B&B or inexpensive hotel recommendations in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if anyone had advice re: B&B's/inexpensive hotels in Italy. Particularly in Rome,Venice and Tuscany. We are hoping to stick to a budget and limit our "fancy hotel" stay to a couple of nights while we are there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:31 PM

In Rome, try the Red Rose Bed and Breakfast (www.babredrose.com) and althoug it is not in Tuscany there is another good onein Florence called the Tourist House Liberty (www.touristhouseliberty.it).

My husband and I stayed in both on our last trip and will actually be staying again at the Red Rose in a few weeks. Both places are extremely clean, friendly, and reasonable.

We choose inexpensive B&B's so that we can splurge more when we get to Venice and Capri.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM

What sort of budget do you have in mind for these places?
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Hello Dejais,

Could you tell me where the Red Rose Bed and Breakfast is located?

Is it near the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps? What is it's proximity to these places - walking distance?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:13 PM

ilovetulips, I took a look at the web site for the Red Rose. I'd say it's about 25 minutes walk to Trevi Fountain or 30 minutes to the Spanish Steps. You could also take the metro to the Spagna or Barberini stop (from Cavour, and then do a change at Termini). It wouldn't be my preferred location, but if you are trying to save money it might be a good choice, based on Dejais' recommendation.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Sorry - I got your name confused, iloveitaly.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM

You probably have found the www.venere.com site already, but it has great prices and lots of details and photos. Be sure to check under the tab "bed and breakfasts" as some of the smaller hotels are listed there. Another option is an apartment if you don't mind the lack of support staff nearby. We just returned from our first trip and found great places and amazing prices at www.vrbo.com. Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:06 AM

iloveitaly...The Red Rose is located just off Via Cavour on Via Giovanni Lanza. It is almost across the street from the Via Cavour subway stop. Also, you can walk two city blocks west and then two south and you reach the Coliseum.

While I agree with WillTravel that it is not the absolutely perfect location, we found it to be well worth it. The subway is located across the street, Termini Station is a few blocks away, and it is a quiet neighborhood at night.

The double room with en suite bath was quite large. However, the bathroom was small and a bit cramped. This room was also right off the kitchen area where each morning we met other travelers and compared notes while sharing breakfast (juice, coffee, tea, and rolls).

The hostess also joined us each morning and tried to help us with our plans although the language barrier was tough at times.

Also, a major plus....each morning we awoke to the sound of singing/chanting from the monastery across the alleyway from our window. It was like waking up in heaven!

Overall, it definitely was not the best place I ever stayed but we liked it for its privacy, location and price. It allowed us to save a lot of money that we used elsewhere on our trip.And as I noted earlier, we will be returning there in three weeks!

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:38 AM

Thank you it really does help, although I was considering moving from Barberini location if I found a lower priced room, I have decided against it since it is closer to everything walking distance.

Have a great day!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 07:01 AM
ira

Hi LB,

Where in Tuscany?

For Venice try
http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html
http://www.veniceby.com/campaniel/pages/booking.htm

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM

For Venice, try this site:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=437
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Venice: We stayed at the AL GAMBERO on Calle dei Fabbri on our last 1999 trip to Venice. They included breakfast. The hotel is located midway between the Rialto and St Marks. Found the hotel on this forum and the people were correct.

You may want to check Kathy Brown's book on Italian Inns and Itineraries. We have used her recommendations many times in Europe and found them to be very good. She specializes in the small inns. Check it out at the library or travel section in the book store.