B&B Reviews - Ireland

Search

B&B Reviews - Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&B Reviews - Ireland

Hi - I have been reading the posts for several months regarding trip to Ireland . Would like to know if anyone has stayed at these locations & how you liked them?

Ballinalacken Castle Hotel - near Doolin
Merriman Hotel - Kinvara
Bunratty Castle Hotel - Bunratty
Kathleen's Country House - Killarney
Legends Townhouse - Cashel
Ballaghtobin - Callan
Jury's Inn Custom House - Dublin

Would also welcome restaurant recommendations in each of the locations noted as well.

Thank you!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Of the towns you listed, we only stayed over in Killarney. We were very happy with the Chelmsford House there. http://www.chelmsfordhouse.com/

Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Regarding restaurants in Kinvara ---the Pier House was very good. We weren't as pleased with Cafe on the Quay or Keogh's.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM

Deb,

As regards dining in Doolin, do make a point of eating at either (or both) The Lazy Lobster or Bruach na haille (sp?), both located in "downtown" Doolin. Both restaurants feature creative, fresh, very tasty cuisine, along with efficient, friendly service. I've dined at both spots numerous times and would very much welcome a return trip.

While I've not stayed at Legends, the buzz about the place is quite favorable, perhaps partly due to its convenient location (in the shadow of "The Rock&quot and its reportedly good restaurant.

While in Cashel, and if you're open to a dining splurge, consider Chez Hanz. Like Legends, it's situated very close to the Rock of Cashel, and has an outtstanding reputation for quality dining.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 08:24 AM

I can recommend Legends for the room which was clean, comfortable and had a tremendous view. It wasn't a huge room or luxurious but suited us well. The restaurant is rated one of the best in Ireland by the Bridgestone guide and the hosts are very pleasant.

One note here: Legends isn't a B&B, it's a guesthouse (more a small hotel than a home) and doesn't include breakfast.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 01:27 PM

Hi DebD,

I can't comment about the other hotels you've mentioned, but I do know Jury's Custom House in Dublin. The Hotel's fine, but there's another Jury's Inn in Dublin at Christchurch which is in a much better location. If possible, I would recommend that you book Christchurch rather than Custom House.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 01:58 PM

We have stayed at Kathleen's Country House and had a wonderful time . Breakfast was delicious and we had a choice of several items each morning. The location was ideal for day trips and Kathleen helped us arrange tours and made reservations for dinner at her favorite local restaurants. I would highly recommend staying there.
Old Nov 27th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very good information.

JJBHoy - was the Christchurch location better? We'll only be in Dublin for two nights. Then off to London. Since you have been there, would you recommend the Abbey Theatre?
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 08:33 AM

In Kinvara, I liked keogh's (sp?) pub/restaurant. The Merriman is upscale, with a fine pub and excellent, if somewhat expensive, restaurant. It also has a large parking lot in the rear. Across the street is a B&B, I believe it's called Fallons, which is nice and I was told half the price of the Merriman. A half-mile down the road towards Ballyvaugn is an outstanding B&B called Conneely's. It's new, and if you have a large family or group, they also have a large separate building with 2 bedrooms, kitchen, washer/dryer and shower/bathroom. It's new and very modern. It overlooks a large field, and they had to put a wire fence up to keep the horses from sticking their noses in the kitchen window! Go to the Kinvara.com web site and look at accomodations.
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 09:24 AM

Hi DebD,

Dubliners reading this can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that the Custom House's location was in more of a financial/business area rather than a tourist area. I would guess that you'll want to spend time around Grafton St., Temple Bar & St. Stephen's Green & the Christchurch is very conveient for these. From what I recall, the only advantage the Custom House has over the Christchurch is that it's closer to the Bus Station & therefore more convenient if you're looking to transfer to & from the Airport by bus. If this is important to you (I see that you are going on to London) then the Custom House might be better but if your main objective is to enjoy all Dublin has to offer then I would definitely recommend the Christchurch. I'm afraid that I didn't visit the Abbey Theatre (I was more interested in the pub culture!) but, of course, it is world renowned so if you are interested in Irish theatre I'm sure it would be worth a visit - their website is at www.abbeytheatre.ie & this will tell you what's on during your stay.

