Barcelona or Madrid?

Search

Barcelona or Madrid?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona or Madrid?

I am planning a European trip covering London, Paris, Rome, Venice (sidetrip to Veneto) and either Madrid or Barcelona. Which would you choose and why? It will be the end of November from 2 to 4 full days.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM

I'd choose Barcelona, but I advise you to watch your purse. It has wonderful architecture and there's really a lot to see. I thoroughly enjoyed our time in Barcelona and would go back in a New York minute. Of course, it really depends on what you're interested in. Madrid does have the incomparable Prado, plus the Thyssen and the Reine Sofia--all world-class museums.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Neopolitan

Please, please tell us you mean the add on city (Madrid or Barclona) will be from 2 to 4 full days -- not the whole trip. Sorry, but these days I just have to ask to be sure.

I think after spending a week each in London, Paris, Rome, and Venice, for the fifth week a few days in Barcelona might be more fun than Madrid.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the trip will be about a month long. I am thinking of four days in Barcelona not including the day of arrival.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:28 PM
Neopolitan

Oh thank you. I am so relieved! I stand with my choice of Barcelona over Madrid.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM

I liked Madrid better, but I think I'm in the minority of people who will say that. With 4 days, I'd say Madrid as in my opinion there is more to see there than in Barcelona, but others may disagree.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:13 PM

That is a toughy. Both cities are so different but definite MUST-SEES in Spain on their own merits.

Madrid, in my opinion, is more "Real, Authentic Spain" while Barcelona has A LOT of French influences. Some call Barcelona the Paris of Spain - and they have good reason for saying that. But many will tell you that Barcelona/Catalunya is NOT part of Spain afterall! (it's a political/debateable matter) So if you're only looking for elegance and a beautiful city on its own accord then choose Barcelona. But if you'd like to get a taste of REAL SPAIN, What "SPAIN" is really like, then it's GOT to be Madrid.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll fall in love with it.

Salut, BarcelonaMan
--
Barcelona information & MORE @ you-know-where (wink!)