Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bad rental experience with Auto Europe + Goldcar

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

PLEASE don't book a rental car from Auto& Europe (GOLDCAR), you will only have untrue informations (not corresponding with their T&C and the bill ounce you are at your Destination will EXPLODE. A lot of ADDITIONAL extra costs... insurance, travelling in another country. etc... etc....
Please don't book with Auto & Euorpe (GOLDCAR) rental, they are even not following the clauses which are mentioned in their rental contract !!!!
In my case i had a rental of 10 days for being in Portugal and 3 of them for visiting Spain. In their T&C ist mentioned that visiting another Country their is a surcharge (which i may accept till a certain Level). IN their T&C its mentioned that this surcharge is 9 euro per day with a min of 25 till a max of 90 euros. So at the Golcar Counter they said that i had a surcharge of 90 euros. In reality if i am applying their T&C, it should be 27 euros. When i returned the car, i informed the GOLDCAR inspector and he replied that next time a should not reveal them the info that i am visiting another Country... Which means that honest People have to pay more....
Other Topic, when i returned home, i tried to send my complain thru the Auto&Europe Website. Their System asked to add different documents, which i did but their System mentioned each time that there was an error. Finally i called Auto europe Germany, and i had a Lady who had no clue neither interet about my problem.
Another item, when you get the car, be sure that you check the outisde of your car. In my case on the rental document it was mentioned 3 scratches but in reality i counted 19 different ounce !!!! So i had to go back to the Counter to update the document.

The worst experience i got with a rental car company during 25 years of travelling. Definitely, my FIRST and LAST time with Auto&europe & GOLDCAR rental !!!!!
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:37 AM

Did you establish whether the surcharge should be charged for the whole duration of the rental or just the days you are visiting another country?
I doubt anyone advised you not to mention visiting another country, if you had an accident in that country, you would not have been covered by insurance.
This hardly constitutes a "worst experience" for such minor issues which you could have sorted before confirming the rental booking. Informing the counter of scratches before you drive off of any damage over and above what is on the report is normal procedure.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 04:59 AM

The issue isn't with Auto Europe who are simply a very good consolidating sales company but with Goldcar, who generally are a poor operator offering very low prices and insanely poor service at many of their sites.

So yes, I agree, I my experience avoid Goldcar.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 05:19 AM

I assume by Auto&Europe you mean AutoEurope, based in Maine. I rented more than 100 cars from them over 30+ years and never had a problem. That's beside the point I know, but your problems are with GoldCar, a notoriously horrible company (did you not do any research? AutoEurope almost always has a choice of providers and you are able to pick the one YOU want).

AutoEurope has 24/7 telephone assistance, and you waited until you got home to call them? Why didn't you pick up your phone while you were in the GoldCar office returning the car and call AutoEurope immediately. I have had to call them a couple of times and their response was swift and satisfactory.

And why did you try to use their website to file a complaint when they make it so easy to make a phone call?
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 08:46 AM

oh, I could believe a car rental agent would say anything, you can't predict that. Of course if something did happen, it would invalidate the insurance or contract probably if you didn't and were supposed to.

I suspect you misinterpreted the terms. It sounds to me like there is a 9 euro per day surcharge if you say you want a car to drive and will be driving it in another country during the rental period, not that it is per day you are in that country. After all, how could they regulate that, how many exact days you were in another country. So I suspect the 90 euro charge is correct. I wonder if that is due to the terms of their Autoeurope agreement, as on their own website, there aren't any such conditions if you rent directly.

maybe Goldcar is bad, I've never heard of them. I'm sure they aren't one of the top tier companies
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 08:52 AM

Tons here have reported excellent service from AutoEurope - seems to be a great company for Fodorties. Each individual agency could have blurbs I guess.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 08:54 AM

AutoEurope is a major consolidator in Europe, and we do not know where Luc lives. He does say that he called AutoEurope Germany, and I know that AutoEurope is one of many European car hire companies, with separate websites (and pricing) for each country, but only one call centre. I have also spoken to a call centre in Germany about a car I rented through a U.K. website.

I have only once had a problem with a car I had rented, and that was with Goldcar. The driver's door mirror was shattered while we were parked at Valldemosa on Mallorca. I took the car back to the office and they fitted a new glass in 15 minutes at no cost to me. That seemed to me to be good service.

Many of the cheaper car hire companies in Spain cater mainly to Northern Europeans who just need a car for a week to ge to their destination and travel around locally. They place restrictions because they don't want the expense of dealing with problems far from the rental base. You get what you pay for.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 09:03 AM

"I suspect you misinterpreted the terms. It sounds to me like there is a 9 euro per day surcharge if you say you want a car to drive and will be driving it in another country during the rental period, not that it is per day you are in that country. After all, how could they regulate that, how many exact days you were in another country"

I believe this to be the case as well.

