Avila

May 1st, 2006, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Avila

Going to Spain with my sister-in-law and she wants to visit the village of Avila, a day trip away from Madrid, because her last name is "Avila." Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on how to make this day trip (e.g. full service tour operator, bus only tour operator, getting there on our own by public transportation)? What are the "must-sees" in Avila?
May 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM

The Avila I visited is more than a village, it is a town surrounded by an impressive wall, best seen from the other side of the valley on the west side. It has many churches and is well worth a day's visit.
May 2nd, 2006, 04:42 AM

there are frequent buses and trains to avila.
you can spend the entire day there with no problem.

unless you feel more comfortable with a tour, (which may also include another town on the way there or back) then you CAN wander around on your own with the normal tourist info and have a good feel for the city.

there is a lovely parador there with a garden area. nice rest stop.

i find it is especially impressive at ngihtwhen the walls are lit.
so, a late evening return would give you that pleasure.

May 2nd, 2006, 06:59 AM

Eat yemas de Santa Teresa! They make them there and are these really delicious candies. I really like them, though I have heard they are an acquired taste.

Avila is a wonderful place for walking and exploring, and is totally do-able by yourselves. There are tour operators and such, but I really enjoyed soloing it.

And remember what Santa Teresa de Avila said: More tears are shed over answered prayers than unanswered ones.

Some of the soundest advice I have ever gotten.
May 3rd, 2006, 04:27 PM

I suggest you stay overnight at the Parador there--we did and it was really delightful. The ancient wall is the draw, and it is incredible, but the garden at the Parador equals it in my eyes.