Reload this Page >

How early should we get to the airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
sonya

Tomorrow will be our family's first time flying since 9/11. We always arrived at the airport 1 hour early in the past. Is the new recommended time 2 hours early or do we need more or less than that?

Thanks!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:49 AM
xxx

Depends on the airport. In general, airline regs state 2 hours at major airports, and at some of them, especially at busy flying times, you might need it.
At the tiny regional airports with 5 gates, one hour should be fine...

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Ann

Check USAir's website for airport information: http://usairways.com/travel/current_operations/check_in/index.htm

I think you'll find it helpful.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Statia

It also depends on the airline, as well as whether you are flying domestic or international. I assume you mean domestic, so most airlines recommend 2 hours...3 for international.

Personally, I now add a bit more time than recommended since security measures are tighter, and therefore the lines can be longer.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:00 AM
J T Kirk

It does depend on the airport and whether you're flying domestic or international.
Interestingly, the Atlanta airport (which is either #1 or #2 for busiest airports) is now saying that domestic passengers only need ONE hour. The last several times I have flown, I had time to spare (having allowed one hour). Obviously, peak times will change things.
Have fun.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
tj

What airport?

What day?

What time of day?

Where you going?

It took me five minutes from curb through security in Buffalo the other night, but I have been in 1-2 hour waits in other places.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:03 AM
carolyn

Check with your airline and see what they suggest. I flew out in April (my third time since 9/11) and the experience was similar to before 9/11. We flew out of Baltimore and Austin, and an hour beforehand was more than enough time. Saturday is a busy travel day, so you might want to get there just a bit earlier.

We also took advantage of curbside check-in, much shorter lines than in the terminal.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:05 AM
sonya

Leaving tomorrow, Saturday June 8th. Flight leaves relatively small airport in FL at 11:40am going to Nat'l Airport in DC.

It sounds like we would be fine if we arrived at the airport at about 10am for this.

Thank you all for the really quick replies!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:21 PM
carolyn

Sonya,

FYI... I have a client who flies in and out of National quite often and she says it's a breeze!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:44 PM
crys

I find that an hour is usually plenty of time for a domestic flight. However, if you're checking luggage and like to stay on the safe side, give yourself 90 minutes.