Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a budget stay in San Sebastian - fruitless! Ideas?

Apr 21st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I am looking for a place to stay the 8th and 9th of July in San Sebastian. My friends and I can't really afford to stay anyplace for over $50 but at this rate it looks like we will be sleeping under a bridge. Can anyone please help? We are getting desperate.
Apr 21st, 2006, 10:51 PM

Is that $50/night for everyone, or only one person? There are a few places, but you may end up on the beach.

The Bahía, San Martin, 54 Bis has some rooms starting at 50 euros/night. The Kursaal, Peña y Goñi, 2, has accommodations starting at 48 euros/night. The Terminus is listed at 49 euros/night on up, while the Urumea, Guetaria, 14, has rooms beginning at 46 euros/night. And that's about it.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:04 AM

As I was leaving San Sebastian in January a woman approached me to offer a room for the night. I told her I was leaving for Lisbon but that I would have a look at her place for future reference.

It is clean and looks comfortable. It's a 5 minute walk from the main station. The name is Pension Fany. €25 for one and €35 for 2. Telephone 943-421128. Spain country code is 34.

San Sebastian is a beautiful city and has a very attractive beach. Do a search on this forum for San Sebastian and you'll learn a lot, especially about the tapas!

Apr 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM

Though it seems you want reservations beforehand, I have just shown up in Sanse on 3 different occasions and found budget accommodation (less than what you are asking) easily. Make your reservations knowing that you might be able to change them once you get there for something better.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM

You are going to be there during the festival in Pamplona which is a short drive away. I know from my sweetie that a lot of folks stay in San Sabestian and then drive over to Pamplona for the day, therefore room may be hard to come by if you don't make reservations. As for your budget, sorry I can't help you there. Just wanted to give you a heads up that it will probably be crowded then.
Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM

csroe is right. San Fermín is over on the 7th and then the partiers flock to the beaches and Sanse is one of them. So, definitely reserve first, but it will be more expensive on those days than usual.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM

The Fiesta de San Fermín runs from the 6th through the 14th of July, 9 days, not one, and yes, a number of people travel between San Sebastian and Pamplona during the fiesta, but it’s mostly people who live in Guipúzcoa.

Mid-July is high season in San Sebastian-Donostia for several reasons. 15 July is the day most people head to the beach to begin their holiday. The jazz festival season begins the first of July in Getxo, the 9th in Vitoria and the 23rd in San Sebastian, which draws thousands of additional visitors to the city.
Apr 24th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Sweet. Thanks for the suggestions! Many of the places are all booked, and I'm still waiting a response from some of the other ones. Will I sleep in a dumpster with my friends while I'm in Spain? We will see but I'll keep you guys posted.
Apr 25th, 2006, 01:19 AM

donŽt worry youŽll find something!!, hereŽs a list with pensions and hostels, problably have checked some of them but there are lots!

http://www.infohostal.com/guia/guipu...sebastian/1340
Apr 25th, 2006, 03:23 AM

We stayed at Pension Bikain
http://www.pensionbikain.com.
It was very clean, comfortable, central and quite cheap for August.
May 3rd, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

We found a place! Every place including Pension Bikain and all the other places mentioned were completely booked but I found a few places that still had rooms through Cristina's link. No dumpster for us! Thanks!