baggage for Alitalia

Search

baggage for Alitalia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
baggage for Alitalia

Hi, I am not familiar with Alitalia. And their website isnt too informative. When they say one piece of hand carry luggage, does that mean purses or personal computer are also counted as hand carry? so i cannot bring a small roller plus a purse or computer? thanks in advance.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi summagold,

you're right, the website isn't crystal clear.

but the latest trend is for "one piece of hand-luggage" to mean just that. what I do is to make sure that there is enough space in my hand-luggage for my handbag for boarding purposes. if you can't do this, you run the risk that they will make you put your "roller" in the hold, and charge you $$$ for doing so.

recently easyjet were doing this at Bristol [and being very strict with the size of hand luggage] but at Barcelona on the way back, they were less strict.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM
J62

The website only says this

Personal belongings such as briefcases and portable computers are considered to be hand luggage which you can take onboard. You are allowed to carry only 1 piece of hand luggage onboard....

Seems pretty clear to me, but maybe I'm interpreting the part about only 1 piece differently than you are.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

We've always flown into Europe with Continental Airlines, so their rules are a bit different. One hand carry size luggage PLUS a personal such as purse or laptop. I guess Alitalia is much stricter? I just hate checking baggage in, and it seems like Alitalia leaves me no choice but to check in.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

can anyone else that hand carried with Alitalia comment? thanks.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM

One hand carry size luggage PLUS a personal such as purse or laptop>>

summagold - in Alitalia speak, that means 2. my recent experience of checking luggage, [not with Alitalia, mind you] is that by the time we were through passport control our luggage was on the carossel. with all the restrictions on size, weight, and number, AND having to carry those stupid plastic bags with the tiny bottles, it hardly seems worth it.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

yeh it doesnt "seem worth it" until they lose our luggage and we are without for days. i have read some horror stories about Alitalia baggage.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 09:26 AM

According to the Alitalia site your carry-on can be 1 piece, no more than 5kgs, so that would seriously limit what you can take on board:

"Hand luggage dimensions
You are allowed to carry only 1 piece of hand luggage onboard which must not exceed the following dimensions (including handles, side pockets and wheels):
Weight: 5 kgs., length: 55 cm, height: 25 cm, depth: 35 cm"

http://www.alitalia.com/US_EN/your_t...andluggage.htm
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 11:38 AM
J62

5kg isn't much at all, about 11 lbs, or about the weight of 1 1/2 gallons of milk.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM

I hope you're getting an excellent price on your ticket to take Alitalia. Have you read the comments about it on this board. Not to make you more concerned, but if they lose your luggage, they have no customer service and trying to get it back is not easy. Friends we were traveling with lost their luggage. Hotel personnel called, we called, etc. Alitalia hung up on us and didn't answer calls. We finally called our insurance company and they found the bag. It caught up with us a week later.
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Ann, your post isnt comforting at all. We got the flight thru Orbitz. We thought it was a good price. Couldnt find anything better as we are flying during the holidays, christmas and nye. We have always flown to Europe on Continental and once on Virgin. Sounds like we are in for some potential problems. We are flying December 19th. Hopefully it isnt so crazy that day. I really dont know if we can travel on one hand carry bag each if we will be France for 2 weeks. sigh....
Old Nov 21st, 2009, 07:41 PM

I flew Alitalia from Vancouver to Rome and then on to Florence this May. I carried a rather large, tote-type purse and a day pack, without any questions asked.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

as an update to our experience with Alitalia back in December 2009. i know this is rather late, but better late than never!

they are VERY strict with hand luggage. in fact they weigh every handcarry luggage you have. i have a roller handcarry that i have traveled extensively with, on continental, air france, delta, etc. and never any problems. alitalia of course had a problem with it. they said it wouldnt fit in the overhead bin. they also had a problem with the weight. so they made us check that in. they do allow a bag + 1 personal, but they combine the weight together.

once in Rome, what a nightmare. I dont know if it is Alitalia or FCO, but as soon as you get off the plane you turn the corner and there is another set of security screening you have to get through before immigration. they scan your hand luggage and everything. there was no line, no ryhme or reason. people milling about everywhere. no one directing and no one to ask questions. there must have been another flight that came in before, because we sat towards the front of the plane and there were tons of people already there waiting to get through security. we had a connection to Nice, and lets just say it was nerve racking and a mad dash to the gate. and to make matters worse, and no surprise really, our luggage didnt make it. After worrying all day and evening, our luggage was finally delivered late that night. we were really lucky. needless to say, we will never fly alitalia again, no matter the sale price. the hassle just isnt worth it. [this is an opinion and my opinion only.]
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:34 PM

You were very lucky to get your luggage so soon. Now that they've merged with AirOne I was hoping things would be better. I know someone who works for the TSA and he said that even though the screening process is the TSA and airport, the airlines have a lot to do with it. And that's worldwide.

Alitalia's prices are really tempting, but not tempting enough for me go fly them again. Thanks for the update.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 01:57 PM

I wouldn't fly Alitalia if I were given a free ticket. I had a beyond horrid experience with them. The son of one of my closest friends also had trouble with them both in Florence and Rome just 6 months ago. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM

once in Rome, what a nightmare. I dont know if it is Alitalia or FCO, but as soon as you get off the plane you turn the corner and there is another set of security screening you have to get through before immigration.>>

sumagold - we didn't experience that at FCO in February, but we flew easyjet. perhaps it's an Alitalia thing.