Back packs and Birkenstocks in Paris

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:16 PM
mia

Back packs and Birkenstocks in Paris

We'll be going to Paris, first time, next week. Have read many postings on this site, and gotten so much good info..merci, merci! I want to wear my Birkenstocks! They're so comfy! And to layer clothes would like to have my back pack,(my visa and passport safe in leg wallet) Are these just strictly taboo, or what? Not too concerned with looking like a tourist..I Am a Tourist! But neither do I want to look like a big jerk

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Maggie

Hi Mia,
Wear your Birkenstocks, take your back pack, be a tourist and just enjoy.
You will see many other people similarly attired.
Regards,
Maggie.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
xxx

I happen to find Birkenstocks to be one of the ugliest kinds of shoes ever created by man (sorry), but lots of people swear they're very comfortable. So by all means wear them since, if you're going to do a lot of walking, you'll want shoes you find very comfortable.

A backpack is fine too. Just don't put any valuables in it.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:12 PM
janis

Be prepared to check your backpack at some museums, galleries and department stores. In many places they are not allowed inside - but if that is the case there is always a place to check them. That is another BIG reason to not have any valuables in a pack.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 06:43 PM
nancy

Definitely wear the shoes you like best. I finally bought some really good walking shoes (ugly) but my feet and back didn't hurt with all the walking I did in Paris. My sister used a very small backpack which someone tried to "pick" on the metro (I foiled them . After that, at least on the metro, she carried it in front.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:42 PM
mia

Thank You!! I'll be the tourist in Paris with the Birkenstocks and backpack....and havin a good time!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:05 AM
Susie Q

Please be careful with your backpack. I can't count the times I've been whacked when someone wearing a backpack turned around and smacked right into me.