it's a good overnight spot. Your second night could be on the sea at maybe Tossa de Mar. The old town there is worth seeing.
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 07:13 AM

I agree with Lifeman's suggestion. We did something similar last October. We stopped at Tossa de Mar, & the old town is definitely worth seeing. Stopped at S'Agaro for lunch & then made a brief stop at Calella Palafrugell before heading to Cadaques. Visited Dali's house in Port Lligat & drove along Cap de Creus before heading to Girona for 2 nights. It was a spectacular side trip after Barcelona!
Old Mar 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the suggestions. In addition to the Lifeman or Kwoo 3 day trip, we are considering a day trip out of Barcelona. If we have to choose one, should it be Montserrat on our own or the Pyrenees with a tour http://www.viator.com/tours/Barcelon...562-3142PYREN?
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:10 PM

Kwoo, we have 8 days max - could we do Barcelona and your 3 day Costa Brava side trip or would it be too much?
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM

We had 9 days max, which includes the day we arrived in Barcelona, which was early, around 7:30am. The 9 days does not include the day we left the U.S., or the day we flew back. So you could definitely do what we did in 8 days; you would have one day less in Barcelona. Our side trip was for 3 nights/4 days, so you could do something similar for 2 nights/3 days if you didn't want to lose a day in Barcelona.
Old Mar 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Yes, that's what we have decided to do (with everyone's great help). We are doing a 3 day/2night trip from Barcelona, staying in Girona at the http://www.hotelhistoric.com/ as the base. We think we will concentrate on the costal region, allong with Girona and Besalu. We will have 5 days in BCN, one of which we may go to Monserrat. Looking forward!
Old Mar 4th, 2011, 01:26 PM

My husband and I are driving from San Sebastian into France en route to Roses and needed to know for certain about any restrictions.

I just got off the telephone with Avis international car rentals to verify with them if a border crossing permit or fee is required to drive from Spain into France and back into Spain. They said there isn't a fee or permit between those two countries only if crossing into Switzerland and it is then 40 Swiss Francs.

I hope you will contact your rental company as well to personally confirm if my information is correct.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM

The fee for Switzerland is called a vignette, which is like a tax to drive on Swiss roads. You get a sticker for your windscreen to show that you've paid.

There is rarely a fee for moving from one EU country to another, providing you advise the hire company and return the car to the country of original hire.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 06:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go for wine tastings Cava (Freixenet is world's biggest fizz maker) and Torres.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 07:18 AM

The vignette is only for the limited access roads. One can drive in Switzerland without it, but it is not easy as the road signs do not give the alternative to the expressway, unlike France and Italy. The same applies to Austria.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM

Curiousaboutit, we have rented a car in and out of Madrid spending most of our time in France and we never had a border charge by the rental company. That's why I was surprised that in the Barcelona area for this May we would have to pay extra for the border crossing into France. We are using Economycarrentals again and they quoted the charge of 50 euros and up depending on the length of rental. It sure surprised me!! Deborah
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Hi DeborahAnn, We are renting for 18 days from Avis through AutoEurope. I asked both companies and got the same answer; no additional fees.

We are beginning our rental as we leave Madrid and returning it to Barcelona with the drive down from San Sebastian via France as I mentioned.

I think our friends here in Fodorite Land are only offering words of caution and I respect it to the enth-degree. My husband and I take a months trip to a country every years since 2005 and each time I describe the itinerary and car rental information, I get the same advice; beware of the extra fees. I respect it and then call for my own self edification. Something might have changed from year to year..I alway ask and then share what I learned. That is what makes this forum so incredibly invaluable. Everyone's help makes all of our trips richer.
Old Mar 6th, 2011, 02:45 PM

There can be extra fees not included in the price arranged by the broker, at least in France:

1. Airport and train station pick-up, about 35€.

2. Depending on the size and type of car, there is now a pollution fee.

3. there is a road tax of about 1.50€ per day

4. and I was warned that if the inside of the car is dirty, one may be charged a cleaning fee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -