Backpacking & Hostels

Search

Backpacking & Hostels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backpacking & Hostels

My sons will be traveling to Dublin, Ireland end of September and plan to backpack and go wherever looks good. Sometimes staying in hostels and sometimes in a tent. Just wondering if other backpackers ever stay in tents rather than at Hostels. What will the weather be like then? Information from other backpackers or from someone from Ireland itself would be much appreciated
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:31 PM

I recommend these sites highly:

http://www.eurotrip.com/forum
http://www.guideforeurope.com (click on the message boards link)
http://www.bugeurope.com (particularly the hostels listings)
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:28 PM

and this one:
www.virtualtourist.com

Check the country pages and the forums here. You can post questions and they will be answered, just like here, but generally there is more discussion there, and the crowd is definitely more backpack/hostel/tent-oriented.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 02:41 AM

I would be careful camping. Yes people do camp but it gets cold in the evenings in septand if yopu just decide to pitch a tent where you see a spot you may find an angry farmer who is not happy you did not ask. Hostels I think are a better choice and there is not much camping in Dublin.

Try www.backpacker.ie

S
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Yeh forget camping - carrying a tent, warm sleeping bag around is a drag unless you have a car. Lots of hostels in Ireland - many private ones in additional to Hostelling International ones. Get Let's Go Ireland guidebook for cheap sleep listings. weather should be fairly lousy - cool and wet to be expected, with a 'sunny spell' or two for a few minutes.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I highly recommend The Thorn Tree at www.lonelyplanet.com

There are mostly backpackers and youthful &/or budget travelers posting there. It is a VERY active bulletin board and will most likely be more helpful than the majority of Fodors folks as our style is more mainstream.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

I just want to thank all of you soooo very much. I have checked out all the web sights given and have come to the conclusion tenting is not a good idea. I have also read much of the advice of other Fodorites and checked out hostels in different areas of Ireland. Three places they would like to visit are Galway, Dingle, and Cork. Other than by car, does anyone know the best way to get from Dublin to Galway? Also, is their a ferry from Galway to Dingle? Please feel free to recommend other places. They will flying in/out of Dublin and there 7 days.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:25 AM

Dublin to Galway can be done by train (faster than bus but more expensive) or bus. There are regular services on Bus Eireann and private operators that are cheaper, such as www.citylink.ie
There is no direct ferry from Galway to Dingle but you can catch a ferry across the Shannon estuary at Killimer to Tarbert in Co Kerry, which cuts out a detour via Limerick. There are daily buses to Tralee in the summer that take around 5-7 hours. See http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/
Other places worth going include Co Cork - Cork City, Kinsale, Mizen Head to name just a few highlights, and some inland places like Cashel, Kilkenny and Newgrange (near Dublin).
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You are a sweet Mom to be planning your sons' trip for them. Having said that, I would encourage you to encourage them to join in (the research). I'm not sure which guidebook series would be best for Ireland, but something from Let's Go, Rough Guides, Lonely Planet, etc. are written for backpack/hostel style of travel. Especially if they are planning to "go wherever looks good" at least one guidebook in hand seems essential.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:49 AM

you might be interested in www.tirnanogtours.com