Reload this Page >

Barcelona budget lodging: help me choose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Lesli

I've spent hours and hours searching all sources (books, here, madridman.com, etc.) and have narrowed things down. The friend going with me on this trip is between jobs, and though she's got possibilities on the horizon, we are trying to keep things cheap - an average of about 75E/night. I prefer beat-up wood furniture in a place with a bit of charm to a sterile room full of formica. We'll be going early-mid May, so A/C is not really a must, and we have time to change things.<BR><BR>Barcelona is a tough one. We may just spend a little more and try the Banys Oriental, but I've found a few budget possibilities in/near the Eixample.<BR><BR>Hostal Central - just opened in 2002. Looks great, and the location seems good (near Placa Tetuan, but on Gran Via des Corts - noisy?): http://www.hostalcentralbarcelona.com/<BR><BR>Hostal Oliva, right on Psg. de Gracia: http://www.hostalcentralbarcelona.com/<BR><BR>Hostal D'Uxelles: http://www.barcelona-on-line.es/locals/hostatjaments/duxelles/eng/index.asp<BR><BR>Hotel Pelayo: http://www.hotelpelayo.com/ingles/index.htm<BR><BR>Opinions about location are appreciated, if you have no specific experience with these places. Thanks!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Lesli

Just noticed that I pasted in the wrong URL for the Oliva. Correct one is: http://www.lasguias.com/hostaloliva/<BR><BR>Good reviews in TimeOut, Let's Go, and Concierge.com which mention that rooms are airy and some have views, but are potentially noisy. <BR><BR>Forgot to mention that we'd ideally like to be near good restaurants and age-appropriate (30's) nightlife. We can take the Metro to get to museums, etc. during daylight hours. <BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Katie

Try hotel Continental (www.hotelcontinental.com). Small but clean room, right on La Rambla. $60-$90 eu including breakfast (which really spans across several hours, and you could potentially take food with you to nibble on- we did <BR>We stayed there in August '02 and the only negative I can think of was noise (Rambla never sleeps!)<BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Lisa

There are a couple of places here I didn't know about that look awfully nice. I'm also planning for Spain on a budget and am interested in what feedback you recieve. Where are the Spain experts?

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Sharon

I agree with the recommendation for the Hotel Continental. I stayed there in Sept and had a room in the back and never heard a thing. It is so convenient for airport shuttle, tourist buses, metro and right on the Ramblas. It is a charming small hotel and you can snack and drink coffee all day, if you want.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:10 PM
CDSF

You can try a search at Eurocheapo.com.<BR>They have reviews of quite a few places...and they go as low as 25Euro per night. They sort by neighborhood.<BR>I've stayed at a couple of the hotels they recommend in Paris, and they were inexpensive, but nice. That means; clean, friendly staff, and beds comfortable enough to sleep comfortably in. <BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Lesli

Thanks for the replies so far. However, I've seen Hotel Continental and eurocheapo.com and am really hoping for comments on these choices - locations at least? I'm leaning towards Hostal Central, though the Oliva's a very close second.<BR><BR>Suggestions for something similar that I haven't been able to find via a truly exhaustive internet search are also welcome. Olga or Maribel, are you out there?

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 11:50 AM
onthe

have you tried<BR>www.hotelurquinaona.com

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Marcia

Do a text search on Barcelona and you'll see the exchanges between Maribel and myself about locations and the Eixample from late summer 2002 I think. <BR><BR>We were just in Barcelona. I would opt to stay outside the Ramblas area. That advice is based on our just-finished trip and Maribel's thoughts on the matter last year.<BR><BR> Gran Via is noisy during the day. But maybe not at night. We were on Comte d'Urgel, which is daytime busy, but was fine at night. We also walked back to the hotel a couple of times at night, and I would say that being on the Psg. de Gracia would be fine. We spotted a couple of other Hostals on some of the cross streets running south from Psg. de Gracia and commented on how good it would be to have a modest priced hostal room in that area.<BR><BR>Hope that helps a little.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Lesli

