Bamberg to Frankfurt Airport hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling from Bamberg by train to the Frankfurt area on a Sunday and taking a noon flight on Monday from Frankfurt Airport (FRA) back to the Washington DC on Monday at noon on United. I assume that I should try for an airport hotel that has a shuttle to the
FRA on Monday morning. Does anyone have a recommendation of an airport hotel with a restaurant? Also, how does one get from the airport train stop to one of these hotels?
Is the FRA train station before or after the downtown Frankfurt hauptbahnhof?

Thank you

Pat
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Your best bet is to stay in town instead of near the airport. The main train station in Frankfurt is only 11 min. away from the airport by train. You would spend far more time waiting on a shuttle to one of the airport hotels unless you are at the Sheraton. Besides, there is nothing to see out at the airport, so why not stay in town and do a bit of sightseeing?
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 12:55 PM

I agree with Mainhattengirl - I would not stay at the airport. There are dozens of hotels of all budgets within walking distance to the central station and from there you could do some last minute sightseeing around Frankfurt city. To get into the city from the airport - just follow the signs to the train station (located below ground) and from there it is clearly sign posted to 'track 1, Frankfurt City'. Its really easy believe me. It costs 3.90 euro for a one way ticket and like Mainhattengirl said, only takes 11 minutes. There are just two stops between the airport and the city. If I can manage to do it, anyone can.
Bamberg is absolutely stunningly gorgeous - was there for New Year's. Its one of the nicest places I've ever been to.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 01:23 PM

I would stay in town it's easy to get to FRA from the city and you'll have plenty of time. Well, unless you're a late sleeper.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I will look into staying in the city, then. One question, though. I thought that I would be taking the train from Bamberg, transferring at Wurzburg to a train that goes to
Frankfurt airport and to Frankfurt city. Is there another transfer involved?

Pat
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM

You can go directly to Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof from Bamberg with no changes or with just one change at Würzburg. Take your pick. Oddly enough, the train with no changes, takes a bit longer, but you don't have to get on and off any trains.

On the Deutsche Bahn website, just type in Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof as your end destination and you will get the train info you are looking for.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will do that.

Pat