Barcelona

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona

Hi

I am going to Barcelona this January to celebrate my honeymoon. This will be the first time we have ever visited Spain. Could you tell us wheres the place to be for new years celebration. Also could you tell us where are some areas to avoid staying and visiting in Barcelona. Thanks for all the help.

Bao Thai
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Bootman4U

If it is the same at New Years Eve as it is during the other festival times in Barcelona then one place "to be" will be on the square in front of the gothic cathedral. I am certain Las Ramblas (a short distance away will be busy, too)...check out a guidebook for the city. The Colon hotel looks out at the cathedral..if you stay THERE ask for a balcony room that fronts on the cathedral.
Use a moneybelt, especially on the Metro (the only city I have ever been pickpocketed in..when I wasn't using mine). You'll probably hear about the Ramblas and some of the con artists who hang out there but it is definitely part of the "local culture" and not to be missed. Just don't get hooked on any of their crooked (just like New York City) shell games.

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. Does anyone know if the areas of daigonal and balmes, if that's a good area to be in. Also if there is much to do in those areas?
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 07:19 AM

Diagonal and Balmes is nice (on the upscale side) and is close to Passeig de Gracia and lots of shopping. It depends on your style - do you want to be in the center of everything or in a more quiet area? Do you mind taking the metro or do you want to be able to walk to sites?

There is plenty to choose from at New Years from discos to fancy dinners. Have fun!
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Well, I guess we want a little of everything. We want the quiet on some nights and then the fun on others. As far as walking we don't mind. We don't mind taking the subway also. Does anyone have any recommendations on travel at night time. Should we take the subway or walk. Is it safe at night? I'm sure being close to the shopping area will be greatly appreciated by my fiance. Thanks for the help everyone.