Reload this Page >

Any Baby travel tips?

Search

Any Baby travel tips?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:31 AM
new dad

Any Baby travel tips?

My wife and I are expecting our first child in September. We are experienced traveller's but this is all-new. We are thinking about an April vacation. <BR> <BR>What is a babies tolerance level for time on a plane? Is purchasing a 3rd seat worth it? Any sugestions from experienced parents is greatly appreciated. thanks!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:47 AM
Buyer

New Dad, why did you post this question on the USA boards,saying that you were going to Mexico or the Caribbean??? <BR> <BR>Usually babies on planes opens up the flood gates for people both pro-and con on baby travel. <BR> <BR>I would definately not recommend taking a newborn infant abroad, presuming your point of origin is USA... international travel is tough on an adult ammune system let alone a baby. They are exposed to tons of bacteria,, the dry air of the cabin on long flights and painful ears... If you do decide to travel, then in the best interests of your baby, if it were me, I'd pick a destination closer to home with a max 3 hour flight time... besides that way if your baby screams the entire trip.. as they often do, people will be less likely to kill you after only 3 hours then they would on a 10 hour flight. <BR> <BR>I think you need to get a 3rd seat since babies have been injured during heavy turbulence.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 11:51 AM
new dad

As this seems to be the most active board, thought I'd post it here, as well, hoping that more people would see it. I know where I would like to go, just wanted some advice on how to make it easier. (and yes I'm thinking of a Western Hemisphere trip.) <BR>Thanks for your input.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:10 PM
mom

There are lengthy threads about traveling with babies on both this forum and the US Forum. I'll save you a lot of grief and summarize for you: As a new parent you should not be looking past the baby's arrival and first six months of becoming a family. You also shouldn't plan on a big trip, unless it is to Grandma's house. Babies are unpredictable.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:54 PM
Oaktown Traveler

New Dad: <BR> <BR>I too wondered why you posted this potentially explosive question on the two threads. Do your thing. Do not do this when your babe becomes a kid. It will embarass the poor thing and the kid will accuse you of being "old". <BR> <BR>I will add to what MOM said. You need to first have the baby, see how this baby is , how you all are and THEN <BR>re-set the compass, dice or internet travel advice barometer. Your pediatrician can also help at that time. <BR> <BR>As experienced travelers I wonder that you do not have enough experience between the two of you to possibly have a leg-up on this "question". <BR> <BR>Sorry to be so snippy but its HOT in CA and these boards have been frustrating for the past 4 days...3 of which I was traveling. Enough about me. Have a great pregnancy and if your spouse is up for it take as many weekend trips, fancy restaurants, and movies NOW before the new baby comes. <BR> <BR>Serious Tip: The BetterHomes and Gardens <BR>web site is the absolute BEST site to discuss travel for families and new borns with folks who really do care and with folks who will not say that they have had enough of the question or the internet discussion. <BR> <BR>My Very Best to you, your wife and the baby! <BR>Oaktown

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:03 PM
justtrying

try searching using baby, child or children. There is a ton of good info and a ton of BS on this site regarding your topic. Yes, buy a seat for the child and, no, your child's immune system will not be overcome by the plague by going to Europe.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:31 PM
Now You've Done It!

New Dad, <BR> <BR>A sure-fire way to have a baby with cholic is to plan to travel with the baby. You are just jinxing yourself. <BR> <BR>Seriously, though, you'd really better keep this simple. At 7 months, the child will still be nursing or taking a bottle and &lt;horror&gt; needing to be spoon fed from those little jars of food. Everything the baby can reach will go right in the mouth, so Mexico is completely out of the question. <BR> <BR>Yes, you'll need the second seat, because baby could be around 20 pounds by then, and quite unwilling to lie in your arms. <BR> <BR>At 7 months, you'll finally be getting back into a decent sleep routine. It will take weeks to get back on schedule if you go too many time zones. <BR> <BR>Bottom line: traveling with an infant this age is serious, serious work. Not worth it, in my very experienced opinion. Save the big trips for later.