Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona and Granada Restaurant Recommendations

May 15th, 2019, 02:00 PM
dpd
Original Poster

I have received recommendations on places to eat in Malaga but would love to have some for Granada and Barcelona for our trip later this month.
We do not need to experience fine dining but are looking for good food and atmosphere (moderate price would be good too). Thanks
May 15th, 2019, 02:14 PM

In Granada (2015), we very much enjoyed Carmen de Aben Humeya, 12 Cuesta de las Tomasas in the Albayzin. Good food, lovely service and a killer view of Alhambra. Our dinner is chronicled in link below (scroll down if you don't want to read about our entire day ... lots of photo, too). We loved Granada.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...ay-in-granada/

View from Carmen de Aben Humeya

May 17th, 2019, 07:08 AM

We were in Barcelona just a week ago - eight days staying in an apartment about a ten-minute walk from the Sagrada. The owner of our apartment told us to stay away from the touristy restaurants near the Sagrada, but recommended Ole Mallorca - this neighborhood tapas place is actually not far from the Sagrada, but seems to be a place that locals enjoy. About five minute walk from the Sagrada metro station.

We loved it - had dinner there three times, since it was so convenient to our apartment, but I would have returned even if it meant taking the metro. Our waitress, Yolanda, was so friendly, and remembered us after the first visit, welcoming us back again. The tapas are excellent, we especially liked the kabobs, which were more like tender roasted beef chunks, not on a stick. The artichoke tortilla was also very good. Brie and mushroom croquettes, and pimientos padron were among our favorites. The traditional tomato toast is excellent here, too. Everything cooked to order by Lorenzo, the owner, large portions (be careful not to over-order like we did the first time!) and so fresh. Decent wine list. Very good prices.

We usually had dinner about 8:30 pm, early by Barcelona standards, and by the time we were finished, the place was always full of locals. There are a few sidewalk tables, also, but we ate inside. I highly recommend this little gem.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Catalonia.html
May 17th, 2019, 07:41 AM

I had many bookmarked but as we were only there for two nights, I only have El Trillo to recommend. It's some minutes below the San Nicolas square. Lovely food and service.

Black rice with baby squid
May 17th, 2019, 01:19 PM

Can't help with Granada but having just recently returned from Barcelona, here are some recommendations for that great city:

St. Augustina del Senyor in El Born--fabulous tapas
Vinitus, not far from Ramblas and Gran Via, again terrific tapas. Go early. There are often long lines of folks waiting--and with reason.
Barceloneta in the area of the same name and on the port, is a large modern, trendy restaurant :with very good food
Igueldo in the Eixample area just off Carrer Enric Granados is a small, modern, minimalist place with great food and service that is very reasonably priced for what is served. We went for dinner twice. It was that good.
Bar Mut is a foodie favorite just off the Diagonal. Basically a small bar with some very inventive food served as a series of small plates.
Tapeo, another tapas bar in El Born with high table seating in the bar and standard height seating in a small space behind the bar. Really excellent and inventive food. Close by the Picasso Museum. Can get crowded. Suggest going to lunch when it opens.
For a "grown-up" sit down dinner, we've always found L'Olive off Balmes excellent. One of the few places you can get roasted goat--excellent. Decor is a bit frumpy but the food is very good.
Again in El Born, (and some other places) Sagardi serves fun Basque pintxoes (small snacks on bread slices) and charges by the toothpick. Fun and pretty good food--but not as good as the others listed above.

Enjoy. Barcelona may be our favorite dining city in Europe and we've eaten there a lot. Lucky you to be headed there.
May 17th, 2019, 04:11 PM

Barcelona:
We did a wine and tapas tour with a guy named Paul. It is his company and it is called Taste of Barcelona. We were a small group of 7 and my husband and I were with a few ladies from London and Canada. They were a fun group. Paul took us from place to place (walking) tasting great food and some very nice wines. I really enjoyed going into the local neighborhoods and eating where the locals eat. Paul was very nice and very informative.
7 Portes was a good restaurant.
We ate at a good place on the water/beach area, just as walk ins under the Westin pool area at the W on the beach in Barcelona. It is not connected to the hotel. It was very good. Seemed like a bar, but the food was delicious.
May 17th, 2019, 05:09 PM

I'll second Julie's recommendations in the Left Eixample of Igueldo, one of the best Basque restaurants in the city and L'Olivé (with same owners as Alta Taberna Paco Meralgo). *In La Ribera/El Born, I also second Tapeo on Carrer Montcada, and yes, get there early!

In addition to, and similar to, Bar Mut, for very creative small plates dining in a stylish setting, we enjoy very much Mont Bar in the Left Eixample. It has a sibling next door, Media Manga. Reservations essential.

In Barceloneta for Sunday lunch rice dishes on the beach our current favorite is the traditional Can Majó with a terrace facing the water. Reservations needed.

For Granada, if you're hankering for dining on seafood fresh from the piers of Motril, try the local's favorite, Cunini or Oliver next door (opened by the former maitre of Cunini and featured in one of the Bourdain episodes), on the Plaza de la Pescadería.

For delicately fried fish and seafood in a very buzzy/tapas bar setting, there are 5 Los Diamantes scattered about, but the one we like most, less touristed and less crowded is Los Diamantes II at Rosario 12, just down the street from their original jammed-to-the-rafters "hole in the wall", Los Diamantes I. Go early when it opens at 8:30 pm.
My Andalusian food guru, Azahar of Sevilla, likes it too-
https://azahar-spain.com/azahartapas...-diamantes-ii/**

For an excellent selections of wines from all D.O.s, including some from Granada, and tapas, another locals' favorite, Azahar's and mine is Taberna la Tana, run by a brother-sister team, at the end of "restaurant row", Calle Navas, at Plazuela del Agua. Again, go early at 8:30 when it opens!
https://azahar-spain.com/azahartapas/la-tana/

And Azahar also likes Saint Germain near the Granada cathedral, which I haven't tried but macdogmom just gave it a thumbs up.
https://azahar-spain.com/azahartapas/tag/saint-germain/

May 19th, 2019, 05:17 AM
dpd
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. Can't wait to try them out soon.