Barcelona airport questions

Jul 11th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona airport questions

What time do we have to be at the airport before our flights?
Can we leave our luggage in "Left Luggage" at the airport for 4 days?
We have a flight leaving Barcelona at 10:40; what time should we be at the airport? (to Seville)
We have a flight leaving Barcelona at 7:40 am to London. What time should we arrive at the airport?
Thanks so much - whoever took the time to answer these questions.
Carol
Jul 11th, 2003, 10:39 AM

http://www.barcelona-airport.com/

You may have to call the airport to ask about the left luggage.

You should check directly with your airline(s) for how soon before your flights THEY want you to be at the airport. It will almost surely be less time for the flight to Sevilla than the one to London.

For my flight from BCN back to the states (on Lufthansa, via Frankfurt, I think), they wanted me there 2 hours early. I happened to get there even earlier than that, and had lots of time to have a bite to eat and wander around.

The airport has quite a few shops, if you're interested in that sort of thing, though quite a few were under construction in May.
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Depends on which airline. Iberia is the busiest, largest and most chaotic. There are lots of counters with "free-for-alls" to checkin. The counters are well labeled however. (Domestic,i.e. Spain, or International)
Most airlines want you there 1-2 hrs ahead.
We flew British Air from BCN to LHR. They would NOT let us checkin earlier than 2 hrs ahead.
As mentioned there are lots of great shops but they are beyond security. So check in early and browse.
Jul 11th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Intrepid

I agree with the recommendation of calling the airline directly..they're the ones who are making "the rules" on this issue.

Jul 11th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Intrepid

And for that matter, are you certain there IS a "left luggage" facility there? Try www.barcelona-airport.com for info.

Jul 16th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I have searched through the Barcelona airport site and can't find any reference to luggage. I have also sent email to the airport. I haven't been able to find anything about airport security, what time to be to the airport before flights, NADA! Of course, I have old eyes and the print is small.

So my questions are still pertinent.
Of course, I will call the airport when I am in Spain, but I always like to know ahead of time and try to be prepared.

Thanks for the information about the shops. I'm not much of a shopper, but we will need to find a place for coffee for our early morning departure of 7:40.

Let me ask the question THIS way!
Has anyone ever left luggage at the Barcelona airport in a locker or in a "left luggage" area?

Also, we will be picking up our e-ticket from Iberia - using our passports as ID. Has anyone ever done that? Any hints/suggestions?

As always, thanks for any help.
Carol
Jul 16th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Barcelona's a fairly large,busy airport. I have recently checked in at Iberia with my passport for an eticket, and it was no problem. The airline has a "normal" checkin time that I believe is up to one hour before flight, and then there's a period where they make you wait to check in "last minute." I don't quite understand the system, but I'd be there AT LEAST 1 hour ahead if you're flying within Spain. We were there 1 1/2 hours early and had a little time to enjoy the shops. No info on your luggage issue.
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

thought I would resurrect this one as I still need to know some of the answers. I'm hoping a new population will read this thread!

Especially about the left luggage. We will be coming from a cruise ship with too much luggage to take on Iberia for 4 nights in Sevilla.
If you know the answer, I'd appreciate a reply.
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Brahmama,
I just checked the official Spain airports site, www.aenes.es and yes, it does list a left luggage, called a "consigna" in Barcelona's airport on the ground floor of Terminal B close to Terminal C. Unlike the Madrid info, it doesn't give details of how much each locker costs or the price per day or the limit of days-only that it exists. BUT my Footprint Barcelona Handbook ('02) says each locker costs 3,60 for a 24 hr. period. And the "consigna" is open 24 hrs. So you should be able to leave the luggage for 4 days, just paying 3,60 per day. My Time Out and Lonely Planet Barcelona '02 guides concur on this info except to say that the per day charge is 4 euros.
(My home office is "Guide Books R Us")
Sep 25th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Ah, Maribel, you are an angel. Thank you so much for this information. It is exactly what I needed. Maybe I can sleep at night now.
Mama