Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Back last night after 8 days in London. Some observations for Dec visitors.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:24 PM
janis

The last week has been VERY cold in London. Average highs in the low-mid 30's F but mostly dry. Cold winds off the North Sea and everyone is totally bundled up. Check the weather reports before you leave, but unless there is a warming spell be sure to take head scarves/hats, gloves, warm socks and LOTS of layers. The museums/department stores seem to be even warmer than usual so you need to be able to remove layers to comfortably see things.<BR><BR>The Leicester Square 1/2 price ticket booth is carrying more shows that never used to be there - some are only discounted 25% but My Fair Lady, Elaine Stritch, etc. are regularly on offer. <BR><BR>If you want to see the great Judi Dench and Maggie Smith in Breath of Life before the run ends -- the theatre releases the front row and a few scattered singles and returns at 10AM the day of performance. No need to get there hours early - I was by there in the morning several times (and got tickets once) and 9:30 AM is plenty early.<BR><BR>MamaMia gets better every year. During the reprise everyone (except a very few) are up dancing in the aisles.<BR><BR>Don't let anyone tell you the crowds are down in London - the traffic is measurably worse than in the past. And some tube stations are regularly closed due to over crowding. Always have an alternate in case this happens to you. Especially in the West end - Oxford Circus, Covent Garden, Leicester Sq, Picadilly Circus, etc - platforms can be closed for short or long periods. This most often happens on Weekend evenings but can happen any time.<BR><BR>Despite the crowds, the tube is by far the fastest way to get around. Surface traffic is REALLY congested so buses and cabs can be slower than walking! And if the traffic wasn't bad enough - the whole center around Trafalgar Square is torn up with construction so that part of town is even more congested.<BR><BR>The Xmas decor is great - some of the stores have really done it up big. Harrods is opening on Sundays for the first time in its history and is open til 8 PM on week nights. (oh, the Harrods exit from Knightsbridge tube station is also often closed off due to excessive crowds)<BR><BR>There is a terrific temporary ice skating rink in the Somerset House courtyard. It is really beautiful with special lighting and a big christmas tree and open late.<BR><BR>On the tube - have a plan if you get separated. I never thought of that because the tube is 2nd nature to me. But in 7+ days I observed 5 separate instances where part of a family or group got into a crowded car while others hesitated about the crammed car and did not get on. 4 of these were obviously American families/groups. if this happens - don't panic. Simply have a plan B to get off at the next station and wait for the rest on the next train. IT WILL HAPPEN

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Ian

Janis<BR><BR>Thanks for the great observations &amp; hints. Your idea about family separation is especially good.<BR><BR>Ian

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:30 PM
excited about

We are going to London soon and I am interested in the skating rink. Is it open to anyone, do they have rental skates? Where is Somerset House?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 12:54 AM
HildaOgden

janis, you made a very good point about the tube stations closing due to overcrowding and thinking about having an alternative. London is packed at this time of year!

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 03:55 AM
david west

Somerset House is the opposite side of the Thames from Waterloo station.<BR><BR>They do indeed have skates to rent.<BR><BR>There is another rink at Broadgate in the city if this is your sort of thing.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Debbie

Hi Janis,<BR>Thanks for taking the time to post. This is just the kind of info I needed!<BR><BR>Happy Holidays,<BR>Debbie

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Karen

Janis,<BR><BR>Thanks for the tips! I am going in January, so hopefully won't have the Christmas crowds, but still great tips to keep in mind! (Especially Harrod's, as I attempt to fight the crowds to take part in the after-Christmas sales!).<BR><BR>Happy travels!<BR>Karen

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:21 AM
kevin ashley

why would tube stations close if they were too busy? Wouldnt that make the problem worse?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Jen

Um, I believe that they close to new people *entering* the station, but allow people to exit.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:02 AM
aj

Janis,<BR><BR>Thanks for the information. I had to laugh about the back up plan regarding separation on the tube! This happened to my husband and I on our last trip to London. He got on and I just could not make it before the doors closed. I really gave him a &quot;look&quot; as the train was pulling out of the station and I guess some of the men standing next to him on the train said maybe he was better off without me!!! Any way I just stayed put and he caught the next train back to get me. It is a funny story to tell now! We are going this Jan with 3 extra family members and we will be sure to discuss what to do ahead of time.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 01:03 PM
janis

aj: Glad you found each other Going back to the station will often work -- BUT at some stations the two platforms are confusingly separated and finding each other could be a problem. That's why I suggested getting off at the next station and waiting. That way it is easy to find each other on the platform. <BR><BR>kevin: jen answered your question. They do not allow anyone to board the trains but do (usually) let people off. <BR><BR>Additionally - some stations can be completely closed - i.e. the trains don't even stop. This is usually because of a security alarm or something of the sort.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Mark

The weather is VERY cold even for us Londoners at this time so think layers and you can't go wrong. Some days are much warmer than others but we are going through a cold spell at the moment.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:31 AM
topper

topping for all the &quot;Christmas in London?&quot; posters.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 09:52 AM
lynn

Those are good tips, Janis, thanks. When we were in London several weeks ago, we noticed many Tube stations were closed for renovations, so that's another thing to check before embarking.

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Karen

Also in London last week. The weather wasn't the greatest, but I made the most of the situation. Rain, wind and chilly temperatures aren't a problem indoors. <BR><BR>The one area I had a problem with was the lack of street signs. In the U.S. you look for a pole with the street names on it. In London, sometimes the street name was posted on a building, sometimes no markings. It was hard following my map when I couldn't find street names.<BR><BR>Also, in some tube stations there are signs saying to stay left, others you stay right. Sometimes no signs. In those cases I usually followed others (who were walking left, right, and in the middle.)

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:39 AM
ttt

ttt