Avoiding "exciting" roads in Andalucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a car and plan to travel from Granada to Ronda to Seville, perhaps with a stop in Nerja to see the Balcony of Europe. On certain roads, I am a white-knuckle passenger, always sure that my husband is about to drive us off a cliff. When on the Amalfi coast, we had no car and hired a driver, but this is not an option here. So, please recommend routes to take and routes to avoid. Thanks.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Dear axelrod,

I'm afraid of just about everything - my knuckles are permanently white and my husband also loves to chat and point and look all over as he very casually rounds a cliff edge.

I've been to Amalfi and to Andalucia and really there was no comparison. I don't remember being scared in Andalucia. There was one high windy route to Ronda, but we were on the inside so it wasn't scary plus there were solid looking guard rails. The roads are modern not like Amalfi and things are just not so spectacularly high like in Amalfi. We basically did the same trip you are doing - Granada to Seville to Ronda to Malaga. I survived and you will too

gruezi
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

I would go to an internet map service and see what the suggested route is. A two digit road is always better than a three digit road and a four digit roads should be avoided if possible.

Especially if your path takes you through the mountains, it is always better to stick to a MAJOR highway. What appears on a map to be a shorter route on a 2-lane road will often take you much longer (and stress you out) due to the low speeds required on curvy mountain roads.

If you must use smaller roads, at least plan to drive in full daylight.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Granada to Nerja. Starts as divided highway heading south & drops to 2 lane after a while. Easy stuff - no white-knuckle. Coast road to Nerja is 2 lane through towns until around Almunecar (more was under construction) & then twisty multi-lane to Malaga. Easy again. Ditto Malaga to A-92 with an easy mountain pass to hop over. Granada to Sevilla is all easy multi-lane. It is never straight for long but easy.

We didn't drive to Ronda so I can't comment on that area.

Ian
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM

You need a good road and topographical map. Going to the white towns, such as Ronda - which are small mountain villages - take you, well through the mountains. If you stick to major roads you should be fine - many of the smaller roads can be a little interesting.

And much of southern Spain is mountainous. Exciting roads can be avoided - but you need to check the maps.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:49 AM

Theren is nothing scary in the roads around Ronda, really.
From Granada you head Seville direction, all motorway; Some miles past Antequera (which you see in the distance to the left) you take the Campillos-Ronda-Jerez detour, that'll take you to Ronda without a problem.
Going to Nerja means a considerable detour. From Nerja to Ronda it is all motorway, with some toll past Benalmadena I advise to take. Then past Marbella you go up to Ronda on that scary road everybody mentions, but you are on the inside.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM

Scary road? What is the number of that scary road?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Unfortunately, these towns are up high, so you will just have to tough it out. There really is no other way there. The highways are wonderful and wide and smooth. You can get behind a big truck and go as slow as you like. Or, you can, like someone's husband, try to keep up with the BMW in front of you which involves passing the slow trucks on curves.

But really, I've been to the Amalfi coast and these roads are much wider and Ronda is worth it.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

All of this information is very helpful - and reassuring. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM

amsdon,

There are plenty of them - one that got to me was A-372 between Benamahoma and Grazalema.

The simplest thing to do is look at Google maps in satellite mode for your route - if you see the road winding along a mountain ridge with NO development between villages, that's a sign of "fun" driving.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:08 AM

bardo, it must be that we are used to, but last year I drove the white towns (including Benamahoma to Grazalema), and found them okay. No stress, a bright sunny day, and a mirador with a great view. Now, I would not take these roads if I were in a hurry, there are other possibilitie.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM

axelrod6,
I've driven from Granada down to Nerja on the coast, over to San Pedro de Alcántara and up on the "infamous" road to Ronda, the A 369, all by myself. The highway (a 369) to Ronda really isn't that "scary" going up because:

1) going up you'll be hugging the inside
2) it's wide enough to be used by tour buses, trucks, construction equipment
3) it's well maintained

What you will find on these 47 kilometers are non-stop curves, practically from start to finish, so as the driver you need to remain alert and let your passengers enjoy the spectacular views! And because of these curves, I wouldn't enjoy going down (on the outside, next to the cliffs, late at night.
And the drive can be slow, if you find yourself behind a truck or bus.
www.viamichelin.es estimates the driving time from the coast up to Ronda to be about 50 min.
Of all the "challenging", "adventurous" roads I've taken in Spain in nearly 40 years, the Ronda road doesn't rank at or even near the top of my list, but my husband and I have done lots and lots of mountain driving in both the north and south.

I haven't been on it for many years, but I do remember the A 9104 (yellow road) between Zahara de la Sierra and Grazalema, through the Puerto de las Palomas mountain pass as being quite an adventure. It may be far less so now.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel - I appreciate the additional extra info.