Need hotel help in London

Oct 8th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Need hotel help in London

Hello everyone, I am trying to plan a trip to London for 3 nights. I will be traveling by myself. My daughter is performing in the London New Years Day parade and I want to go over basically just to see the parade. It starts at Westminster and passes Trafalgar Square, up to Picadilly and ends at Green Park. My plans are to meet her at Westminster before the parade starts and get a bunch of pics then run though back streets to another vantage point and grab more pics and repeat if you get my drift. I know it will be crowded but I have done this before in other large cities and managed. Since I will be by myself for a couple of days I would like to do a little sightseeing so I want to be close to the main attractions but my biggest concern is being close to the parade route. Could you recommend any hotels around this general vicinity that would also have close access to the tube or other means of puplic transport. Sorry I am very unfamiliar with London. I have spent a lot of time in airports there waiting on connections and that is the extent of my London time. I know I will be tired but I am limited to the time I can get off work. Price is not a major concern for the hotel but I don't exactly want to pay 5 star prices. I am fine with clean and a private bath.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I truly appreciate it.
April
[email protected]
Oct 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Weekender

I would suggest the Renaissance Chancery Court, a Marriott property. Lovely hotel, two minutes from the Holborn stop on the Picadilly Line which will also provide easy access around London as well as to Heathrow. www.marriott.com. (AAA discount available, too.) Also, suggest you look at www.tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews.

Oct 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Map of route - www.londonparade.co.uk/spectators/map.asp

Map of Central London - www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/centlond.pdf

Off hand I can't think of a route whereby you could follow the parade without being on the main route

I suppose you could run up Horse Guards and catch them as they turn into Regent Street (via the Duke of York Steps beside the ICA). You could then cut along Pall Mall & up St James's Street to catch them near the end
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM

There are several very nice hotels right at/near Trafalgar Square/Charing Cross station. A Thistle at Charing Cross, the Strand Palace just up the street, a hilton at Tr. Square and the Royal HorseGuards - and several others. These would be much closer to the Parade route than the Chancery Court.

I'd probably choose the Royal Horseguards - really like the hotel.

(Of course, there is always the Ritz which is next to the parade's finish - but probably above your pay grade - I know it's above mine )
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:13 PM

London is one place where Priceline can get you a good deal. Look at their maps of how they section off London then look at Biddingfortravel.com to see what kinds of deals people are getting. Enjoy your trip.
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

I woudl not recommend Chancery Court (becase of the location). I would recommend Marriott County Hall which is just across Westminster Bridge from Westminster Tube. I have stayed there half a dozen times in the last 18 months of so and try to stay there each time I am in London. have also stayed at Chancery Court and I prefer County Hall. Thistle Horseguards is also very close to the start of he route and is a good hotel but I prefer County Hall. I am not a fan of Thistle Charing Cross
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:38 PM

The Marriott County Hall is very nice - especially if you have points. It is directly across the river from the Parade start
Oct 8th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Premier Travel Inn, County Hall. Same building as the recommended Marriott (at the south end of Westminster Bridge) but about half the price. Very nice family hotel, but admittedly not a Marriott. I stayed there all last week and found it very satisfactory. Whatever you decide, book now.
Oct 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM

The best idea is to book a hotel near by like The Club Quarters hotel at 8 Northumberland Avenue in Trafalgar square .Don't miss a sightseeing boat trip along river Thames, check here
http://www.hotelara.com/england/
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all the great advice, I am checking all the recommendations out now.
Thanks again,
April
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
yk

Checking on Travelzoo and saw a good deal on the Cavendish Hotel. It's btw Piccadilly and Green Park, so that location should serve you well.

Current deal is £85/night from mid-Dec to mid-Jan.
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/international-hotels/329874
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:54 PM

We've stayed three times at the Holiday Inn Mayfair, which is located pretty much at the finish of the parade. It is just off Piccadilly, so great access to bus lines and less than a block from the Green Park tube station where three tube lines corss. The hotel is quite comfortable and features 2 double beds per room (don't know if your daughter will be with you - there may be smaller rooms)

I've stayed at Royal Horseguards also, which is a VERY lovely hotel but I honestly didn't like the location as well. Also it's more expensive. We were able to get a fairly good weekend rate.

Anyway, here's what I wrote in my trip report about those two hotels:

Upsides of the Royal Horseguards: The hotel was quite charming, and I liked our room a lot. The room came with a huge walk in closet. Also, it was quite convenient to the Westminster area, St. James Park, Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden, and the London Eye.

Downsides: We werenít at the hotel very much to enjoy it AND I thought the area immediately around the hotel was kind of dead. The Embankment tube station was about 2 blocks away (not terribly far, but not as close as the HI Mayfair is to Green Park).

On balance I prefer the Holiday Inn Mayfair because I like the neighborhood and the amazing access to the tube (although the Horseguards hotel itself was nicer.) I think the tube lines that go through Green Park station are more versatile, but it might just be that Iím more accustomed to them.
Oct 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Mui

Please DO NOT choose Royal Horseguards Thistle. We were just there a week ago. Don't like it at all. Only good thing about it is the location. You can walk to SOHO, theatre district easily.
Oct 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM

just a comment - Mui clearly didn't enjoy their stay a the Royal Horseguards. But really that is a minority opinion. I've stayed ther several times over many years and never had a less than lovely stay.
Oct 17th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Except for the parade, New Years Day is really slow in London: shops closed, residents hungover, minimal traffic, etc. So getting around the crowded city isn't that big a deal (do note holiday restricted schedules on the Underground and buses).

That said, I think the Holiday Inn Mayfair is a great choice for the parade route. Perfect location and (for London) moderate priced. Another choice is the Stafford (4*+) just south of the Ritz and the Chesterfield Mayfair (4*) a few blocks north, near Berkeley Square. And yet another 4* nearby is the Sofitel St. James.

Dave
email at KidsToLondon.com