barcelona to florence

Search

barcelona to florence

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barcelona to florence

I am going to be travelling from Barcelona (Spain) to Florence (Italy). I am planning on spending about 2-3 weeks on this trip. Any suggestions as to where to stay, what to see on the route would be appreciated. So far I am planning on Barcelona, Figuernes, Aix en Provence, french riviera towns, cinque terra.

Is this a doable trip over 2 weeks or too much ground to cover?

Regarding accomodations, we are looking for bed and breakfast type 3 star hotels, pensions

Thanks for your input!

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

I just thought I would add the following: barcelona 2 nights, figueres 1 night, beziers 1 night, avingnon 1 night, aix en provence 1 night, st tropez 1 night, menton 1 night, finale ligure 1 night, cinque terre 1 night, pisa 1 night, florence 2 nights.

Total is 13 days, no more than about 2 hours per day of driving (rental car). Is this too hectic? Any cities not worthwile that should be replaced for a nearby location that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated. especially around beziers and around menton.

Thanks
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

I just read somewhere that you can't drive into cinque terre? Is this true? Is Finale Ligure a good stopover. How about St Raphael instead of st tropez and villefrance sur mer instead of menton?

Really having a problem looking for a stopover between figueres (spain) and avingnon.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Lex, I would drop Aix and Finale Ligure and add Cassis. I would plan 2 nites at CT--you can easily drive into Levanto, Monterosso, or Portovenere. That is 4 hours from Menton--no reason to stop.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:15 AM
rex

You might or night not want to bite the bullet to pay the surcharge for taking a Spanish car to Italy and return it there.

An alternative would be to rent at Perpignan (Avis right at the train station, perhaps others), and return it in Nice - - though I know little or nothing about getting to Cinque Terre from Nice, and onward from there to Florence, by train.

If you wanted a three day rental in Italy, the first train stop where there are car rentals is at San Remo. You could stay at the Nyala Suites Hotel.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the input. I think I will definitely do 2 nights in CT so not much to see between Menton and cinque terra?

Rex, thanks for the input on the car. I couldn't figure out why the quote was so high - that explains it. Trying to book an open jaws (not much more expensive) in order to avoid backtracking over the same route.

Revised itinerary looks like this: (put together from reviewing many posts)

Barcelona 2 nights, 1 night cadaques or port vendres or collioure.

1 night cap d'agde or sete

1 night arles or avignon (?)

1 night Aix en provence or maybe cassis or bandol

1 night st raphael

1 night villefranche sur mer

1 night camogli or s margherita ligure

2 nights cinque terra (portonovera)

2 nights florence

Looking better? I avoid big cities like the plague, like quaint places especially fishing villages, being by the ocean. any great hotels in any of these towns or others nearby that you can recommend?

Thanks for all the help. This board is way better than any travel agent