Avignon restaurants and markets in area

Old May 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Susan

Avignon restaurants and markets in area

Does anyone have information on the markets in and around Avignon. Will be there two days in early June and would like to find some nice French things for my home. What about great places for lunch and dinner?

Old May 18th, 2002, 04:41 AM
PB

You don't say which days you'll be in Avignon, but here are a few.<BR><BR>There is a large market in Avignon (mostly food) on Saturday mornings - it runs along the inside of the city walls - a good starting point is just across from the train station.<BR><BR>There is an antique market every Saturday morning in Villeneuve lez Avignon.<BR><BR>Sundays there is a big market plus antique market in l'Isle sur la Sorgue - about thirty minutes by car from Avignon<BR>Restaurants:<BR>La Petite P&ecirc;che <BR>Small restaurant - close tables. Very good seafood. A nice place for lunch.<BR>13, rue Saint-Etienne Tel: 04 90 86 02 46<BR><BR>Belle Arti <BR>If you have a taste for Italian food, this is a nice place for lunch. The owner/chef is from Naples so it's not a French version of Italian.<BR>19, rue des Lices Tel: 04 90 27 30 24<BR><BR>Christian Etienne<BR>A Michelin starred restaurant in a 14thC building touching the Palais des Papes. Regional, excellent cooking. There is an outdoor terrace.<BR>10, rue de Mons Tel: 04 90 86 16 50<BR><BR>in Villeneuve-lez-Avignon<BR><BR>* Prieur&eacute; <BR>A One Star Michelin restaurant located in the hotel by the same name... the food is delicious and in fine weather you can sit outside on the terrace.<BR>Dress - dressy casual<BR>7, place Chapitre Tel: 04 90 15 90 15<BR><BR>Mon Mari Etait Patissier <BR>This place is totally different... the chef is a kook, but he cooks well. No meat on the menu, as he has a pet duck named PomPom (sometimes he brings the duck to your table to meet you). He does serve foie gras, however... so apparently geese are excluded from his no meat policy. In good weather you can sit outside under an arbor.<BR>Dress - Casual<BR>Villa Sylvie - 3, boulevard Pasteur Tel: 04 90 25 52 79<BR><BR><BR>PB<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 02:58 AM
susan

Thanks for all the information PB. Do you live in or around Avignon or are you just a very informed traveler? I will be in Avignon on a Friday and Saturday and leave on Sunday. Hope I can make the Sunday market.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:13 AM
PB

Susan,<BR><BR>I live just south of Avignon - in a village near Les Baux - Maussane-les-Alpilles.<BR><BR>PB

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Susan

PB<BR>How lucky can you get. Do you have any suggestions for a great place to eat for my family. I would like to go places that the locals would go. Eating is my favorite entertainment.

Old May 19th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Susan

PB<BR>Sorry, something in the countryside maybe not right in Avignon. We will have a car. Are the ones you mention good for teens?

Old May 19th, 2002, 05:12 AM
mimi taylor

And for others who will be in Avignon, I'd like to add a few of my favorites.<BR>Le Bain-Marie<BR>Heily-Lucullas<BR>Le Port Des Bargues(near the market) for seafood, I love oysters.<BR>Hotels Mirande and Europe for their restos.<BR>Less expensive, L'entree De Artistes, and Cafe des Artists.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:18 AM
PB

Susan,<BR><BR>I agree with Mimi about the Cafe des Artistes and the restaurant in the hotel Europe.<BR><BR>For the kids, I think they would enjoy the rather 'interesting' Mon Mari Etait Patissier (the chef has - I think he still has - a pet duck named Pom Pom that he used to introduce to the diners) and the Belle Arti.<BR><BR><BR>For a family outing, I would suggest a drive to Eygalieres (not far from St. Remy) - a perched village.<BR><BR>Le Petit Bru<BR>The baby bistro to the Michelin One Star Bistrot d'Eygalieres. More casual - very good. A set menu with two choices of entree and main course. <BR>Dine outside if possible - the inside is rather small and gets pretty noisy !<BR>Tel: 04 90 95 98 89<BR><BR>Sous les Micocouliers<BR>Situated off the main road, this restaurant always has an interesting daily menu.<BR>Lovely large terrace under the trees, it's great in the summer months.<BR>Closed Tuesday all day and Wednesday at lunchtime.<BR>Tel: 04 90 95 94 53<BR><BR><BR>Patricia<BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
PB

Here are a couple of others in St. Remy:<BR><BR>Bistrot des Alpilles - <BR>Specialities - Tagliatelli with C&ecirc;pes, Gig&ocirc;t d'agneau au ficelle. <BR>Everything on the menu is very good, the portions are copious (especially for France) and the service is friendly... there are two terraces, one enclosed and one open. <BR>Dress - Casual, although during the summer 'season' you are likely to see just about anything and everything in the way of clothing.<BR>Reservations recommended during the high season and on weekends.<BR>Moderately priced <BR>15, boulevard Mirabeau Tel: 04 90 92 09 17<BR><BR>Jardin de Fr&eacute;d&eacute;ric<BR>Small, cozy restaurant with a small outdoor terrace. Good seafood dishes. Friendly owner and service is good. <BR>Closed Wednesday and on Thursdays for lunch<BR>Dress - Casual <BR>8, boulevard Gambetta Tel: 04 90 92 27 76<BR><BR>La Serre<BR>Charming restaurant - chef is the grandson of Gaston Lenotre. Very good, inventive food, very reasonably priced.<BR>Dress - casual<BR>8, rue Commune Tel: 04 90 92 37 21<BR><BR>Grain de Sel<BR>Brand new restaurant - everyone around here loves it. Prix Fixe menu at 130, FF. Very good.<BR><BR>La Source<BR>Charming, small restaurant fairly off the tourist path. Very good food, lovely shaded terrace overlooking a garden for summer dining. Closed Wednesday<BR>13, avenue Liberation Tel: 04 90 92 44 71<BR><BR>Patricia