Search

Barcelona Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona Restaurants

Hi everyone

I'm off to Barcelona in two weeks time, and I would like a recommendation for a restaurant on the Saturday night, for about 10 people.

Basically, the best restaurant in every respect - food, atmosphere, views, service, everything!! Price is not an issue.

I know I shall get varied responses here, but I look forward to researching them all!

Many thanks!

Angela

Ps, we are staying at the Carleton Ritz Arts Hotel, anyone been there recently?
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:39 AM

If its still there, try Passidis del Pep,in the Gothic area just down from the Picasso museum. great food, great wine ,great fun !
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Marco

I'll certainly look into that.

Anyone else??

Thanks

Angela
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

ttt again!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Barcelona has some fabeaux restaurants. Some of my faves are around the Eixample section (on or near Passeig de Gracia). The best food and service was at a very upscale place I went to a couple years ago off Passeig de Gracia that I believe was called Maria Cristina (but I could be wrong). The turbot was simply amazing. For a hipper environment, el Japones is a japanese restaurant that has great food, is inexpensive, and, as of 2 years ago, was quite a happening scene. Across the street from there is Tragaluz (owned by the same people as Japones) that serves up fabulous food and is favored by local media types and fashionistas. Great glass rooftop that opens up some nights if the weather is nice. A friend of mine raves about a place called Tenorio Braseria, but I haven't been. Near your hotel, there's Agua, another hip place with great food. The Arts is a great hotel. You will love it. The only downside is its location (i prefer the Eixample area because of its dining, shopping, design, and that is where the Claris, my fave hotel in barcelona, is). hope this is helpful.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. We are after a more 'upmarket expensive' place, so I shall definitely look in to your recommendation for Maria Cristina, and your others also.

Thank you

Angela
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:33 AM

almost forgot an obvious one. if you're a seafood fan, you should definitely try botafumeiro. it's very delish and well-known. and in case my previous email didn't emphasize this, you should definitely go to tragaluz. it's not just a pretty and fun--the food and wine is excellent.

have fun and don't forget to report back afterwards!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:51 AM

I'd recommend Can Gaig - it's listed in Fodor's restaurant rec's - and read some recents raves (I was there in Oct. 2000 - I know, a 3 year old rec is questionable - mea culpa)You'll have to take a cab though, it's a bit of a distance outside the main center. If you don't want to do that - Casa Calvet was very enjoyable. And if I remember correctly they had some large tables to accomodate groups.

Also - though I have not been, I read some really interesting reviews of Espai Sucre - address: Princesa 53, telephone: (34) 93-268-1630
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank yo so much - I am researching all your suggestions.

Don't worry, I will report back afterwards and let you know how it all went!

Angela
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Nichel is the type of restaurant you describe. It's in an area of upscale high rise apartment district. The restaurant is in one of these buildings, but the surprise is when you enter the place. You enter a striking contemporary dining room done to perfection. The chef-owner is French. The food is innovative and delicious. I'll share my notes on our meal:
Varied hors d'ouvres are the chef's choice. All very unusual. Then a tiny, tiny bowl of an incredible mushroom soup. My starter was a special wild rice prepared like risotto with parmesan shavings, duck confit and abundant shaved truffles. Entrees: beautifully prepared and presented sea bass and hake. Desserts were excellent as well, a lemon tart and a chocolate tart, then followed by cookies and sugar coated black olives. The elegant setting was quiet, and we did see business dinners around us.
We spent about $70 per person, with wine.
The suggestion of Tragaluz is way too casual for what ou want.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it! I have looked at all the suggestions and have decided that Neichel is exactly what I am after, but I am concerned that it is too far from our hotel (Carleton Ritz Arts Hotel). Can anyone tell me how far away this restaurant is?

Many thanks

Angela
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:20 AM

The Hotel Arts (Ritz-Carlton is not part of its name, although it is operated by Ritz-Carlton) is located on the beachfront. It is a lovely hotel, and has a very nice spa. There is a great pool area, not sure you will get the opportunity to use it given the cool temps which have descended on Europe.

The hotel is not really within walking distance of any restaurants that I would recommend, other than two noted below. The address for Neichel, mentioned above;

Neichel Restaurant
Carrer Beltrán i Rózpide 1-5 (before Avinguda Pedralbes)
Phone: (93) 203 8408
Fax: (93) 205 6369.
Email: [email protected]

The restaurant is in the Diagonal area downtown. There is a map on the restaurant's website showing the location. You would need to take a taxi to this area from the Hotel Arts. However, taxis are not expensive, so I would say the best way to get there is to take a taxi. Have the restaurant call one for you when you are done, as in my experience, taxis can be a bit hard to find at night.

Favourite restaurants of mine in Barcelona are:

Drolma ? Majestic Hotel, Paseig de Gracia 70, tel (34-93) 496-7710

Wins all sorts of awards for its nouvelle cuisine. Often rated the best restaurant in Spain. Small and elegant, maybe 15 tables. It is somewhat expensive, we paid about $255 for diner for two with two cocktails and a bottle of cava. However, it is worth it for a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary. Try to get a window seat. This might be a bit too formal for a party of 10, but the food is really incredible.

Taberna del Cura, Gran de Gracie 83 tel (34-93)-218-1799
Botafumeiro, Gran de Gracia 81 (34-93-218-4230

These are sister restaurants next door to each other which have the same menu. The Botafumeiro was first and is very well known. The sister restaurant opened to take the overflow ? and I actually like the atmosphere there better as it is a bit more rustic and less crowded than the Botafumeiro. As the menu is the same in both places, it doesn't really matter. I have been several times and never been disappointed. Seafood is their speciality ? try to cold seafood appetizer plate ? more like a meal. Excellent sangria. Moderate to expensive. Reservations recommended.

Aqua ? Pg Martim 30, tel: (34-93) 225-1272

Great seafood restaurant located down on the beach. This is one of the exceptions to the rule that the are very few good restaurants on the waterfront. They don't have a lot of indoor tables, so you would need a reservation at least a day in advance. They have an outdoor terrace which would be great in the summer. Very lively place, good music. To find it, from Hotel Arts and walk out to the boardwalk in front of the hotel. With the Hotel Arts behind you, turn right and walk down the boardwalk and look for a small glass room on the boardwalk with the name "Acqa". This is the entrance to the restaurant, which is down a flight of stairs. You will pass at least two of these glass boxes, one called Posit (looks like another good restaurant) and one call "Baja" (to be avoided). You can also access this from the beach itself. Moderate to expensive. This would also be good for lunch on a nice day.

Set Portes ? Passeig Isabel II 14, 73-74, tel (34-93) 319-3033

A very good Cataluyna restaurant with a large and varied menu. Paella is their speciality. Charming décor with black/white tile floor and wood paneling. Noisy but in a fun way ? lots of families and big parties. It is a large restaurant, so you could probably get a table just by walking in. Very good value for money. This is walkable from the Arts, but a longish walk. This is a fun and noisy place that would be good for a group.