Notices

Looking for backpack feedback

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for backpack feedback

And yes, the pun was intended!

I've searched and searched (through past Fodor posts) and on countless Web sites, and think I've found a really nice pack - and was wondering if any of you guys had experience with it? Here's the link:

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...GAGE_TRAVEL_SA

It's an Eagle Creek Point A Deuce pack. Just a little info about my planned use of it: Mainly, it'll be my suitcase. I want to have the ability to roll it like normal and put it over my back when need be.

So, this a good deal?
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:59 AM

I would never suggest a wheeled backpack. I would pick either a properly fitting normal backpack or a small wheeled suitcase. My reasoning is that the frame, handle, wheel mechanism is fairly heavy (~5 lbs) and I wouldn't want to have to carry that extra weight on my back.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:25 AM

I think Rick Steves used to sell a roller that converted to a backpack, and then discontinued it because people reported that basically they NEVER used it as a backpack. Plus, a lot of people travel with a roller AND something they have on their shoulder (a tote, purse, and or small backpack). So it gets redundant.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM

I agree...choose one or the other...not something that does neither very well.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 06:25 PM

If you want a really good backpack I would suggest going to a local outdoors shop you trust (eg in Canada, Mountain Equipment Coop,maybe Cabala's??). Have a look at their packs and the features you want. Get them to fit it to you properly.

My mother has tried all forms of luggage - suitcases with and without wheels, duffle bags with and without wheels, backpacks with and without wheels. Since I finally got her setup with a quality well fitted backpack she swears she'll never go back.

You can get backpacks that convert to over the shoulder backs (back straps zip away and you attach a shoulder strap) so that it can look like normal luggage if you need something a little fancier.

Just my thoughts. I love my backpack - use it for travelling the world and hauling groceries from the grocery store each week!