Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Italy Trip - September 2015 - Hotel/B&B Recommendations

Jan 2nd, 2015, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - back again! Thank you for all so much for your help and advice on our itinerary.

We have nailed down dates/flights and now are researching hotel/B&B options in the cities we would like to visit. Changed order of itinerary a bit so that would could fly home from Rome instead of Naples.

Any recommendations/suggestions (on actual hotels/B&Bs or neighborhoods/areas to stay) would be great! We are looking to spend about $200-220 per night (US dollars) and would like to be within walking distance of the city center/main attractions (with the exception of Positano - would love a wonderful view!). We have decided not to rent a car.

Thank you!

Thurs 9/17 - Red Eye to Venice
Friday 9/18 - Arrive Venice in evening
Saturday 9/19 - Venice
Sunday 9/20 - Venice
Monday 9/21 - Venice / Train to Florence
Tuesday 9/22 - Florence
Wednesday 9/23 - Florence (Possible day tip to Pisa/Lucca)
Thursday 9/24 - Florence / Train to Salerno / Ferry to Positano
Friday 9/25 - Positano
Saturday 9/26 - Positano (Day trip to Capri)
Sunday 9/27 - Positano
Monday 9/28 - Positano / Train to Rome
Tuesday 9/29 - Rome
Wednesday 9/30 - Rome
Thursday 10/01 - Rome
Friday 10/02 - Rome
Saturday 10/03 - Fly home from Rome
Jan 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM

We stayed at the Westin in Venice on the Grand Canal, Westin on Lido in Venice; Hotel Accademia in Florence near the duomo and Westin Excelsior in Rome (twice). Hotel Accademia will be in your budget but the Westins might be too high unless you can score a great deal by booking early or via a clearinghouse website. All are well located (Lido was chosen for the quiet and a private shuttle boat is available all day and night long)
Jan 2nd, 2015, 10:38 AM

I recently stayed in a wonderful b&b just a few steps from the piazza della Repubblica in Florence, on the pedestrianized via del Corso. It is located within an historic palazzo, and has a marvelous panoramic terrace, sweet staff and is well within your budget. There is no sit-down breakfast (instead you get a voucher for a nearby cafe, which I find nicer because the cafe doesn't shut down at any point, so I can sleep if I want to). However, the staff mentioned to me they are soon opening a small hotel in the same palazzo, which will serve breakfast in-house, so you can inquire about that. Maybe you can get a promotional rate.

http://www.emozionicharme.it/en/index.php

Another well-estatblished favorite in the historic center, just steps from the Duomo, is Tourist House Ghiberti. It has breakfast in a solarium, and has a sauna area for restoring oneself after a long day sightseeing, and is also operated by a very helpful family.

http://en.touristhouseghiberti.com

You should always look up recent reviews on booking.com or Tripadvisor.com to see if all the details of any place to stay recommended to you really meets your personal needs, even if you book with the hotels directly. If I book way in advance, I continue to check in with the reviews to right up until I am ready to go.
Jan 2nd, 2015, 12:58 PM

In Positano, check out the Villa Gabrisa. We stayed there for a week in April, 2014. We stayed in room 5 which has a 24' x 24' balcony overlooking the Mediterranean. The views were amazing. It is a ways up the hill and a little hike to and from town, but if you don't mind that, we recommend it highly. There is a bus stop right outside. The bus takes you to the center of town in just a few minutes and it runs until midnight. The people are very nice, the included breakfast is good and there are several good restaurants just around the corner. We took a day trip to Capri via the ferry that leaves from the beach. Same with Amalfi and Ravello.
Jan 2nd, 2015, 03:47 PM

I can second the recommendation of Tourist House Ghiberti in Florence. We've stayed there several times. Just be aware there is no lobby, no entrance directly from the street, and they don't offer some services like laundry. Some guests find the staff too reserved, but they are helpful when needed.

http://en.touristhouseghiberti.com/

In Rome, we've stayed multiple times at Hotel Fontanella Borghese which is located about halfway between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona and a couple of blocks from the river.

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/en...otti-rome.html

The Fontanella Borghese has a sister hotel nearby, the Hotel Due Torri, which is a little closer to Piazza Navona.

http://www.hotelduetorriroma.com/
Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:29 PM

www.villagabrisa.it is the web site for the hotel in Positano I mentioned above. In Rome, we stayed at www.hotelteatrodipompeo.it just off Campo di Fiore. The location was great and the building is historic. It is built on the ruins of the ancient Theatre of Pompey which is where the Roman Senate was meeting when Julius Caesar was assassinated there.
Jan 2nd, 2015, 05:53 PM

We stay at Hotel Europa in Florence and have done so for years. The location is excellent. Ask for rooms facing the courtyard (very quiet). It's within your budget.

We found it on our honeymoon when Hotel Casci lost our reservation and was full despite me handing them a copy of the confirmation of our reservation. This was in 2004. The owner of Europa gave us his best suite and charged us the rate for his cheapest room. He was so kind. He has since passed away and his hardworking daughter Miriam runs the hotel. We were last in Florence in 2012 and introduced our toddler son to her. She went out in pouring rain to the Florence Disney Store to buy him coloring books in Italian and a toy car. Just wanted to give him a gift.

The hotel is basic, but you won't find nicer or more helpful owners anywhere. It's clean, safe, and within budget.

http://www.webhoteleuropa.com
Jan 3rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. I am looking into each recommendation you've listed!

Sandralist - I really like both of those Florence options and have reached out directly to both! Thank you for the recommendations! They are my current top two in Florence.

Letsgeaux - I love Villa Gabrisa in Positano. I think we could handle the up hill hike for that view. Did you reach out to them directly to book Room 5? I didn't see a specific option on the website booking.
Jan 4th, 2015, 08:42 AM

Villa Gabrisa. There are 3 rooms on the 2nd floor with the large terraces overlooking the sea. Room 5 is the middle one. We did request one of those. You can e-mail or even call them. It is a small family run place and they speak fluent English.
Jan 4th, 2015, 09:38 AM

good idea to move the trip round so you can fly out of Rome.

I would definitely stay in the central of Venice as opposed to on the Lido, as you can then get a real sense of what Venice is like in the early morning and evening, after the tourist hoards have gone. Staying on the Lido just doesn't offer that.

I like the look of Aggie's recommendation in Florence [very central and reasonably priced, especially if you can book that lovely room with the balcony and view of the Duomo] and the rates look good too.

I think that it's unlikely that you'll be able to fit Pisa into your short stay in Florence, but if you are determined, why not go one evening? - the tourists will have gone, the campo die miracoli is all lit up and is very beautiful, and you can still go up the tower, but do book in advance:

www.opapisa.it.
Jan 12th, 2015, 10:18 AM

Thank you for your interest I my thread. I am sorry it has taken me so long to respond. We decided on ca san Giorgio for Venice.
My favorite resources for lodging research were tripadvisor, google maps, and the hotel websites themselves ( are they portraying themselves honestly) then when I had a list of my favorites and the dates i would be there I emailed each of them and asked for a quote. Their responses were obviously a big factor too not only for price but willingness to help, good service etc.