Reload this Page >

Ballet in Paris?

Search

Ballet in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:24 PM
eleanor

Ballet in Paris?

I am going to be in Paris the last week of October. Can anyone tell me if there are any ballet performances at that time, and how I might go about researching them and getting tickets? <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:41 PM
jahoulih

Try www.opera-de-paris.fr. I see Giselle is playing at the Palais Garnier on Oct. 30. You can book tickets on line; there's a place to click for English.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:27 AM
Fred

If you'd like to attend a Ballet or Opera while in Paris, here is an agency and a web site you can use: <BR>Go to: http://www.opera-de-paris.fr <BR>You can get both Opera and Ballet tickets from this site. Click on the British flag for English or the option "English." You'll have 5 minutes to complete the transaction - have your credit card ready. If you don't make it and it ends, just start over - you'll do better the 2nd time. <BR> <BR>Write or Fax the Agence Cheque Theatre - 33 rue le Petier - 75009 Paris. <BR>Tel 011-33-1-42-46-72-40. Fax: 011-33-1-48-00-93-93. Request a schedule. If you decide to attend, order the tickets through them - it's put on your charge card, they send you a voucher, and you pick up the tickets 30 minutes before curtain time at the desk marked "Agences" in the lobby. <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:33 AM
s.fowler

I booked ballet tickets for Opera Palais Garnier at the site mentioned above. There IS an English option discreetly tucked in a corner -- I missed it and stumbled through [successfully] in French. The tickets arrive within a week if I recall. Easy as pie even in french!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:39 AM
s.fowler

The Giselle on Oct. 30 is at Palais Garnier -- which is a spectacularly lovely historical opera house. The production is a modern one by Mat Eks - I can't remember HOW and in what way -- but it won't be the traditional version by a long shot. You might want to try the other program for that period as it involves two ballets [Le Nain & L'enfants Sortilege] and is likely to be "more for your money" both in variety and length. Giselle, if it involves the traditional score, is only 2 acts and makes for a scant evening, a fact that somer companies note by scheduling another one act ballet with it.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 05:33 AM
Fred

&lt;&lt;The production is a modern one by Mat Eks - I can't remember HOW and in what way -- but it won't be the traditional version by a long shot.&gt;&gt; <BR> <BR>Too bad. We saw Giselle at the Garnier and, although I am not a fan of ballet, it was the most beautiful evening I've ever spent at a show.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:37 AM
jahoulih

I think Le Nain and L'Enfant et les sortilèges are opera, not ballet. So if it's ballet Eleanor wants, it may be Giselle or bust--Mats Ek and all.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:32 AM
s.fowler

Yup -- thy're operas -- my bad <BR>I did a "google" search for the Eks version and this [trabslated amusingly by babelfish] is all I could find in the way of a description. <BR>----- <BR>Also Mats RPC "Giselle " from the year 1982 would offer an interesting contrast. Ek is a gladly seen Gastchoreograph at the opera house. With it Giselle, by an elegant city human being sit-let a Landei, ends in the lunatic asylum - where the passengers and the maintenance personnel just as white dresses carry as once the Wilis in the forest. <BR>--------- <BR>Here's the orginal site for those of you not needing babelfish for German <BR>http://www.tages-anzeiger.ch/archiv/...0209/82445.HTM <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:40 AM
carol

http://www.euronet.nl/users/cadi/ME.html <BR> <BR>More on Mats Ek: he's a modern dance/ballet choreographer "more concerned with social values that aesthetic values, according to the above English 1 paragraph biographical blurb about him. You can find more ballet information/schedules on the Paris Tourist Office Site: www.paristourist-office.com.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:46 AM
Ursula

Carol: It's paris-touristoffice.com <BR>(a small, but important difference). <BR> <BR>Sally: Now, I am really wondering how you found that article in "my" daily paper(Tages-Anzeiger), wow! <BR>I saw the "Giselle" version of Heinz Spoerli at the Zurich Opera House last year and just loved it.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:51 AM
YS

Are there any performances in the second part of August?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:04 AM
Ursula

YS: According to the website www.opera-de-paris.fr there are no performances at all in August. <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:07 AM
s.fowler

Ursula -- I "googled" There was probably more information on the pages in Scandinavian languages, but babelfish doesn't do them. <BR> <BR>Form my $$$ -- it doesn't much matter what is on the stage at Palais Garnier -- the theater itself is so gorgeous!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:25 PM
jahoulih

Here's a site with an English description of Ek's Giselle as it was done in Paris in 1998: <BR> <BR>http://parisvoice.com/98/oct/html/default_dance.html