Hotel or B&B in Barcelona - Safe, Budget

Mar 25th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Hotel or B&B in Barcelona - Safe, Budget

So my husband and I decided to stay in Barcelona for a couple days to explore before heading out to the beach for the remainder of our trip. From my reading so far, it seems most people suggest either El Born, Eixample or Barri Gotic for first timers. (Is Barri Gotic the same as the Gothic quarter?). We are looking for a hotel or B&B that is secure, in a safe neighborhood, but also in an easy place to explore from. We are looking for something that will be about $100 or less per night. Please advise.
Mar 25th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

I suppose more clarification would help. We want to be in walking distance of options for eating, drinking and shopping. In walking distance of some sights and close to a metro for others. We don't want it to be too loud, though.
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:07 AM

You might try Girona or Palacios. Hostal in Spain is a small pensione. These might be in your price range.

http://www.hostalgirona.com/

http://www.hostalpalacios.net/Inicio.17.0.html

http://www.operaramblas.com/
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM

This one might work also.

http://www.hostaloliva.com/ingles/index_ing.php
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Upon further research, it seems its hard to find something under $100/night. I don't think we want to stay in a hostal. How about we up this to $220/night or less? My main concern is safety. I have read a lot about muggings and am nervous to be too near La Ramblas (is this a legitimate concern or no?), but want to also be near sights. I am confused!
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:47 AM

We stayed in http://www.hostalpoblenou.com/eng/ and really enjoyed it. nice rooms, quiet location close to metro etc and walking distance of Perto Olympico and the beach. Around. € 100 per night.
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM

Hostales in Spain are fine. They offer good, clean reaonably priced room and are often family run. Many good places in the centre of the city.
Mar 25th, 2013, 07:10 AM

We stayed at the 4Points by Sheraton. The rate is $159 a night. We used starwood points. It is a little off the beaten path, but the bus stop is right across the street and it easily takes you to the middle of everything. A taxi ride is not expensive if you are out late at night. The hotel is on a ramblas that goes to the sea. It is lined with cafes. Children, parents and grandparents are out and about. We were pleasantly surprised at the location and the hotel is new and has free internet and wifi. The breakfast is expensive, but you get a free cup of coffee every morning. We would buy a pastry at a local bakery the night before and with the coffee we had breakfast.
Mar 25th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Yipper- can you send me a link to that hotel?
Mar 25th, 2013, 07:45 AM

<>

Yeah, that's what it means in Catalan.

<>

Barcelona is the size of Philadelphia, your options are not really that limited.

Do you have a set budget now? From $100 to $220 is a large jump and about 2 classes of hotel. If you're staying long enough, get an apartment. There are tons of short-term rentals in Barcelona (www.apartur.com for agencies). We stayed at one about 3 minutes from La Rambla and 5 minutes from Placa Catalunya that was on a private alley (gated, key access only) and basically silent at night (see www.barcelonastuff.com).

You must be from a small town because you're coming across as a bit paranoid about muggings. The fact is that if your husband and you stay together at night, the chances are very low that you'll have problems. And if your husband is larger than Robert Reich (the diminutive former Treasury Secretary), you shouldn't have too many concerns.

La Rambla is not a mugger's haven, it's a pickpocketer's haven. It's too busy to be a good place for a mugging. I walked it almost nightly with the wife and two small distractions that look like her and no one messed with us. Just look like you belong and don't get distracted by every vendor of 2-euro plastic toys.

You should not wander around the Raval just off La Rambla at night, but most other areas are ok. Plus, your hubby should ditch any "can't we all just get along" notions in his head (if any) and perfect a "don't eff with me" look.
Mar 25th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, BigRuss. I am from a suburb (a quite safe one, where we leave our doors unlocked at night) and do get paranoid. I live in the city now but it is not something I am used to. My husband, on the other hand, is not American and has a great "dont eff with me" look, haha. He frequents the gym and I am sure he does not worry like I do. I just prefer to make sure all bets are on my side and stay in the safest area I can find. I find the advice on Barcelona to be confusing, in that some people say stay away from La Rambla and it is horrible and scary, and some people say it is fine and don't worry just be smart. I have traveled to Rome, Lithuania and Naples and felt fine. But never to Barcelona. When I look at hotel reviews, all the hotels that seem to be in good locations are close to La Rambla, and you can always find a reviewer claiming to have been mugged. I don't know if maybe they are misusing the term mugged and actually mean pickpocketed.

Anyway, we don't really have a set budget, but want to keep it reasonable. My idea of reasonable is no more than 220$/night. The less, the better. However, I put a high value on safety, so if there is an area that is safer than another I will pay more to stay there. We are only staying 2 days so I think I prefer a hotel over an apartment. Also, close proximity to the sights a Barcelona-goer would want to see is valued.
Mar 25th, 2013, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Also, this is our honeymoon. So a nice hotel is welcome.
Mar 25th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

If not a specific hotel, which do you recommend over the others for a first timer.... Eixample, the Gothic Quarter, or El Born?
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Topping
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Well, if you're going to go safety nuts, the fact is that Eixample has broad avenues and a grid layout that the older parts of the city (Barri Gotic, Raval, Born) generally do not and if that piques your interest, go to an interactive hotel map (there are plenty, just dunno them off top of head) and find a hotel between Tetuan, Verdaguer, Passeig de Gracia and Diagonal metro stations as close to PdG as you can and you'll be fairly central.
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:50 AM

Dang, should have said find a hotel in "the box formed by" the four stations mentioned above.
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:14 AM

http://www.hotelgranvia.com/default-en.html

Russ, your advice to stay within the 4-station coordinates is a good one. I can offer The Gran Via colonial-style hotel on Gran Via...as long as you get a back room, the noise level should be acceptable. My guess is that rates will fall somewhere between your top and middle range. Very convenient location..just a block away from Passeig de Gracia and Placa Catalunya. Rooms are spacious with well-appointed bathrooms. They are undergoing renovations which are scheduled to be completed in June. It's an 1870 property with vestiges of old elegance.
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, that is great information. I will do that!
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

We will be going in July, so the Gran Via sounds perfect. However, the website says they aren't accepting reservations. Bummer.
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

What about the Grupotel Gran Via 678?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO