Intercontinental OR Altstadt In Vienna

Apr 16th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Intercontinental OR Altstadt In Vienna

Hello, I am travelling to Vienna for a week in June-July with spouse & 1yr old infant. Need to choose between Altstadt and Intercontinental for accomodation. Altstadt has great reviews, but rooms have no air conditioning. Intercontinental is offering airconditioned rooms for the same price (both facilities include breakfast buffet).

Any suggestions on which one will be better during summer? Will we need an air conditioner in June-July?

Thanks
Apr 16th, 2003, 03:13 PM

I have a cousin who lives in Vienna. She says it's HOT in Vienna in the summer! She escapes to the mountains, you'll want airconditioning.
Apr 17th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response.
Apr 17th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Big difference in costs, so are you on points? Certainly it can get very hot in July and August here - and be that way for days at a time. June may be OK.
After checking out a lot of places here, I am recommending on a number of threads, Starlight Suites for best value - proper lounge with air con. One person on this site has just got offered euro91 (incl only small breakfast)for June (extras for extra 2 beds).
Of 4-5 star hotels, I have stayed twice in Intercon club rooms and while rooms are fine (alhough I hate the ridiculously low ceilings when having a shower) I have just checked a few more of these hotels out over the weekend, and I would certainly not choose the Intercon over a number of hotels. In this price range (excludes Sacher, Bristol, Imperial and Grand) and with aircon, I would go for Ambassador as best hotel - similar price, better hotel for room quality and room size without any doubt in my view, and better location, followed by Radisson ("older" style part of Radisson, more recently modernised rooms - again bigger rooms than Intercon. The less recently renovated rooms in more "modern" style had good space, but the bed I sat on was awful). Radisson is similar priced to Intercon. Alternative is Marriott (fully done up over last couple of years)and offering better value than Intercon - also readily available on Priceline from what I can see.
I would much rather be in the centre than Kirchgasse (for Altstadt), which is convenient enough to things (but you will find yourself on the metro more), but more happening in the centre where you can just enjoy the ambience of the pedestrian area and the buzz. Kirchgasse has some busy areas nearby -Mariahilferstrasse for largely 2nd division shopping similar in feel to Oxford St - i.e. dirty and overcrowded during shopping time and quite dead at night, although a reasonable number of restaurants in the neighbourhood. If it is purely a choice of 2, I would go for Intercon.
Apr 17th, 2003, 02:11 PM

We stayed 3 nights at the Alstadt at the end of July last year and while it was indeed hot and sunny we were not uncomfortable enough to use the large fans provided by the hotel (and we were in suite on the top floor). It's a well constructed old building that didn't seem to heat up too much and there was no humidity to notice.

I don't know the Vienna Intercontinental but will say that the Alstadt (and its staff) were just wonderful and I will stay there again on my next visit to the city...the place is just filled with charm!
Apr 17th, 2003, 02:42 PM

I hadn't read entire Travelnick post before I sent the above so want to add the location of the Alstadt was just perfect for us...it's somewhat the artsy quarter around there and many wonderful restaurants off the tourist path. We were there for some functions at the newly opened Modern Art complex which is just a few blocks away but also managed to get around just about everywhere on foot--didn't take a tram once but several taxis to further flung locations. My point is that it's not too far out of the Ring of things!
Apr 18th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelnick & Coco for your postings. After reading such great reviews about Altstadt, I am sooo tempted to stay there. Intercontinental had a deal and so we are getting a double room at a great price. But I think Intercontinental will be another cookie-cutter hotel, hence I am not too keen on it.

Coco, it seems that Altstadt has a common kitchen where one can fix something to eat if needed. Did you use it? Was it well equipped? How was the bathroom at Altstadt? I heard that the ones at Intercontinental are very tiny with low ceilings and hence another factor to consider while deciding. thanks again

Apr 19th, 2003, 12:27 AM

If you do settle for Altstadt, then best value pizza restaurant is nearby called Frascati on a pedestrian street called Barnabitengasse - they are huge. So you can get one for 2 people - plenty, and pay 1 euro supplement. Best pizzas are Regina Marguerita in Wallnerstrasse, 1st district, but Frascati is good and twice the size for same price.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM

Hi Mita,
I don't know about a communal kitchen. There is a room/suite on the top floor in the same area as the suite we stayed in that has a great stainless kitchen, full size room with table and chairs, then a separate bedroom and a gigantic bathroom. We looked at it but chose the suite with the living room and bedroom (which cost a little more). It had a lovely bathroom, large but not as large as the "kitchen."

These above 2 rooms and yet one additional room are behind an interior locked door and are sometimes booked all together...wow! I looked at 2 additional rooms on the floor below (I think) which were also charming with large new marble baths as above. Perhaps you should e-mail them to inquire about a communal kitchen and I'd be curious to know!