Barcelona Skip the line

Apr 16th, 2019, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona Skip the line

Really appreciate your suggestions here. Looking to be in Barcelona for 2 full days.
Sights I would like to see:
Sagrada
Park Guell
Picasso Museum
Miro Museum
Casa Batillo
La Pedrera
Recinte Modernista Sant Pau
What drives me crazy is that purchasing advance ticket requires me to commit to a time slot which would make it a very stressful time trying to run from one place to another on exact timeline. Timed ticket to enter the park! That seems crazy!
I have been looking at various passes but there is not one that covers all the sites, and it is not clear how much benefit they are in terms of skipping the line.
Any ideas?
Thank you in advance.
Apr 16th, 2019, 09:43 AM

The reason Parc Guell has timed entry is exactly the same as it is for any museum which only has timed entry. The sheer numbers of visitors put a huge strain on these places and to give you the best chance of enjoying your visit, and to protect the park (or museum) timed entry restricts the numbers.

If you use something other than the timed entry ticket you will not be allowed in if there are already a certain number (600?) already in the park, and you may have a long wait.
Apr 16th, 2019, 10:00 AM

It doesn't seem crazy to me at all. It would be utter chaos inside most of those places if people were allowed to come and go as they wish. As for "skip the line" schemes, I'm not familiar with Barcelona, but IME it's is largely marketing hype, as you always have to go through security lines these days anyway.

If you want to see special places, you have to make special plans.
Apr 16th, 2019, 11:02 AM

I don't know if they still sell these, but back in 2015 we bought a "Fast Pass" ticket for Casa Batlló. It cost 5 euro extra, but we could enter any time during our five day stay, which was fortuitous. We visited right after La Sagrada Familia, and the line at Casa Batlló stretched from here to eternity. For us, no problem. Walked right in ... no line. As stated, I do not know if that deal still exists today.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...rnist-marvels/

Apr 16th, 2019, 05:01 PM
kja

As others have said, a skip-the-line pass might not serve you very well -- you could end up in a long line even with the pass!

I'll also say that I think your plan is ambitious, but not necessarily impossible. Plan carefully, though, as the places you mention are geographically dispersed over a large area.

My suggestion would be to pick at least a few priorities and actually reserve them, perhaps your first destination of the day and the first place you plan to visit in the afternoon -- or whatever works for you. Parc Guell can be visited later than most other sites and I believe there's an evening visit to La Pedrera (at least there was when I went), so you might consider booking them, too. Then decide whether the pass makes sense or not.

You might find some useful information in my trip report:
Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya

Hope that helps!

Last edited by kja; Apr 16th, 2019 at 05:04 PM.
Apr 16th, 2019, 10:16 PM

Sant Pau sells tickets in advance so you need to commit on a certain date.
But does not have timed tickets - unless you want to take part in a guided tour.
But you can visit any time at your own pace without a guide or pay for the audio guide.
IME, there was enough information available to feel well informed without a guide.

Otherwise, I would reconsider both museums if I was running low on time.
Not saying that either or both are not "worth" a visit, but in my very own and just personal opinion I'd rather focus on sights and impressions that are typical or unique.. and rather spend that time to stroll aimlessly through the old town districts of Barcelona.
I hope it's clear that this is not a recommendation or general wisdom but purely subjective.
Apr 17th, 2019, 07:28 AM

Casa Batlló sells 'skip the line' tickets at the entrance. MAybe other attractions, too but we only bought them here because of the extremely long line.
Apr 17th, 2019, 03:31 PM

There isn't one pass because some of those sites belong to the city, one is a church, in fact and run by a religious foundation, and others are run by a private enterprises. Casa Battlo is owned by a family and is a private corporation. Parc Guell is a city park. The Miro is also a private foundation. I think the Pedrera is owned by a real estate company but is also some foundation setup.

I think a timed tickets does let you avoid the ticket queue, of course. At Casa Battlo, there is a long line of people waiting to get it and buy tickets because they limit the number. So you avoid that line if you have one. I just went in the evening when it wasn't so crowded and didn't wait long, anyway. It stays open until 8 or so, but I went in the summer. Casa Battlo sells a special ticket that does give you priorty access in anyt case, though. I don't think the Pedrera does, just the ticket line. I don't remember any long lines for security at any of these places. There is a museum ticket that lets you skip the ticket line. That is a real thing, there IS a ticket line in all of these places sometimes (at least Picasso and the Gaudi places). BUt that's only a few art museums and those aren't really a problem anyway. I think Picasso was the only one with a little line. I wouldn't buy that pass as the others didn't have lines anyway, unless it saved you money.