Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which hotel, The Majestic or Colon in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am debating about which hotel to pick for our pre-cruise stay in Barcelona, we have it down to the Majestic or Colon.
We want something close or on Las Ramblas, quiet enough to sleep, and with nice accomodations.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:32 PM

I can't speak for the Majestic, but my wife and I stayed at the Colon for five nights in May of 2003 and liked it very much. It was convenient; everything we wanted to see was either within walking distance or close to Metro stations. Pay the extra fee for a room fronting the square and the Cathedral. It's worth it for the view of the Cathedral at night and its not noisy so you'll be able to sleep.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:02 AM

Another vote for the Colon and a room with a view of the cathedral...it is unforgettable and an easy walk to "The Ramble" and other parts of the Gothic Quarter and to then Jaume I Metro stop as has been stated above.

The place is pricey by some standards but I think it is worth every penny, especially if you haven't been to Barcelona before..the square in front of the cathedral is definitely the real deal.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 01:59 AM

I might take Colon if cathederal view is garaneed but the recent reports said the cathedral had still been scaffolded. It was already last winter when I was there. Then I will surely take Eixapmle area that I love and where Majestic is located.

> We want something close or on Las Ramblas, quiet enough to sleep ..

Majestic to Las Ramblas/Plaça Catalunya is 10 minute walk. If 10 minutes is too far, there are AC diplomatic, Condes among others which were closer but sill in Exiample area.

You might like to check the famous Maribel's File for Barcelona, if you have not yet.

http://www.maribelsguides.com/mg_barcelona.pdf

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 04:07 AM

I stayed in the Majestic twice about 10 years ago so not very up to date info, but it was very nice then. I'd say it was more like 2 minutes' walk to the Placa Catalunya (and yes, I have been back to Barcelona more recently and walked past it) : it's not on the Eixample but the Paseo de Gracia (sp?), which is the continuation of the Ramblas. It had a rooftop swimming pool which was nuce. The only problem was that from a lower floor room on the street the traffic was very noisy; so if you go for it, specify an upper floor.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Caroline, I understand Paseig de Gracia is a broad street which goes THROUGH Eixample area.

This street is not exactly the continuation of Las Ramblas but goes pararell with Passeig de Gracia, above Plaça Catalunya. As for the distance, it's 5 blocks away from Plaça Catalunya.

I haven't stayed at Majestic but did at those I mentioned above. Somewhere (Tripadviser.com?) I read more than once
Majestc's beds are the hardest. Do you remember anything about this? Apart from the beds, the reviews seem usually positive.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Hi drummer0002-
I have stayed at The Majestic, and was very pleased with the accomodations and location. The Colon is closer to Las Ramblas, however, I personally liked the Majestic location better for my needs.

I liked the upscale feel to the neighborhood of the Eixample where the Majestic was located. The distance to Las Ramblas from The Majestic is a very close walk.

As far as the bed was concerned, I remember that it was very comfortable and the accomodations were great. If you do decide on The Majestic, ask for a room facing the Passeig de Gracia as it overlooks Gaudi buildings and is wonderful to view by day and at night.
The Colon is in "the tourist hub" by the Cathedral, and a little too congested for my preference.