Rome or Rome + the South Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Message: We will be in Italy Sept 10th for 12 nights. Have made tentative plans to take the train south to Naples, and then on to Castellammare di Stabia, making that our base for exploring the Bay of Naples for 6 nights. That would leave 6 nights for Rome and its environs.

Has anyone stayed in Castellammare? It?s hard to get any info, as very few people have stayed there. We?re wondering if there?s a reason.

Are there decent restaurants in the town? Is it feasible to get around to the sights such as Pompeii and Ischia, without driving? We found out you have to take the hotel shuttle to the town of Castellammare (the hotel is not actually in the town) or to Vico Equence, in order to get a train or bus. Thinking this is too time-consuming.

Another possibility would be to use a different town as a base in the south--one with restaurants and a train and bus station in it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Or, maybe it is better to just stay in Rome (with side trips) for the whole l2 nights?

We're also not sure if traveling down from Rome, the same day we fly would be worth it, when there seems to be so much to see & experience in Rome.

This is our 2nd trip to Italy; the 1st time we spent 4 days each in Rome and Venice. My husband likes to visit ruins (such as Pompeii), but I don?t like to devote all my time to that, I?d like to sample the food and lifestyle of the Mezzogiorno--not just the tourist sights.

Also, could you give us some info on good but reasonable restaurants in Rome? We're staying at the Sheraton Roma, which has free hourly shuttle to Termini & Piazza Venezia. Many Thanks,

Lynn

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:08 AM
ira

Hi rav,

Why did you choose Castellammare di Stabia?

Did you consider Sorrento?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ira, we choose Stabia because a new hotel, Crown Plaza Sorrento Coast, just opened its doors, and we saw pics and it looked lovely.(we got a good deal) Also we were told that the area of Castellammare di Stabia is a very convenient base to explore the area from.

However, the person who told us that drove around the area, and we are counting on trains and buses to take us around the coast. Is that feasible? Has anyone stayed at Stabia?
Lynn
Yes, we have considered Sorrento, but the hotel deal we got in Stabia is terrific. Is there a charming hotel in Sorrento(4 stars) that is reasonable. Is a 3 star hotel o.k. in Sorrento?
Lynn
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:43 AM

You will be happier in Sorrento. A much better base location.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:58 AM

It is true that Sorrento is a good base because of the transportation connections, but I also think it is a boring and overtouristed town with nothing of interest to offer.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. How about Naples as a base? Some have said it's an unpleasant town; others say it's changed and is great.
--Lynn
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:57 AM
ira

Hi rav,

>I'd like to sample the food and lifestyle of the Mezzogiorno--not just the tourist sights.

We stayed a few days in Naples last year. I liked it very much. My wife wasn't impressed.

My trip report might give you some ideas
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

>...I also think [Sorrento] is a boring and overtouristed town with nothing of interest to offer.<

I think that that is a bit harsh.