I think the goldcar terms have precedence over auto Europe terms. There should be some statement in autoeuropes terms that give the priority and may say "in the event of a conflict..." between the two.

Thats one reason I prefer to deal directly with the rental co. Less confusion. But sometimes the brokers make me an offer that is difficult to refuse.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 09:08 AM

Interesting, but Auto Europe doesn't work with GoldCar, they are competitors in the rental car business. Either the OP is confused, or a troll, which I suspect as this is the first and only post.

www.autoeurope.com/our-car-rental-partners/

Christina, GoldCar has been around for quite some time, and as noted, does not have a great reputation with travelers. You can't miss their rental cars. Their name is plastered on the rear windows of the cars.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 10:12 AM

AE does work with GoldCar and a myriad of other rental companies not mentioned on the link which is not a comprehensive list. GoldCar might have a bad reputation but there is nothing in the OPs story that suggests anything more than a misinterpretation of the T&Cs.

<I think the goldcar terms have precedence over auto Europe terms.> Of course they do, the rental contract is between the renter and the rental company.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 11:08 AM

+++When i returned the car, i informed the GOLDCAR inspector and he replied that next time a should not reveal them the info that i am visiting another Country... Which means that honest People have to pay more....++++
Until they either breakdown or have an accident. Then it is costly.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi All,
I still claim that Auto Europe ad Goldcar are bad Companies and for the next reasons.
1. Their complaining process is not working and thus have no after sales Service.Goldcar came back and they didn't mention the 9 euros surcharge per day.
2. THe Lady which i got from Auto Europe, had no clue about the Content of the Problem. Goldcar responded on my complain but ignoring the Problem...
3. There is no mis Interpretation with the fact that it was also confirmed by the Goldcar Counter that the additional 9 euro/day would cover the cost in case they have to repatriate the car in case of damages in the 'Other country' Thus this means its a surcharge depending on the number of days you are in another Country. It sounds logic no...
4. In the car there was a toll device who registered our travelling on the Highways. Thus the 3 missing Dates from not having toll charges coud explain the number of days being in Spain... Looks also quite logic no....
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 07:59 AM

"There is no mis Interpretation with the fact that it was also confirmed by the Goldcar Counter ....."

Did you get them to put it in writing?
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 09:37 AM

<i>THe Lady which i got from Auto Europe, had no clue about the Content of the Problem.</i>

Which AutoEurope? Do the AutoEurope agencies in Europe have the same support system as the one in the States? I had two overcharge problems this past year and when i called Autoeurope took care of them promptly.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 09:39 AM

In Portugal, Gold Car only has offices in Lisbon (airport), Faro, Madeira and the Azores. Checking AE rentals in Lisbon and Faro, Gold Car does not come up as a partner. So just where did the OP rent the car through AE/GoldCar? I'd be interested to know.

> In the car there was a toll device who registered our travelling on the Highways. Thus the 3 missing Dates from not having toll charges coud explain the number of days being in Spain< The toll device only works on toll roads. Not all roads in Portugal are toll roads, so 3 missing dates wouldn't mean anything.
Old Jan 9th, 2018, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

To Robert 2016,
Hi,
It Looks that you are not up to date with the Business with the fact that i booked my rental car through Auto Europe (website)and their car providr was Gold Car in Faro.

It Looks that you also don't know Portugal... I was based in Lagos and travelling to Spain you will have only one road which is the Highway. Using the national road N125 is a suicide to use it. If you check the toll device you will see that one day i drove till the Spanish border and three days later in the opposite direction. All other days were used on the Highway around Lagos. Even the last day it was again from Lagos back to Faro....So if this is not obvious then I am sure that you shoud go back to Primary School... -
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Luc260 View Post
To Robert 2016,
Hi,
It Looks that you are not up to date with the Business with the fact that i booked my rental car through Auto Europe (website)and their car providr was Gold Car in Faro.

It Looks that you also don't know Portugal... I was based in Lagos and travelling to Spain you will have only one road which is the Highway. Using the national road N125 is a suicide to use it. If you check the toll device you will see that one day i drove till the Spanish border and three days later in the opposite direction. All other days were used on the Highway around Lagos. Even the last day it was again from Lagos back to Faro....So if this is not obvious then I am sure that you shoud go back to Primary School... -
Just checked AE web site for rental in Faro and GoldCar is not mentioned as one of the suppliers. But this a AE US. Which AE did you use?
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 06:17 PM

So I checked, and sure enough, Autoeurope.fr uses a whole array of agencies that Autoeurope.com does not, including GoldCar. I think that when there is a gn=eneral recommendation for Autoeurope or Kemwel, it is for the brokers based in the States.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 11:57 PM

Then I take it you failed to read or understand your rental agreement, which would be basic for anyone renting a car. We must also assume you did not book your rental through AE.com, but through AE.fr or AE.eu, which you failed to mention. And we won't mention your lack of understanding the basics, which are obvious.