Just a few other points which might interest you - we were generally disappointed in the area aroud O'Connell St. which was more run down than we had expected. Our favourite pub was the Oliver St. John Gogarty in Temple Bar - especially upstairs, which had great Irish music. Gallagher's Boxty Bar in Temple Bar is a good place to eat, although they could maybe be accused of overdoing the "Oirishnesss" a little. Also, you just have to visit Bewley's Cafe in Grafton St. for tea & cakes!

Hope this helps & I'll be happy to advise further if I can.

JJB

JJB
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Per your suggestions, I have looked into the restaurants that have web pages/sites and their menus look fabulous. However, I neglected to say that we will have our 11 year old son with us. Are their any "kid friendly" restaurants that you can recommend? Any and all suggestions of sites to see or miss would be much appreciated!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Hi DebD,

If you do a search on this forum for "Dublin Kids" you should find some useful threads. We've left our little darlings at home when we've visited, but I don't see you having a problem with restaurants as Dublin is full of them - there's even a Planet Hollywood if that's your thang (as the Irish say). You can also eat very well in the pubs - I know that the smaller Irish towns don't have a problem with children in pubs, but I couldn't say whether it's the same in Dublin.I would also strongly recommend the hop on-hop off tour buses - a good way to see the city & the commentary is an absolute hoot!
Old Nov 28th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your continued postings. I am feeling more comfortable every day about our trip. I did as suggested and changed our Dublin reservations to the Jury's Christchurch. Thank you -

I will continue to review the postings and make changes as necessary. Fortunately, we are not travelling until June, thus I can still use all the advise and reviews I can get - Keep them coming! Thanks!

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM

I'm embarrased to say this, but regarding kid-friendly restaurants - the larger towns have Supermac's, the Ireland version of Kentucky Fried Chicken. My grandchildren were very comfortable eating there, and gorged on the chicken fingers and chips (fries). I suppose it's about as healthy as the American fast food places!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 04:08 AM

Hi Justa a quick word for Dublin restaurants, Planet Hollywood is long gone from Dublin but there is a TGI Fridays at the top of Grafton street past the shopping Centre. Its not as good as the ones in the U.S.

My reccommendation for child friendly places are:

Elephant and Castle (Temple Bar) famous for chicken wings and do good food. Can get packed so book ahead.

Bad Ass Cafe more a light meals and pizza place. Its fun for kids as the orders are placed on clips and wheeled abouve your head to the kitchen....can't explain but its a cute gimmick.

Luigi Malones (Temple Bar) good all rounder for pizza, steaks, ribs and salads etc. I think I would like this as a kid.

Cafe/Bar/Deli (Georges Street near grafton street and temple bar) Great food at great prices and they do not take bookings. Pizza is great, salads wonderful and good value for money.

Wagamama diagonal from the Gaity Theatre off Grafton Street. Hard to see as its a basement entrance. is a fun a delicious asian food that you sit at communal tables. Its very good value and kids would like it as you can see everyone working in the kitchen. Chinese food overall is awful here but this place is a mix of asian food and very tasty.

Most/all restaurant are fine with kids as long as thay are not running around the place. You won't have a problem in Ireland. Enjoy the dublin restaurants!

Old Dec 18th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Stayed at Legends last February and it was great. The location and view could not be beat. The room and townhouse itself was lovely. Also as opposed to a previous post, our rate did include a very tasty breakfast.

The small restaurant at Legends has a legendary reputation for excellence. As I recall there were two seatings so you can't just go and hope to get a table. We did not dine there but did splurge on dinner at Chez Hanz, which is right around the corner from Legends. It was one of the most memorable evenings of our entire trip. The food, service and especially the decor was superb. It's in a former church and is breathtaking, especially for a restaurant. Loved it!
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your replies - Hoping there are others out there that can comment!
Old Jan 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM
LN

Hi

Just a quick note. In Bunratty we stayed at a lovely B & B run by Eileen Wolfe. All the rooms (I think there were 7) had baths ensuite and there were some with twin beds. The family was marvelous to us and we've stayed with them twice.

I can't remember the name of the B & B we stayed in Killarney - only the tremendous display and use of waterford crystal!! The staircases and woodworking was just gorgeous in the place but, unfortunately, I can't remember the name!!