Backpack Or...

Apr 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Backpack Or...

Hi everyone,
I realize that this may be completely frivolous but...

For my past number of trips to Europe I have taken a backpack with me. I find it easy to carry, it has enough room to pack a comfotable amount of stuff, and its really nice to only have one piece of luggage.
However, on my upcoming trip I will be staying in nicer hotels (I had previously been staying in B&B's and two star hotels)and was wondering what you think of taking a backpack into these places (I have three and four star hotels booked...)

My only concern with taking 'regular' luggage is that with a backpack it was easy to navigate various subway systems and be going up and down stairs. It was easy to store on trains, and I didn't have to worry about rolling it down a cobblestone street...
What are your thoughs/experiences?

Thanks in advance!
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:03 AM

Julie, if you have a few hundred bucks to spare, there are several companies that make excellent combination backpack/wheeled luggage. You can wheel it, you can carry it on your back, and in some cases you can tuck the straps away to make it look like "real" luggage. Eagle Creek makes great stuff.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:05 AM

We stay in nice hotels, and my boys (16 and 12) always carry backpacks. Just very convenient. Nobody has ever batted an eye.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:17 AM

I also have stayed in many 4 star hotels and carried a back pack. No problem at all!!!

AND,I'm WAY over 16.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:05 PM

Julie- as long as you have a credit card handy nobody will kick you out of a 3-4 star hotel because you carry a backpack! Seriously, I'm 50-something, usually stay at 3 stars and ALWAYS use a backpack when I travel. Just the simplest, most comfortable way to go. (besides I never could pull those darn wheeled things in a straight line!)
Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:30 PM

If a backpack is what you are comfortable with and have used successfully before... stick with it!

Personally I'm a 22" rolling suitcase person and before that a medium duffle bag was my favorite.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reassurance... I'm not one of those people who worry about what pants I should wear or if I have to wear black when I'm in Paris, or if my shoes are in fashion this season, but for some reason I had to get some advice on the backpack thing!

The Eagle Creek luggage sounds great, unfortunately that extra couple hundred bucks is tied up with the nicer hotels!

Thanks again everyone,
Julie