Barce to Bordeaux Via the Pyrenees

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. My wife and I planning a road trip from Barcelona through the Pyrenees to Bordeaux (or nearby) in September. We have around 10 days (not including Barcelona) and would like to meander through the mountains with stops at the beautiful villages along the way.
Our rough route at this stage is Barce, Ordino, Arreau, Lanuza, Loudes, Bordeaux.
We will be doing Carcassone and Besalu later, after travelling through France, so dont need to see these beautiful places on the Barce - Bordeaux part of our trip.
Is this route viable, good?
Your advice would be most appreciated.
Mick
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 02:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Barcelona to Bordeaux generally; I can tell you the Euro bicycle route is fantastic except for about a mile in the Pyrenees, I can be more specific if that is a route you are looking at. Walking would also be fine, though even that early I would keep an eye on the weather in the mountains (I've been hit by freezing hail in June). The train should be easy enough and I guess you could use a car but a hire car would need to pick up any cross country return fees.

Now, referring to your route specifically, it takes you through the tax-free state of Andorra and the trick is to avoid the shoppers from Spain and France coming to buy fridges. Which form of transport are you considering?

"Barce"? is where? I know it as a football team, but....
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We are travelling by rental car and have paid the cross border charge.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, you probably need more of an Andorra expert than me. Though you might like to add Pau into your places to visit.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 07:04 AM

This will give some ideas of sights on the French side:
https://flic.kr/s/aHsjqcM8HD
and on the Spanish side:

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 02:11 PM

Barcelona to Bordeaux

Lanuza, in the Tena Valley in nice. We Normally recommend stopping overnight in Tramacastilla de Tena, at Hotel El Privilegio De Tena. I would drop Ordino and head to Vielha instead.

I would make my first stop in La Seu d'Urgell, then on to Vielha, followed by Arreau. From there you head south to Laspuņa by way of Torla-Ordesa and into the Tena Valley. From there you cross back over the Pyrenees to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port or up to Pau before driving to the Brodeaux area. And yes, I would skip Lourdes. Don't forget to have plenty of cash to pay the tolls if you drive the A-63 toward Bordeaux.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Robert2016
Lanuza, in the Tena Valley in nice. We Normally recommend stopping overnight in Tramacastilla de Tena, at Hotel El Privilegio De Tena. I would drop Ordino and head to Vielha instead.

I would make my first stop in La Seu d'Urgell, then on to Vielha, followed by Arreau. From there you head south to Laspuņa by way of Torla-Ordesa and into the Tena Valley. From there you cross back over the Pyrenees to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port or up to Pau before driving to the Brodeaux area. And yes, I would skip Lourdes. Don't forget to have plenty of cash to pay the tolls if you drive the A-63 toward Bordeaux.
I have had no problems in recent years using my pin & sign US credit card in unattended toll booths.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 08:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Everyone has their own opinion but I enjoyed my visit to Lourdes.