B&B IN DOOLIN OR BALLYVAUGHN

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AM GOING TO DOOLIN OR BALLYVAUGHN FROM SHANNON 1ST DAY--COULD YOU RECCOMMEND B&B CLOSE TO TOWN--IS IT AN EASY DRIVE OR WOULD ENNIS BE A BETTER IDEA? THANKS
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 01:51 PM

If you go to Doolins - make sure you go to Gus's Pub. If you go to Ballyvaughn - make sure you go to Monks for a meal - delicious!

I can't recommend a B&B - sorry.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 02:31 PM

I think it is a pretty easy drive to both Doolin and Ballyvaughan. In Doolin, I've stayed at Daly's House. (www.dalys-house.com)
Doolin doesn't really have a town center. Instead, it's spread out along 2 or 3 miles of road. Ballyvaughan is more centralized. I've never stayed there because I base myself just down the road in Kinvara.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:51 PM
mkd

I cannot recommend a B & B in Ballyvaughn but can suggest the Hylands Burren hotel, which runs specials and puts you into the heart of the village walkable to Monk's or O'Brian's pubs and the very nice shops. We traveled in July,on our first day, from Shannon, to the Cliffs, then to Doolin, 'round the Bay to Ballyvaughn where the Hylands was a good first two nights' stop for the neophytes in the trip. It is billed as a hotel,but actually it is an expansion on an old stagecoach inn. (small hotel eccentric, good pub, biggish rooms for Ireland, house/itinerant dog waiting next to the kitchen door) Ask for the skylight rooms, which have a good size bath, again for Ireland. After it's initial traditional comforts, the more unique and personal attentions of guesthouses, B&B's and farmhouses were cast in contrast and the mix, (which I planned) was intended to cover the possible and many ways to accommodate 6 diverse adults.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:17 PM
mjs

i can reccomend the Drumcreehy house for a B and B in Ballyvaughan. Very clean with nice rooms, inexpensive. Modern as opposed to old and very comfortable. Short drive to town on the main road.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Cullinan's guesthouse in Doolin was great. During the high season, their restaurant is supposedly pretty good! (I went off season, so I didn't get to try it out, but the breakfasts were wonderful.)
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Hello...I can second the suggestion for Drumcreehy House just outside of Ballyvaughn. Best Breakfast in our 22 days in Ireland in May,June! Sidebar was something to behold--just abiut every fruit one could think of, plus cold cuts, prosciutto. Nice, modern BandB with friendly hosts. Helen
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 07:55 PM

I am trying to find local crafters in the area or artist......any ideas to help here????

Looking to buy from local crafters and artists. Please email me at [email protected]
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 06:53 AM

We stayed in Cullinan's last week, and I believe they said they were shutting down the restaurant for dinners this weekend. That's a shame, because it is great.

If you choose Cullinan's, try to avoid rooms 9 and 10, which are on the small stream at the back. They have a nice view, with water rushing past, and they are modern, but they are tiny. There is virtually no surface area for luggage, and the shower floor is 24 by 24 inches, with an opening of about 18 inches. This is a bit snug... I have been on cruise ships with bigger showers.

Other rooms, I understand, are fine. They were completely booked during our visit, and 9 and 10 were our only choices.

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I stayed at Cullinan's last year and had a nice, comfy big room that was through the sitting room. Only problem with it was that they had people having dessert in the sitting room until 10:30 and we could hear everything and couldn't fall asleep. I personally would not stay in Doolin again, but would choose Ennis or Galway because Doolin doesn't have much to do. Of course, that may be what you want, but I wish last year that I had continued to Galway.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I can also reccomend Drumcreechy House-but it books fast-small # of rooms. We also liked the Ballyvaughn Lodge-very nice rroms and clean. Munks Pub is a must!!!
Old Oct 8th, 2004, 11:48 AM

We stayed at Riverfield House a couple of weeks ago. It is in the upper part of Doolin, on the way to the pubs. The place that was highly recommended to us was full. I think it was called Churchview?? Large terracotta house, also on the upper road.

We went to the pub in town for a drink on Saturday afternoon (Gus's), but our hosts directed us to one of the upper publs McDermids??? for the evening, saying that it was much more "local" and less touristy. Great food and music.

The silversmith on the main street has some gorgeous stuff!!!

Alison
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Churchfield B&B right across the street from Mcdermonts pub also for your info the lazy lobster and cullens are closed for the season
lizard
Old Oct 18th, 2004, 07:48 AM

we just got back and stayed at Cullinan's. It was very good and I would recommend it. The drive is easy. We got in at 7:30 a.m. and had plenty of time to drive to Doolin plus do a great deal of sightseeing. Doolin is wonderful.
Old Oct 25th, 2004, 02:54 PM

Sea View House in Doolin normally gets good reviews here. We stayed there last year and it was great. it is close to O'Connors pub too.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 03:24 PM

We just got back! We stayed in Doolin our first night. We stayed at Ballyvara B&B, which was outstanding! heated towel bars and all. Becky couldn'y do enough for us, fabulous breakfast as well. This B&B is beautiful. The best place to eat (which was open, while others are not) is the Doolin Cafe. Don't think of this as a "cafe" in the American sense ... we had a "fine" meal, great meal! Anyother questions, let me know - it's still fresh in my mind