Search

Avignon Train Station and Eurocar Rental Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avignon Train Station and Eurocar Rental Question

Hi, All

We will be renting a car in Avignon for several days. When we return the car we will be taking the train to Paris. The question is regarding the train station(s). Are there two in Avignon? Because we are returning the car to Eurocar near the TGV station - and it appears that our train tickets are from Avignon Centre. When we purchased the tickets we were not aware that there may be more than one train station.

Shall we change the tickets? We are not planning to spend time in Avignon that day - simply drive in, return car, hop on train.

Unless we have to drive in, return car, take bus to different station, hop on train.

Does anyone know and can help guide us?

Many thanks PK (aka Cabo)
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Getting a car (and returning it) is much better at Avignon-TGV, but it is not at the end of the world if you cannot change your ticket. There is a very fast shuttle train between the two stations, but the schedule is based mostly on the Avignon-TGV arrival schedules.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:39 AM

I might change tickets if I easily could, otherwise, there is a free shuttle bus between the two, I believe. There are some TGVs from Avignon Centre, depends what you booked. I don't know how you could not notice it, if you start typing in Avignon to the SNCF booking website, both names come up automatically for you to choose from.

There aren't that many TGVs from Avignon Centre, most itineraries would involve a transfer at Avignon TGV anyway (a TER to Avignon TGV then a TGV to Paris). However, that is usually shorter than taking a TGV from Avignon Centre proper, actually, so as far as time goes, the transfer works.

If your tickets are to Avignon Centre you are getting on a train there, the ticket itself must tell you if you have to transfer or not.

I believe you are really going to Europcar, I don't think there is a company named Eurocar.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Alternatively you could also see if you can return the car to the "city station" agency if the tickets aren't able to be changed. The car is generally easy to do. That said, the TGV station is really set up for returning cars easily so it you can change your train tickets that might make life easier.
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Great Thank you all! Big help. I will try to change the tickets - and yes, Christina, I'm sure it does give both options - i just didn't know what i was looking for to begin with.

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 09:35 PM

I think all the trains from Avignon centre to Paris change in Avignon TGV. So you should have no problem.
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 01:37 AM

There are direct trains to Paris from both stations, same as the two stations in Lille.
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again! I am going to verify - but it looks as if I can board at TGV using the same ticket. Your input helped!
Old Sep 8th, 2019, 07:57 PM

All seats are reserved on a TGV, so you cannot use the same ticket. You need to go through the exchange process.