Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a Website that has more information about visiting Royal Monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe? The only one I can find does not seem to be working or for some reason I can't get access. I am trying to determine days/hours for touring.

Thank you!
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM

in spanish

http://www.monasterioguadalupe.com/

this is from 2006. lists the masses and an email address.

the local tourist office should know the visiting hours.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM

you can find the hours from the navigation bar under "Otros" on the website which lincasanova mentioned:

open from 9.30am - 1pm and from 3.30pm - 6.30pm

entrance fee is €4, groups and seniors (65+) €3, and for kids 6-14 €1.50
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM

als0107,
The church itself is open from 9-8 but
the required 45 min. guided tours of the monastery (in Spanish) are given daily in the hours that Cowboy has posted. This is the only way to see the wonderfully and richly embroidered clerical vestments in the Sala de Bordados, to see the illuminated choral books, to tour the pinoteca with its El Grecos and Zurbaráns and to reach the camarín, where behind the altar the image of the Virgin is revolved so that visitors can see her up close.

You can purchase a visitors guide to the site in English (a couple of euros) before your tour.

We drove from Trujillo where we were based and arrived for the first guided tour, then after visiting the complex, we strolled around the town and had an early lunch at the Parador.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM

As Maribel implicitly recommends do not miss the complete visit of this fascinating place. Visits are guided and wonderful.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM

als0107,
Should have also mentioned that before departing Guadalupe, we took a short drive outside of town on the EX 118 north up to the view point at the Ermita del Humilladero, where there's a little hermitage built in mudéjar style, for spectacular panoramic vistas of the valley. It's a very pretty drive.

Or if you had extra time, you could drive in the opposite direction, on the EX 102, east to Alía to visit the Gothic-Moorish 15th century church of
Santa Catalina, one of the most beautiful religious buildings in Extremadura and one of the best examples of mudéjar architecture remaining in the region.

Don't know if you've found this, but
www.turismoextremadura.com
might be very helpful in planning your trip to the region.

The tourist board and its local offices distribute excellent free guides in English (of book quality, some up to 100 pages), such as
"Weekend Routes"
"Museums and Collections"
"Tourist Paths"
"Festivals"
"Gastronomic Routes"
"Historic/Artistic Routes"
"Ecotourism"
They enriched our adventures in this beautiful (and often under-rated) region enormously.

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM

here is a link to a lovely guesthouse complex we stopped at .

http://www.fincasantamarta.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Ahhh, thank you so much for all the information! I can't believe I somehow could not find that site. Thank you! We will definately take the tour (the Spanish will be fine for DH and I as well as my parents...MIL and FIL will have to make due with the guide and pestering DH with questions).

We are planning only one night in Guadalupe and planning on staying at the parador. I will have to check out the other sites you mentioned and see if we can see them on the way in or out of town.
Thank you again!
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:44 AM

The detours that I mentioned above are a short drive from the Parador but would be a detour from your drive to Zafra. The drive up to the Hermitage is the quickest one and gives really great views of the town and valley.

And the Finca Santa Marta that lincasanova notes, you will pass on the Ex 208 heading to Guadalupe from Trujillo.

Old Apr 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions. We had a lovely time in Guadalupe and the town, Parador and tour of the monastery were a hit with our group. In fact, we ended up dragging our feet so much not wanting to leave town and lingering way too long over lunch that we were unfortunately unable to do the detour on the way to Zafra. It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Thank you again!