Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ballet tickets at the Garnier in Paris when sold out online.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at other threads regarding this question and I still am wondering the best course of action. I want tickets to Jewels- George Bolanchine on the weekend of Nov. 11 or 12 and nothing is available online. I read on a thread that the cheapest tickets are not even sold online. Should I call the box office, or just wait and go to the box office when I arrive? I arrive on the 7th. Should I go then or wait until show day?? Any help would be appreciated!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 11:35 AM

You might have seen this thread in which I wrote in:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34589875

I'd call the box office (there's a number you can call from the US) and ask about the tickets situation. Though there may not be any left online, they may be some you can buy on the phone. And you can also ask about the last-minute tickets.

Apparently I only paid 7 euros for a side box (in July). Unbelievable bargain. Buy that if you can and use the opportunity to tour the Garnier, which is what I did.

Have fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Oh good luck wtggirl!!
We saw a William Forsyth Ballet at the Garnier and it was magical.
We called the box office . We just picked them up the night of the performance.
Hope you get them!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I saw this ballet on my 10th wedding anniversary a few years ago. It is so beautiful. I really loved it.

However I just returned from Paris and I saw Le Parc and I did not care for it at all. I do not know much about ballet, just that I know what I like.
The theatre was very hot, the heat on full blast..many people squirming and fanning.

I hope you get your tickets. It was such a very, very beautiful production.
I got my tickets online both times, but several months in advance. I paid only 16 euros for the last tickets to Le Parc. The seat was fine.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:22 AM

Couldn't you also try the 'half-price kiosk' at Place Madeleine..?

http://www.kiosquetheatre.com

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM

I don't think they sell ballet (or opera) tickets at the half price kiosque--ever. It's really for theatre.

I've gotten tickets at the box office to ballets that you could not buy online. I don't think that always means they are "sold out", but sometimes the online thing doesn't work right or they don't want to sell them all online. I'm not sure, I just know I've gotten tickets at the box office a couple days before performance when online there were none available. These were not cheap seats or obscured view or something like that, either, but prime seats.

So, if you don't call, I would think it worthwhile to go to the box office -- as soon as you can. No reason to wait until show day as if they have any, they could get sold, although you probably don't want to spend that much time on this -- going every day.

If you know French, I was just able to get tickets to that on both 11/11 and 11/12 on two French ticket agency websites -- www.fnac.com and www.ticketnet.fr

They both had orchestra seat tickets for sale at 91-92 euro. That is a slight markup for agency fees, but not too bad, as I think they are around 75-80 euro on-site. I don't think they have English-language sections, though. I use FNAC online as I find it very convenient to pick up the tickets from them as there are so many outlets. You can pick up Ticketnet tickets at Virgin records stores and there is one in Louvre and on the Champs-Elysees.

If you want really cheap tickets, though, that could be the problem. Sometimes they are sold out and not the expensive seats, and the agencies don't usually sell the cheap seats.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Call them or send an e mail. It seems to me that cheap tickets are really not sold on line. I did the same thing for Staatsoper Berlin Schwanensee! 8 €!!!!
It looked as if those were sold out but I got them directly emailing box office! And those REALLY are a bargain. AND they were so nice as to give me the best of the cheapest seats!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! Ivson, where did you find the email? I did not see it online. Thanks, Christina, I will consider paying 90E. But, there are four of us and that is more than I want to pay. You have all been a great help.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

If I call the box office, will anyone speak English? My French is tres mauvais!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Call the 33 1 number listed in the thread I pasted for you.

You can ask for an English speaking person.