B&B on Isle of Mull-recommendations please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My three sisters and I are in the planning stages of a wonderful trip to Scotland in May, 2009. (Yes, I know it is early, but we love the planning . . .)

We will be arriving in Edinburgh and leaving the same day for Calendar for one night. Then to Oban via the Trossachs for another night.

We then would like to stay on the Isle of Mull for one night. We are planning a day-trip to Iona.

Do you have any recommendations for B&B type accommodations on Mull (or Iona if you think that would be better). I have found Staffa House in Fionnphort - any experiences with them? I was looking at that area of Mull simply because of our desire to go to Iona but your recommendations about that would also be appreciated.

Our price range is around £100/night for a double (although of course this may change considerably by 2009).

This is, of course, the first of many inquiries to come. I very much appreciate your assistance . . . and your patience
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I've reserved the Seaview B&B for our stay in June 2008 - I'll let you know what it's like

The communication and help has been great so far.

http://www.seaview-mull.co.uk/
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I <b>HIGHLY</b> recommend Seaview.

Just a comment re your itinerary. If you can - I'd consider catching an afternoon ferry over to Mull instead of staying in Oban. There is a LOT to see on Mull/Iona so 2 nights/1 full and 2 partial days would be better.

You'll want to visit Iona of course, plus a boat trip at least to Staffa/Fingall's Cave, a drive around the Isle (Calgary Bay/Tobermory, etc) Craignure/Torosay Castles. And that doesn't even include time for the Treshnish Isles.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

GreenDragon - please do let me know about Seaview. That will be perfect timing.

Janis - this is indicative of our problems regarding Scotland: so much to see, not nearly enough time. I had thought of staying two nights on Mull, mostly because I am trying to stay 2-3 nights in each B&amp;B. My only concern is that we may have quite a late arrival since we want to see some of the Trossachs on the way and I haven't checked the ferry timetables yet. But we will definitely consider it.

Thanks to you both and you will be hearing from me again
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:27 AM

www.tripadvisor.com has some B&amp;Bs as well as hotels on Mull. See http://tinyurl.com/27hx4j
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Mimar. I did check tripadvisor.com - that is where I found Staffa House. I just feel more comfortable with recommendations from fellow Fodorites - and the Seaview B&amp;b looks wonderful!
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM

janisj, thanks, it's good to know you recommend Seaview - makes me feel a lot better about the reservation. I second guess myself a LOT

We are staying three nights on Mull, and it's our last non-city stay in Scotland. After that it's off to Glasgow and then home.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I've stayed at Sea View twice. Immaculately clean, great cooking. They will do (or at least did - things may have changed) an evening meal too w/ advance notice. The freshest fish - but heck, it IS an island

Practically next door is the Keel Row restaurant/pub which also served terrific food.

Request one of Seaview's front bedrooms and you will wake up looking across the sound w/ a clear view of Iona Abbey from your bedroomm window.

Sit out on the little beach across the road from the B&amp;B and watch the amazing sunset - the sun sets directly behind Iona and the colours can be awesome.

Yep - you need 2 nights
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:39 AM

That sounds like a delightfully relaxing evening's entertainment, janisj