bamburg or Nuremberg ?? with kids

Old Jan 13th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bamburg or Nuremberg ?? with kids

Hello my Fodors friends,
We have 3 nights in early June that I would like to fill in. Our choices thus far after a stay in Berlin will be Bamburg or Nuremberg. Our girls are 7 and 10 years old. Well traveled for their age. I was thinking of doing a day trip to the city we don't stay overnight in. Any suggestions or preferences pro and con? we will be traveling with a train.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 10:25 AM

Bamberg is small, cozy, and easy, with a great medieval center. It's a real gem, and very easy to negotiate. Nuremburg is more city-like. Bamberg also has fantastic beer.
Old Jan 13th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Nuremberg. There's a zoo, children's museum, a LEGO store, and Playmobil Funpark (just outside town), just to name a few places that would appeal to children.

Bamberg is great if you love beer and are a foodie.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

We will be traveling by train so would that make a difference?
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 02:00 PM

Both are connected by train, so no problems. I like both cities very much, but Nürnberg has quite a few remnants of WWII, some of which may take some explanation from you. I don't know if you plan on including those sights in your itinerary or when exactly you should introduce little people to these concepts (mine is not at that stage yet), but just so you can think about it before you get there. May be simpler to skip the controversial parts.

There also used to be a toy museum in Nürnberg but it's been a while since I've been. On my first visit in 1990 I bought from the museum shop a tiny set of cards with landscapes painted on each card, infinitely able to be combined with all the others, as it was so cleverly painted that the edges matched up on each one. It was a reproduction of an old 18th century toy. When I went back some years later they no longer had that toy, so I count myself very lucky. Nürnberg also has these great little mini sausages (Nürnberger Rostbratwürste). Delicious!

Meanwhile, Bamberg is postcard-pretty, UNESCO World Heritage. I think it is prettier than Nürnberg.

Lavandula
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM

The Nürnberger brats are available throughout Franconia, including Bamberg so don't let those tasty little sausages be a deciding factor.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

funny....I really almost decided Nuremberg just because of the sausages...lol....i love love love them. we will do a day trip to one or the other.....
Lavandula.....i'm introducing WWII slowly....berlin wall etc. my oldest already is familiar with Anne Frank and what happened there. My little one not yet.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 10:36 PM

If you are in Franconia and see a sign that says "Drei im Weckla", those are Nürnbergers. Served in a roll.