Marcia -<BR><BR>Thanks for your input. (I just also saw your post re the Casa Capitel Nazari in Granada, and it has me seriously thinking about a splurge there!) Although I'm pretty sure I've text searched everything relevant here, I'll check again specifically for the post you mentioned.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 10:50 PM
artseattle

Plaza Hostal and Hotel Principal are two top choices for budget rooms in Barcelona according to &quot;Let's Go.&quot; With a private bath, Plaza is 67 Euros and Hotel Principal is 85 Euros for doubles. Both look like they are in great locations near La Rambla. I've posted a question about these to others. Maybe we can get some feedback from someone who has stayed in either of these.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Scott

I would recommend staying at a hotel in Eixample near or on the Passeig de Gracia. We stayed at the Hotel Balmes, which was 2 blocks east last November, though nice it had very sterile decor, so probably not what you are looking for. The Hotel Condes de Barcelona looked beautiful and is directly on the Passeig de Gracia near Gaudi's La Pedrera. Avoid La Rambla hotels all together.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Maribel

Hi Lesli,<BR>Sorry it's taken me so long to jump in on your thread. <BR><BR>If you're trying to keep the tariff below 75 per night, I haven't personally experienced anything on the very smart, tony, designer-boutique filled Passeig de Gracia (my very favorite Bcn avenue) that will fit the bill except for the old-time, 3 star Hotel Passeig de Gracia on the quiet Rosell&oacute; corner right at the top near the Diagonal. <BR>My husband and I stayed there 11 yrs. ago, so I can't give you an up to date description, although I passed it in July and meant to give it a quick look-I knew I'd need that info later! Back then it was serviceable for us, had some Art Nouveau character (not at all formica sterile), some rooms had balconies, there was sat TV and a/c but a/c shut off at night, bath needed renovation, but we loved the quiet location. It's still recommended in my new Footprint Barcelona Handbook which says: &quot;a simple, friendly, very reasonably priced hotel in a superb location. The rooms are basic...but the staff are very helpful&quot;. The '03 Let's Go states: &quot;Double rms here are a good deal for a 3 star on the same block as La Pedrera. The decor is definitely a step from any hostel, especially the plush, old-fashioned waiting area, leaving guests closer to the feeling of the lap of luxury so representative of l'Eixample.&quot; Doubles are 68 euros.<BR><BR>I don't remember seeing the Hostal Oliva, but my Footprint guide says: &quot;this pension has a fantastic location on the P de G in a ramshacle old building with a wonderful old lift. It offers spacious, simple rooms at very reasonable prices&quot;. So, if either of these will fit the bill for you, I'd definitely take one, as the P de G is a much more upscale location than the teeming Ramblas, at least for me. (As you know, I have a strong feeling about avoiding the hotels directly on the Ramblas). <BR>The Eixample is filled with very reasonably priced, great restaurants (I just left a few recs on another Bcn good eating thread) and nightlife (like berlin and Luz de Gas on Muntaner). <BR><BR>The other P de G hotels such as the Condes de Barcelona, the Majestic are still far, far above your 75 euro budget even at a discount internet rate, I'm afraid.<BR><BR>About the Banys Orientals, since I first &quot;discovered&quot; it in June, I've seen it recommended in both Vogue Entertainment &amp; Travel, the Sunday Guardian travel section and the British Conde Nast Traveller. The word is out in the travel press, so it may become very hard to book.<BR><BR>Hope this helps a tiny bit.<BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 08:49 AM
mark

If your looking for something really inexpensive - try the HotelCalifornia. It was $35 a night (Oct. 2000). Just off the Ramblas - in the Barri Gothic district. It's very clean - modestly furnished - not a lot of charm (but $35 at night what do you expect). The only downside - thin walls and attracts a young crowd (who tend to be loud). Also attracts a gay clientel (not that there's anything wrong with that). <BR><BR>http://www.seker.es/hotel_california/