Back from Spain: report later

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned Monday (June 23) from 17 days in Spain--Rioja, Cantabria, Asturia, Galicia. Thanks to so many of you (and of course, especially Maribel) who answered my questions and whose reports I read before we charted this wonderful trip.

Unlike poor BobtheNavigator, we had near perfect weather. Only one really drippy day and lots of sun. Temps in the low 60s and mid 70s made walking a complete pleasure--until we got to Madrid for our last two days before flying home and faced temps of 98 F. oof da!

I ate percebes (goose barnacles) and liked them. We stayed in a wonderful variety of good but reasonably priced hotels, about which I will report at length in a later post. We had some wonderful meals and some great food, although by the last night or two I was even happy that my DH rebelled and required his usual Chinese dinner. We certainly had some wonderful wines and saw the beautiful places where some of the best are made.

We were in Cangas de Onis on its only local feast day and saw half the female population dressed in really beautiful traditional costume. We were only blocks away from a screaming, teeming mass of red and yellow clad Spanish humanity watching Spain beat Italy for the first time in 88 years and win their World Cup quarter final match up. We survived the fishermen's strike, the truckers' strike and the taxi-drivers' strike--thank goodness.

All in all it was a near perfect trip and I'm anxious to get going and post a report. However, we're off again tomorrow, this time for 6 days in NYC to visit our son. As soon as we return, I'll pull all my notes together and produce a report (or several, maybe separating them into sights, hotels and dining so folks can read those parts of interest to them and skip the stuff that doesn't make them no never mind.)

I just wanted to say an immediate and whole-hearted thank you to the folks here whose information helped to make this one of our best trips ever--and that's saying quite a lot since we've taken more than 50 European trips over our 60 some years. So THANKS. Film at 11--or in July.
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:47 AM

Julie let me be the first to welcome you back and say that I will be waiting eagerly for your report! (With percebes details!)
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Hi Julie,
Let me be the second to wish you a warm welcome back! I too, look forward to a wonderfully detailed report of your adventures. So glad the weather cooperated!

We're off today for our five weeks in the north, first to Cantabria, then Navarra and afterwards, the Basque Country (both sides). It's a shame our dates didn't coincide, but perhaps some day! One of the best trips of your 50-wow, that's quite an accolade.
Wishing you many, many more!
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, have a wonderful time, but how could you not?

Just to let you know, we got to Bar del Puerto and to El Bombi in Santander and to 1860 at Riscal, so I can report on them. Unfortunately Arbidel in Ribadesella was closed for renovation. Culinary highlights were Casa Marcial near Arriondas and Yayo Deporta in Cambados, and, of course, tapas in Logrono.

Typing this while listening to our Tuna CD from Santiago, personally autographed by the charmer I will forever think of as "Charlie, the Tuna."
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Hi Julie, nice to see you here. I found your report very useful when I planned a trip to Venice some years ago, and I'll be very pleased to help you when you visit the south.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 04:21 AM

Glad you had a great trip Julie. I await your report.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Looking forward to your report!